Vegas Video discussions from 2003 - Page 105 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old November 19th, 2003, 03:27 PM   #1561
Regular Crew

Are you using best or preview mode and do you have other processor/memory intensive things running on your PC at that time?
Old November 19th, 2003, 03:38 PM   #1562
Wrangler

No other processes- and yes I WAS running at best/full. However standard footage plays smooth when played at full size- why should this be any different. Besides I have a 3 ghz P4, and 1 gig of PC3200 XMS memory
Old November 19th, 2003, 03:47 PM   #1563
Regular Crew

hmm, not sure than what might be causing it. Let's see if anyone else comes up with an idea.
Old November 20th, 2003, 03:23 AM   #1564
Regular Crew

Native m2t editing

I tell you this tho, you can do some regedits and tweak Vegas to natively read .m2t files. This allows it to read them from the explorer and preview without opening them. I see where to allow it to render to m2t also. But I haven't been that bored or ballsey... yet.

It may be possible to transpose the codec's and file instructions from the Utility to Vegas, if I find out I'll post. Actually, It's so easy to change the registry to accept m2t files, I think vegas and Windows will handle them natively w/ a simple update-hopefully soon, so I don't have to go wrenching under the hood again.
Old November 20th, 2003, 09:45 AM   #1565
Inner Circle

Boris 3gl

Just wodneirng if ayone has this set up at all and hoping to hear their thoughts on it...

apparently its now compatible with vegas, but i havent seen any real work done with it..

anyone???
Old November 20th, 2003, 06:29 PM   #1566
Regular Crew

Turns out somethign went haywire with the maxtor hook up. I did system restore to restore prior to the maxtor install and it worked fine. Then reinstalled maxtore with no problems. Thanks everyone for the help!
Old November 20th, 2003, 09:31 PM   #1567
Regular Crew

A good free tool from Canopus, raptest :
http://www.canopus.com/US/products/free_utilities/pm_free_utilities.asp

It can be used to verify the read/write speed of your hard drive. Very easy to use (green, red, yellow ;)
A friend of mine had so many problems with a laptop, a firewire drive and his camcorder. It was a mix of : bios version, OS (2K vs XP), PCMCIA card model and firewire chipset.
The result was that the card is not fully compatible with his laptop. Using a cheaper one solved the problem (worked under 2k and XP as long as all patches are installed). Now he can capture and use the drive over firewire.

Dany
Old November 21st, 2003, 08:34 AM   #1568
Wrangler

Thanks for the heads up on the app Dany. It showed me my SATA drive on my onboard Promise controller is working fine. READ: 54mb/s WRITE: 60mb/s Although when I capture to it I drop frames like crazy.
It enabled me to narrow down the solution. I found out capturing using my Audigy's IEEE works without a hitch. There must be something not jiving between my onboard IEEE and Promise controller.

Oddly enough I got the same read/write performance out of my OS drive but half as slow writes to my secondary hard-drive on my other intel SATA connection. Odd. I couldn't seem to get OVER 28mb/s READ performance. All the drives are the same (Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 120gig SATAs), and the two additional drives (ones without the os) are completly empty.
Old November 22nd, 2003, 01:38 PM   #1569
Major Player

Help with registry edits?

Can you offer some hints on the reg edits to get it to include the m2t files in Vegas?
Thanks
-Les
Old November 23rd, 2003, 10:26 AM   #1570
Major Player

Is there any hint of when DVD Architect 1.x or 2.0 might be available?

It's pretty clear this market is heating up fast. Ulead's DVD Workshop 2 is a huge advance over the first version and seems to beat Adobe Encore in the feature department. Pinnacle Impression Pro is lagging badly and needs an update.

I'm going to have to buy one of these products sooner or later. I'd just as soon stick with the Vegas family and a well-integrated solution, but right now DVDA doesn't quite fill the bill. I'd much rather see DVDA 2.0 than Vegas 4.1 or even Vegas 5.0.

Will

P.S. Major features required are DVD-9 and multiple audio tracks (for commentary).
Old November 23rd, 2003, 10:36 AM   #1571
Major Player

Sonic Foundry had some excellent computer-based tutorials for Vegas 2.0. They are very professionally done -- carefully scripted, crisp and to the point. First class work.

It turns out that a lot of the Vegas 2.0 material is still valid for Vegas 4.0, a testament to the strength of the user interface design, so it's too bad the older tutorials are no longer available. (I wish Sony would just throw them into the Vegas 4.0 box with appropriate caveats.)

I've been encouraging Sony to upgrade and enhance these tutorials for Vegas 4.0. There seems to be some interest, but nothing definite.

Will
Old November 23rd, 2003, 04:28 PM   #1572
Major Player

I have a better idea...how about the two of you come on over to the states.. New Mexico to be specific, there are several of us here.
Your pal,
Randy (I ain't afraid of no Vikings) Brown
Old November 23rd, 2003, 05:45 PM   #1573
Wrangler

Better yet, east coast, AND it's closer. If it's anywhere between NY and Delaware I'm in.
Old November 23rd, 2003, 06:09 PM   #1574
Regular Crew

How about Hawaii! The weather will certainly be warmer...aloha hoy!
Randy
Old November 23rd, 2003, 07:45 PM   #1575
Regular Crew

I'll tell you where to look around...

hkey local machine>software>sonic foundry>vegas

you need to add the m2t extension to the mpeg definitions.

If your familiar w/ regedit thats enough to do it. If your still lost leave it alone.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...