Vegas Video discussions from 2003 - Page 34 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old July 1st, 2003, 03:34 PM   #496
Wrangler

Yeah I heard Spot mention that in the Class On Demand for Vegas DVDs. Why would anyone run two instances of Vegas simultaneously? Wouldn't that eat ram!
Old July 1st, 2003, 08:25 PM   #497
Sponsor: JET DV

Multiple reasons:

1. Copy things from one project to another
2. Render one project while working on another
3. Render multiple projects at once
etc...
Old July 1st, 2003, 08:48 PM   #498
Wrangler

Vegas VEG files?

This is going to sound like a really big newbie question but what are "VEG" files in Vegas. Are they project files?...What, exactly, do they contain?! I saw that there are downloadable VEG files for Vegas. How would one use one?!
Old July 1st, 2003, 09:23 PM   #499
Inner Circle

They are project files that contain all the info needed to make them work in a project or edit. Motion, color changes, crop/pan.track motion;whatever is needed.
You can also go to sundancemediagroup.com-register and download all kinds of veggies. I have about 30 or so just sitting in a folder waiting to go to work for me. Many of them are titling effects. Of course you put in your own titles maybe play around with the timing and motion etc but it's a lot faster than me sitting for hours trying to figure it out.
They're tools to be used!
Hope this helps,
Don
Old July 2nd, 2003, 08:50 AM   #500

VEG files are simply project files. However, techniques can be shared using VEG files. Use generated media to create the effect and anyone can see how those effects are done. After loading the VEG file, you can add your own media as TAKES over the generated media.
Old July 3rd, 2003, 09:51 AM   #501
Inner Circle

and if you have a cpu with hyperthreading, the main concept codec runs about 20% faster....

for some reason, Vegas runs better wth a HyperT CPU than with a dual CPU...

at the mo, one of my systems, is runnign a stock 2.4gh P4 and i can run 2 sets of V4 and it playes perfectly...

so u dont need 2 cpus to run 2 V4's at teh same time... u can open more... but dont crap out the ASIO drivers if ur using an ASIO comaptible soundcard... it doesnt like it...
You can only run one instance using the ASIO drivers, so make sure yoru second project is runninig standard Soundcard drivers or windows drivers...
Old July 3rd, 2003, 10:58 AM   #502

"so u dont need 2 cpus to run 2 V4's at teh same time"

Not what I said. You can run 2 (or more) instances on ANY computer. But, the response time WILL be better with 2 CPUs. (basically, the background instance will get more CPU time)
Old July 3rd, 2003, 12:01 PM   #503
Wrangler

Speaking of AISO drivers...I saw that setting in one of Vegas's preferences. I turned it on and I couldn't drop any clips onto the timeline- got an error message "Cannot play clip, incompatable audio type" or something along those lines. I'm running a sound blaster audigy, btw.

What is AISO and what does it do?
Old July 4th, 2003, 08:24 AM   #504
Major Player

Vegas- External monitor..

Hello,

i am trying to get an external monitor to work with Vegas 4.0.. I have a panasonic ag-dv2000 deck i am using.. i have clicked on the little external monitor symbol which is above the vegas video preview window.. My deck is set to DV and Passive on the edit mode.. i am able to capture, and i can see the footage when i capture on the external monitor, but i cannot see the video on the external monitor when playing from the timeline ??

Under video device, i have it set to OHCI IEEE 1394..

What am i missing here ??

thanks,

mike
Old July 4th, 2003, 10:03 AM   #505

Settings SOUND right. Mine are set the same and mine does work through the AG-DV2000. How about PTT. Does that work? When External Monitor is on, what shows on the computer preview screen?
Old July 4th, 2003, 10:21 AM   #506
Trustee

Vegas - Distortion when rotating the picture

I am using vegas to rotate a picture slightly where the camera was a little crooked.. The rotation is slight enough for the resulting emptiness to still be outside the action safe area (even moreso cause I'm doing a crop to 16x9).

Anyway, with all the settings at Best, I notice some odd distortion - about halfway through the picture vertically there's two small horizontal lines going across the whole picture that are slightly discolored from the rest of the picture. It's quite noticable.

Does anyone know what might be causing this or how to fix it? I could post a sample if necessary but I think that describes the problem pretty much. A little gaussian blur works, but of course that, well, blurs it. :) Is this just a standard thing with image rotation that I have to live with?
Old July 4th, 2003, 10:42 AM   #507
Major Player

Is this distortion on preview - or render. If on render, have you selected Reduce interlace flicker and Force resample? (Both are found under Properties, when you rightclick on the event.)
Old July 4th, 2003, 12:10 PM   #508
Major Player

Hello,

When the external monitor is selected.. It says external monitor in the little Vegas video window.. I just do not see any video pass through to the NTSC monitor (from timeline palyaback)

Mike
Old July 4th, 2003, 12:12 PM   #509
Trustee

It's in render and preview.

I did not select reduce interlace flicker because I actually don't want to deinterlace the footage - or do I misunderstand that function?

Also I have smart resample selected. What will force resample do?

Thanks a lot.
Old July 4th, 2003, 01:35 PM   #510
Major Player

Hello

a bit of an update, i tried the PTT function as Ed suggested, and i got weird results.. it appears to lay video to tape, but when i look at the video it is broken in big blocks and the sound is distorted.. i tried in both machine control and manual.. same result..

Not sure what the deal is here.. am i missing some other setting on the deck ??

mike
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...