Vegas Video discussions from 2003 - Page 35 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old July 4th, 2003, 01:36 PM   #511
Major Player

I cannot explain in technical terms what Reduce interlace flicker does, but it does NOT deinterlace. That is done by selections you choose in the render dialogue. In my experience Reduce interlace flicker just does what it's called.
Vegas 4 is supposed to resample automatically when an event has changed. I often select Force resample nonetheless, then I'm sure resampling will be done.
Give it a try.
Old July 4th, 2003, 03:14 PM   #512
Trustee

Will do. Thanks for the advice!
Old July 4th, 2003, 06:11 PM   #513
Major Player

Hello,

more of an updat on this situation.. I drug my camera to the editing room, and connected everything.. and all works, i see the external monitor video, i am able to print to tape.. So it is a setting or something may be wrong with my panasonic AG-DV2000.. Any ideas ?/

Mike
Old July 4th, 2003, 10:42 PM   #514
Sponsor: JET DV

See if this refers to the same problem (read the whole thread)

http://www.sonicfoundry.com/forums/S...ssageID=191887
Old July 5th, 2003, 09:26 AM   #515
Major Player

AG-DV2000 and Vegas

hello,

i am stumped on this problem..currently vegas is useless to me, as i am unable to Print To Tape or see any external video..

I have a Panasonic AG-DV2000 deck connected via firewire.. i have been unable to use it to view video on an external monitor, or to Print To Tape..
here is what i have been able to do..

machine control seems normal, even on Print To Tape, just no video..
i tried with my Sony DV Camera (Which I do not want to use as my deck) and all works as advertised.. external monitor and Print To Tape Work !!
i tried using the Sony Video camera as my video source to the Panasonic Deck, to see if it would Pass through.. and yes i can see video out..

i tried various settings on the Panny deck, none seem to make a difference.. The edit mode is set to passive and DV, with the input select set to DV..

Any other AG-DV2000 owners have any ideas.. as I am baffled at what to do next..

Mike
Old July 5th, 2003, 08:45 PM   #516
Trustee

Hm, hard to say if that's the same problem. It may be just an inherent problem with rotating footage. I noticed that Premier does a rotation and applies an excessive amount of blur to it when it does. Vegas may be applying much less blur, if any, leaving it to you to get it the way you want. At any rate, I'm not using the rotation as the slightly crooked camera is much less noticable than a horizontal line running through the picture! :)
Old July 5th, 2003, 10:28 PM   #517

Not sure without checking every single setting on mine. I know it DOES work with Vegas as I have two of them working with Vegas connected to three different computers.
Old July 6th, 2003, 02:52 PM   #518
Wrangler

Rendering in Vegas vs Procoder

I was thinking about doing my next project in Vegas- that way I am forced to learn the interface better, etc. My only concern is it's rendering speed for mpg 1 and 2. I currently have worked with Procoder right from the Premiere timeline and am very happy with the speed and quality. I usually renders at roughly 14fps which only takes roughly 2 hours for an hour project.

1.I haven't even tried to render anything in Vegas yet- I heard you have to "register" Vegas's MainConcept encoder before using it- does that mean simply register or is there a fee that is applied?

2. How is the speed of Vegas's rendering? Anyone use both Procoder and Vegas's MPG1 and 2 encoding?

3. If there is a dramatic advantage in speed using Procoder- how is outputting to DV AVI from Vegas then using procoder to convert that to MPG2- Will there be any quality loss?!
Old July 6th, 2003, 03:07 PM   #519
Regular Crew

1. There is no fee involved.

2. I have nothing to compare with.

3. You can get a frameserver for Vegas at http://www.debugmode.com/pluginpac/frameserver.php so you do not have to create any intermediate avi files if you want to use another encoder than the MainConcept encoder. By using the frameserver you will be encoding directly from the timeline so there should be no "additional" quality loss.

Hans
Old July 6th, 2003, 04:17 PM   #520
Wrangler

A friend of mine played Guinnie Pig and tried out Frame Server and when he got the file into Premiere (from Vegas) he had to render the file in Premiere anway. Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose?!
Old July 6th, 2003, 04:19 PM   #521
Wrangler

Does Vegas have anything like Premiere's "Clip" filter?

Premiere has a filter you can add an opague colored border to your video on eitehr the horzontal or vertical edges that obscures the video. Does Vegas have anything that does this?
Old July 6th, 2003, 07:46 PM   #522
Wrangler

Like black bars to simulate 16x9...but without using the pan/crop tool. I need to be able to obscure video on the sides as well if need be.
Old July 6th, 2003, 09:13 PM   #523

Use Photoshop (or any paint program or even generated media) to create a mask using any types of borders you want. Any picture can be used as a mask. Use it to either put edges on top or bottom.
Old July 7th, 2003, 05:32 AM   #524
Wrangler

Nevermind I found out how to do it:
-add new track
-right click, choose add generated media, solid color
-then use the track motion tool with the maintain aspect un-checked to resize it and move to whatever corner of the screen.

Not bad beings I'm a 3-week Vegas newb! ;)

PS When you use the pan-crop tool to crop to 16x9- will that just add black bars (letterboxing) on the screen? Or does that actually change it's aspect to 16x9?
Old July 7th, 2003, 06:29 AM   #525
Regular Crew

I can't understand why he would send a file from Vegas to Premiere. I have sent files from the Vegas timeline to stand-alone encoders (trial versions but I can't imagine this makes any difference) without any problems. As far as I understand the purpose of the frameserver is to be able to send the files directly from the timeline to stand-alone encoders (no need to render to intermediate files).
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...