Vegas Video discussions from 2003 - Page 42 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old July 22nd, 2003, 09:52 PM   #616
Sponsor: JET DV

In this case, it is being used to indicate where to move the first clip when removing gaps.

However, the Command Marker is used to add commands that get processed when playing a WMV in Media Player.
Old July 23rd, 2003, 02:32 AM   #617
Major Player

Hi all.

Thank you again for your help.

"Arnaldo, why would you import your work into Premiere for MPEG2 encoding?" --> Glen is right. One of the goodies you get with the Matrox RT-X100 is real time MPEG-2 encoding (one hour video - one hour encoding), and that I'll definitely want to keep.

Take care
Arnaldo
Old July 23rd, 2003, 10:05 AM   #618
Wrangler

Real-time encoding is nice, especially if your working on many projects and/or in a pinch for time. However 2:1 aint bad. For a 1 hour project Vegas takes about 2 hours, at least judging by my peliminary measurements. As I have yet to actually encode a full hour to MP2.

I do like being able to keep the workflow within Vegas. Less possible problems to worry about than when you frame-serve a timeline to another program.

Though, like I mentioned in another post, if Vegas ever decided to go the way of HW support I'd be all over it! For now it just seems limited to Premiere.
Old July 23rd, 2003, 10:08 AM   #619
Wrangler

Man you learn something new everyday don't ya (referring to me!).

So how did you realize you could write a script to use this maker to designate the start of clips that are fragmented? I'm still puzzled and your knowledge of all this scripting stuff. How did you originally learn this?
Old July 23rd, 2003, 10:26 AM   #620

<<<-- Originally posted by Glen Elliott : Man you learn something new everyday don't ya (referring to me!).

So how did you realize you could write a script to use this maker to designate the start of clips that are fragmented? I'm still puzzled and your knowledge of all this scripting stuff. How did you originally learn this? -->>>

In this case, it stemmed from the Sync Wizard. In the Sync Wizard, you can also specify a starting point by using a Command Marker. We used the Command Marker because the regular Marker was already being used to indicate the sync point. Therefore, I just carried over the concept to the Gap Wizard.

As far as scripting is concerned, there are several different types of markers/regions and the script can reference any of them. So, it's just a matter of telling the script to look for Command Markers instead of regular Markers.

As for learning how to script, I'm a computer programmer as my day job. It's been a little challenging trying to wade through SoFo's scripting API but, so far, I've managed to do quite a bit with the aid of samples created by others, questions answered by SoFo or the SoFo Scripting forum, and reading the API and JScript information pages. There ARE still some things that cannot be done via scripting. I believe scripting will become more powerful with each new release.
Old July 23rd, 2003, 10:30 AM   #621

Encode times are strictly machine dependent. I just rendered a 1 hour 12 minute program. It took over 6 hours to render to MPEG2 (of course, I started it and went to bed so it had plenty of time anyway). This is about 5:1 on a PIII 750MHz machine.
Old July 24th, 2003, 08:27 AM   #622
Wrangler

I'm running an Athlon 2200+, I don't know if you like AMD but a 2200+ can be purchased for under $90 now! It's sick how fast prices come down- I bought it when it first hit the market and paid close to $300- oh well, what are you going to do..ya know. No matter what you buy it's always outdated and cheaper within 3 months in the PC world.

I'm suprised your not running some monster machine Ed. It's pretty conservative considering how serious you are- but hey it's a testamament to Vegas's compatability with older hard-ware. If it performes well enough for you I'm sure it's good enough for anyone else here. My problem is I'm into gaming as well (not that I've had the time to play any the last 4 months!) I find I'm always having to upgrade to keep up with the newest games and 3d engines. Im through with shelling out unecissary cash for mods on my car and idiotic stuff like that. Next time I come across some money I'm going to put it into something I know I use every single day- my PC.
Old July 24th, 2003, 08:53 AM   #623
Wrangler

Wow thats one area I feel I'll never get my feet wet in- talk about intimidating. Programing, I have felt, has always been out of my league. I'm just glad we have a programer who's a Vegas fan as well. Benefits all of us.
Better yet, SoFo should take heed and hire you as a programer for future builds of 4 and/or Vegas 5!
Obviously you thought of plenty of things that passed through the gaps with the SoFo programers/engineers of Vegas.
Old July 25th, 2003, 04:51 AM   #624
RED Code Chef

Rendering and MPEG2 encoding (especially the later one) take
up much time. If you calculate that in you won't encounter a
problem. If rendering takes long I let it do that overnight and
watch it the next day. Then I can do MPEG2 rendering overnight
again or on another machine.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old July 25th, 2003, 06:41 AM   #625
RED Code Chef

1. just stick PAL & NTSC footage in your Vegas timeline and render
out to either format. Vegas will do the conversion for you

2. YES, DVD players will output PAL & NTSC. Heck, even NTSC
players will probably do it. The problem is with DISPLAYING that
signal, which is up to a TV set!! A lot of TV's here in Europe can
display NTSC, but not all!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old July 25th, 2003, 08:17 PM   #626
Major Player

I'm jealous!

I am using my old Compaq presario, Athlon 900mz, 512 mb ram, 1 80gb Western Digital with OS, 1 120gb Western Digital for editing, Nvidia Geforce Ti 4200 64mb, Vegas 4 + DVD.

A Wedding, 1 to 2 hrs after editing. . . last one cooked for 22 hours. Think it's time to upgrade?
Old July 25th, 2003, 08:21 PM   #627
Major Player

Using dual monitors in Vegas

Those of you who are using dual monitors, I would appreciate a rundown on how you have it set up with Vegas.
Old July 26th, 2003, 12:43 AM   #628
Inner Circle

ok it really depends on the TYPE of montirs your referring to...

firstly, most good GFX cards have a dual head output... this is basically all you need (and maybe an adapter)
the monitors im referring to here are your standard CRT/LCD PC monitors, not actual fied monitors...
Usually, the GFX cards SW allows configs re: resolution, refresh, master screen etc etc ec...

okies, now theres the other one, which is a lil tricky... well not really but you have you either have a monitor which has a 1394 connection (which i doubt... i dont htink they exist but i might be wrong...) or you could keep your cam conected then route the AV in/out of the cam into your monitor or TV's av input... you will only get sound out of your PC speakers thou..... thought id throw that in...

thats all there is to it
Old July 26th, 2003, 05:35 AM   #629
Inner Circle

Harry,
I run dual's with Vegas. Everything is on 1 (media pool, time line, etc.) and the PREVIEW screen is on the other. BIG, so I can see it without my glasses.
I also have an old SOny monitor that I can run to thru my deck . Of course I lose the Vegas preview but thats OK.
Don
Old July 26th, 2003, 08:04 AM   #630

You can move any of the winows to the second screen. So, if you wanted the explorer, media bin, transitions, and effects always visible, you could move them to the second window. Just think of your workflow and what you want to see. Move those to the second window.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...