Vegas Video discussions from 2003 - Page 121 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old December 31st, 2003, 02:24 PM   #1801
Inner Circle

You could try syncing the MD sound to your original clip, and then replace the original clip with a synced version. Obviously, back everything up before you do this.

One problem you are going to have is that MD sync drifts over time. It is going to start going off after 15 minutes. One way to reasonably fix this is to sync the beginning and end, and timestretch the sound to fit. Then check sync throughout. Otherwise you are going to have to go in and sync at many points.

Syncing MD and video: it would be a lot easier if you had a clapboard, but sometimes this isn't practical. Look for visual cues where an audio spike is created, like a shoe hitting the stage. Try to lip sync can drive you nuts, although you can be late by 1 frame and no one will notice (sound travels at 300m/s). Actually if it's all dialogue you may not need to try too hard.
Old December 31st, 2003, 03:13 PM   #1802
Sponsor: JET DV

Actually, Glenn, that doesn't sound like a bad idea. Federico, take the ORIGINAL video and MD audio, place them BOTH on the timeline, mute the ORIGINAL audio and then render to a NEW DV-AVI file (process should be VERY quick.)

Once that is done, rename the ORIGINAL file, name the NEW file what the original WAS called, and then re-open your project! This should bring in the old video with the NEW sound!
Old December 31st, 2003, 03:47 PM   #1803
Major Player

that worked great!

Probably a silly question, but..

I ran S-spline and have the enlarged .PNG images now how do I make them back into a motion picture in Vegas?
Old December 31st, 2003, 05:34 PM   #1804
Regular Crew

The images should be numbered as image001, image002, etc. (They are this way if you use my ExportImagesforRange at SundanceMedia). Select Import media in Vegas and when you click on the first picture, there should be a checkbox that allows you to specify import as image sequence.
Old December 31st, 2003, 05:56 PM   #1805
Major Player

ok,

this is turning out to be a bit hard in Vegas.

I cant get Vegas to go up to HD 1920x1080, it always resorts to DV 720x480, anybody know if Vegas can do HD resolutions?

Ack!

Thanks for all the help so far!
Old December 31st, 2003, 09:04 PM   #1806

What if you go to File - Properties and then change the video format?

To import the sequence, just go to File - Open, pick the first image file, and then check the box that says "Open still image sequence".
Old December 31st, 2003, 10:28 PM   #1807
Major Player

All right, thank you guys... Itīs good to have hope at first time on the first day of the year...
And "theoritically" this replacing should work.

Iīll try replacing the original take with the MD sound... and let you know how it worked..

I really donīt need a clapboard since the begining and the end of the show uses the "Looney Tunes" song so I can easily synch that song by time... and there are many "soundmarks" in between the whole spoken words for me to visually synch the sound.

I donīt care if MD looses Synch with the original Video a few times every 15 minutes.. actually I donīt care to do it 10 or 20 times... but the edited video has almost 200 cuts.. so you know how long it will take to synch manually each slice...

Iīll post as soon as I know if this works.. thanx again for your help.
Old December 31st, 2003, 10:54 PM   #1808
Major Player

I figured it out!

I had to update to Vegas 4.0e

easy as that
Old January 1st, 2004, 11:26 AM   #1809
RED Code Chef

If you want to try it out, you can also download the demo version
here (look at the bottom of the page)

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old January 1st, 2004, 07:28 PM   #1810
Major Player

Ok.. it worked like a Charm...
No sync drifts, since the original clip, is actually 3 clips of about 10 minutes each... (there were intermission, bad jokes, etc. that I didnīt even capture). Now I have my almost CD quality voice..

So now I only need to put some ambience sound in it... and trick it a little to make it more "live".
Anyone knows were can I find "canned laughter"?
Should I post this last question in a new thread?
And if so, where? NOW HEAR THIS?
Old January 1st, 2004, 07:31 PM   #1811
Inner Circle

You could just re-use laughter and make it louder using volume envelopes (kinda time-consuming but transparent if you do it right). You could also take clips of laughter and dump it in. Not sure if that'll sound right.

By using audio you already have you don't have to match sounds.
Old January 1st, 2004, 07:40 PM   #1812
Inner Circle

Quote:
with a HT CPU, you can cut about 20% of the render time...
Actually, I did tests on this. For the render you describe, you should be getting about a 3% improvement with hyperthreading (no joke!!!). The second logical processor in a HT CPU only handles DV encoding and audio filters. On long renders it is idle most of the time.

On very short renders (i.e. 1 video filter) then hyperthreading helps a bit more.
Old January 1st, 2004, 07:48 PM   #1813
Major Player

Iīve been playing with my two tracks (MD and MIC), the Volume Envelopes, using pieces of laughs from the original and other shows, and a few other tricks..

But I donīt really like much the results Iīm getting so far... and since Iīm learning here... Iīd like to experiment a little and compare results...

Whatever I see that gets the best effort/time-quality relation in the results will become my standard since I allready have two other comediants waiting for their video, and hopefully a few more to come.
Old January 1st, 2004, 08:44 PM   #1814

Good to hear you managed to get the audio switched. Good luck with the final project.
Old January 1st, 2004, 09:29 PM   #1815
Trustee

I imagine you'd get same results with real dual processors, right?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...