Vegas Video discussions from 2003 - Page 39 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old July 17th, 2003, 08:04 PM   #571
Wrangler

Spot is on DMN forums? Where is DMN?
Old July 17th, 2003, 08:16 PM   #572
Wrangler

DMN Forums - see the Sonic Foundry Vegas forum

I agree I like this forum software so much better. Though the DMN forums do have some very good groups and information.
Old July 18th, 2003, 02:09 AM   #573
Major Player

Your first step should be to read (and possibly re-read) the Sonic Foundry 24p paper
Old July 18th, 2003, 02:28 AM   #574
Regular Crew

Thanks, that helped quite a bit, but still didn't tell me how to convert Pal to 24p.
Does Magic Bullet do this?

Thanks
Old July 18th, 2003, 08:45 AM   #575
Trustee

Conversion from 25 to 24p is nothing more than changing the frame rate and slowing down the sound 4%. You can definitely do this in premier / after effects "Interpret Footage" option but I don't know if Vegas has something like that.
Old July 18th, 2003, 09:40 AM   #576
Sponsor: JET DV

Vegas should handle it fine.
Old July 18th, 2003, 11:48 AM   #577
Trustee

Where is the option in Vegas to reinterpret the frame rate?
Old July 18th, 2003, 12:11 PM   #578
Sponsor: JET DV

File - Render As - Pick your format.
Old July 18th, 2003, 05:27 PM   #579
Wrangler

Editing PAL to NTSC on Vegas

I have a friend that lives overseas he wants me to edit his raw footage for him for distribution. He's going to send the footage over as DV AVI (PAL) on several DVD discs.
I'm looking to move the footage on to my hd edit in Vegas and output the project as MPG2.

To my knowledge PAL DVD players can play PAL and NTSC, but NTSC DVD players only play NTSC. Is this true?

If so is there a way to import the PAL footage into Vegas, edit it, then output it as NTSC MPG2?
Old July 20th, 2003, 02:57 AM   #580
Inner Circle

What would be a good tool for a "see thru" border?

borders and cutters work well, however i havent had any success blurring out the edges to create a borderless pic in pic effect...
i can blur it black or any other colour, but to completely REMOVE the edges is what im after (bit like the canopus pic in pic defaults)

any ideas?
Old July 20th, 2003, 03:37 AM   #581
Major Player

Peter,
Do you want to overlay the video with effect to another video? because if not you might just want to use photoshop.

you might be able to use an image mask from photoshop in vegas. It should work.

Rob:D
Old July 20th, 2003, 05:38 AM   #582
Inner Circle

basically, im using the 3d fly away transition for slideshows, but im tryin to soften the edge as it flis away, basically turning into a dot as it flips....

Im also trying to cut out some edges as i run pic in pic routines within the slideshow.
Im using lots of track motions etc heavily filtered and effected...
Im really over the square look and lines.. and jsut want to fade out the edges of some faces

basically im using the same image on 2 tracks, the panoramic image, then a zoomed close up of the faces within the pic in pic thingy.. both tracks are constantly moving and changing image and it works real well, but the edges on the photos dont give it that finished polished look...
Old July 20th, 2003, 07:10 PM   #583
New Boot

NLE using Vegas + DVD authoring

Hi folks,

Will be ordering my GL2 next week, and I am also new NLE, having been a Canon 35mm and digital SLR shooter for about 20 years.

My intention with the camera will be completely amateur, personal use. I have a couple of questions for the experienced folks here will to help a neophyte out.

I have been reading all the posts here I can find regarding NLE and getting "real time" rendering by using very high end video boards(Matrox, Canopus TRex, etc), and oodles of HD space.

I have a Dell 1.8 Ghz with 512 MB Ram and a Geforce 128mb TI4600 video card. I have about 60GB of ATA disk, and a 1394 fire wire board.

From everything I have read, it appears that Vegas is the premier(no pun intended) editing tool for both video and audio. I plan on getting the version with DVD authoring for when I eventually get a DVD burner.

My question: Am I in for a shock as to how long my rendering times are going to be? I understand Vegas works really well on "standard" off the shelf PC configs, so I think I am ok in the editing area. Just wondering if I am in for long waits and surprises in the post-editing area with my existing hardware platform.

thanks so much for an assistance.

Jeff
Old July 20th, 2003, 08:35 PM   #584
Wrangler

Other than the obvious including cpu speed, etc- editing times vary greatly depending on how large a render your doing and how complex it is effects, transitions, etc.

A 1.8 isn't the blazing fastest cpu around but it's no slouch either. I'm running an Athlon 2200+ which actually runs at a clock speed of 1.8ghz. To render a 1 hour project into MPG2 format it takes roughly 2 hours.

The cards you mentioned definitly have the advantage to show your changes in footage (ie transitions, effects) immediatly, however I still think they have to render, albiet possibly with hard-ware support which can make it much faster. Although all those cards support Premiere- in my humble opinion it's not worth working with Premiere even with the added benefit of hardware support. I stick to my slower encoding times and Vegas+DVD workflow. Besides long renders give me a chance to take a break- get and go get something to eat or stretch. Everyone knows the lock-knee feeling standing up after several hours in front of the computer editing. lol

Hopefully Sony will produce some sorta mack-daddy hw card to work with Vegas. One can only dream!
Old July 20th, 2003, 09:39 PM   #585
Inner Circle

I use a P4 3.06HT and for a typical 1 hour wedding video with the effects, PIP,color correction,borders, transitions, audio enhancement, music etc,etcetc, it takes about 2 hours to render to PTT. I go do something else then, eat, say Hi to my wife, kiss my dog, or work on another machine and keep editing (which is what I do lots of now-my mid year crunch).
I really don't like the wait but I love what Vegas can do.
Don B.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...