Vegas Video discussions from 2003 - Page 119 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old December 26th, 2003, 09:44 PM   #1771
Sponsor: JET DV

Interesting information. Thanks for taking the time to test and to post.
Old December 27th, 2003, 01:14 PM   #1772
New Boot

Vegas 4 Uncompressed file LIMIT!!

HI! Can anyone pretty PLEASE tell if if there is a way to increase the maximum file size when rendering an uncompressed file from the Vegas timeline? I need the answer by tonight if possible! THANKS EVERYONE!

-Matt :)
Old December 27th, 2003, 02:16 PM   #1773
Inner Circle

What file format system are you using? Right click your HD in explorer and check properties. FAT has certain limits. There are 2 FAT formats which have 2GB and 4GB limits.

2- WHich windows are you running?

3- How big is your uncompressed file going to be?
Old December 27th, 2003, 06:28 PM   #1774
Regular Crew

Render to an NTFS formatted drive volume.
Old December 27th, 2003, 09:31 PM   #1775

Out of curiosity, WHY render to uncompressed? The main time this is necessary is when sending video to something like After Effects and then only small sections are usually necessary.

Depending on the purpose of the file, you *may* be able to use the frameserver software at http://www.debugmode.com
Old December 29th, 2003, 08:08 AM   #1776
Regular Crew

Second Monitor; The New World; Tubes-be-gone?

Assume for the moment that we are editing video destined for those with DLP projection TVs, LCD projection TVs, plasma displays, or front projection TVs (i.e. projectors in the real sense), some at regular NTSC-like resolutions but more often these TVs will be HDTV resolution.

Also assume we're not filming with an HD camera, but are using 16:9 upconverts from 4:3 (still not at HD resolutions though -- such as using an anamorphic adaptor on a 4:3 camera).

What should we use as a good second monitor during editing? No need to worry about legal signals; no need to worry about many NTSC standards? What about a 17in widescreen LCD computer monitor? What calibration tools would you want built into the display?
Old December 29th, 2003, 08:59 AM   #1777
Wrangler

What you describe is pretty much what I just did. I used a combination of computer animation and real video shot in 16:9 with a Sony PDX-10 (which has native 16:9 which would be comparable to the anamorphic adaptor you mention). We projected the results on a 40' wide screen using a 10,000 lumen Barco SLM-R10 DLP projector. I didn't do any upconverting to HD however, the projector does that internally (it has a native resolution of 1024x1280 I think).

For editing I used a 17" Sony SDM-V72W LCD monitor which is a 16:9 screen with a 1280x768 resolution. When I got it several months ago it was in the $700 to $800 range, but I think they're cheaper now. I really like this screen; it has inputs for VGA, s-video and component video. The s-video looks pretty good, but you get the best results driving it with component. I send DV from FCP over firewire to a Sony RDR-GX7 DVD recorder, and it transcodes to component video.

Now I have to say that the image on the 17" LCD screen was a very good approximation of what I really saw on the big screen with the DLP projector. In fact, we had a good Sony broadcast monitor up in the projection booth for previewing the video, and it really didn't look that much like the image on the projection screen (caveat: I made no attempt to calibrate that monitor). But I think you're on the right track about using an LCD screen for your application.

Just yesterday I was wandering through Best Buy (boy, that was a mistake so soon after Christmas ;-) and saw a Sharp 17" screen that seemed to have good specs, same resolution as the Sony but 600:1 contrast ratio (the Sony is 500:1). The Sharp also had a built-in TV tuner. No idea how good it looks though, but the price was $700.

Sony has just come out with a line of professional LCD screens that look very nice although $$$$. I'm sure this would be the way to go if you can spend a lot of money.

I'm not sure what you're talking about with "calibration tools built into the display"? Do you mean controls for brightness, contrast, color, sharpness, etc? They should all be available. I "calibrate" my display using NTSC color bars fed from my NLE, then used a primary blue color filter to adjust as per these instructions.

Now I note that you're actually posting this to the Vegas forum. I would think my comments are generally true as long as you're using firewire (IEEE 1394) to send output to either a camcorder or other converter which will feed s-video or component video to the screen. But I really don't know anything about Vegas or other PC software since I'm using a Mac. Seems to me that I've read other posts about colors appearing too dark on the PC screen in Vegas. If that's true then you probably wouldn't want to drive the external monitor with a PC graphics card (unless of course that's also how you're going to drive your projector).

Hope this gets you started in the right direction.
Old December 29th, 2003, 09:08 AM   #1778
Regular Crew

Boyd what terrific help. Thanks!
Old December 29th, 2003, 05:14 PM   #1779
Trustee

There are plenty of reasons to render uncompressed. It might be used in AE or 3DS Max, or something like that. It may be an odd resolution and you want a near-lossless compression but DV will only work at 720x480. I'm sure there are other possibilities.
Old December 29th, 2003, 08:15 PM   #1780
Wrangler

Vegas+DVD help!

Building my first menu-based DVD with DVD Architect. Ran into some snags when I went to "optimize and burn". It's comprised of two clips- the main feature (56 minutes long), and the extras reel (roughly 13 minutes long). Video encoded at 7mb/sec constant, all audio encoded AC-3.

It is trying to recompress the main feature. I know it's compliant because I used the DVDA template to encode it. When I create a new project and just drop the main feature in the menu it's fine and doesn't report having to recompress. However as soon as I go and add a sceen selection- menu, despite still having plenty of room on the DVD it reports having to recompress all the pages of the sceen select menus (assuming it's for the thumbnails) including the original mpg2 it'self.
I went and tried adding the "extras reel" and inserted a sceen selection menu for that (beings it has 3 chapters)- that, oddly enough, works fine. It doesn't ask me to recompress the original clip once the sceen selection pages are up. The only difference between the "extras" and the "main" clip are the extras was encoded using the default bit-rate settings. The "main" clip was encoded at 7mb/sec constant.

Why would adding a sceen selection menu cause the original mpg2 to have to be recompressed?!
Old December 29th, 2003, 08:37 PM   #1781
Wrangler

Another oddity

Another thing it messes up on...

I'm using a short 20second video clip as the background for the main menu, set to loop. Tested it and it loops fine. As soon as I add an audio file it stops looping. It hits the end of the clip and goes black as the audio play on.

Is there a way to have a 20 second clip loop as a 3 minute song plays out?
Old December 29th, 2003, 08:51 PM   #1782

#1: It's trying to recompress after you add the second piece because the second piece is making it too large to fit on the DVD. Try doing the initial encoding at 6 instead of 7.

#2: The background video and audio MUST be the same length. Otherwise, the video will go to black until the audio finishes. Then they will both start over.
Old December 29th, 2003, 08:55 PM   #1783

It just seems that in most cases, people who "say" uncompressed really mean "DV-AVI". Bottom line, with NTFS, the file size limit on an uncompressed file should be the size of the hard drive.
Old December 29th, 2003, 09:21 PM   #1784
Wrangler

Ed...regarding #1 thats what I thought. Though if I *only* place the "main" clip on the first menu and only add a sceen selection from that it still looks to re-encode the original clip. Even though I'm only using 89% of the DVD capacity!
Old December 29th, 2003, 09:47 PM   #1785
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

if you are out of HD space for those HUGE uncompressed clips you might try rendering out to a QT uncompressed using the animation codec ( at 100% it is 4:4:4:4- less then 100% it is 4:2:2)
20mgs vs 30mgs (uncompressed ) .. for even smaller LOSSLESS 4:4:4:4 clips try out the microcosm codec clip size approx 6-8mgs vs 30mgs uncompressed ...

for more on codec's

http://www.onerivermedia.com/

then click on CODEC resources -excellent info/test on codec's
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...