DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Video discussions from 2003 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/6105-vegas-video-discussions-2003-a.html)

Rob Lohman August 15th, 2003 09:27 AM

I've not encountered this.... What kind of WAV files are you using?
Are you mixing different formats etc.?

Peter Moore August 15th, 2003 09:51 AM

They're stereo wave files mainly, though some mono, and I may be mixing different sampling rates, but they're all 16-bit. Still, none of that should be an issue.

Hugh DiMauro August 15th, 2003 12:42 PM

I shot with the giudes on my XL1s and then set my Vegas template to 16 X 9 cropped but the image never cropped! What am I doing wrong?

Gerald Lee August 15th, 2003 03:48 PM

Speeding up footage past 300%

Is there a way to do this? Also is there a way to do reverse motion faster than -100%?

I know you could technically render the footage at 300% and speed up the rendered footage, but that's a pain.

I finally got used to Vegas, and man is it miles ahead of Premiere in performance and stability.

Edward Troxel August 15th, 2003 03:55 PM

Yes there is. First of all, as you mentioned, you could render the -100% and re-add the newly rendered section to the timeline and speed it up. Alternately, after applying the reverse velocity at -100%, hold down the CTRL key and resize the clip smaller. By holding the CTRL key you change the speed of the clip. By doing this, you can get up to -400% total.

Gerald Lee August 15th, 2003 04:55 PM

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed.

Peter Jefferson August 15th, 2003 10:33 PM

peter, it could be from the audio driver, as i used to have similar popping issues untili installed a driver update for my soundcard.

also what version of directx are you running?

and before you install anythign check that your latency settings on your soundcard (if ur using ASIO) arent set too low.. usually 15 to 20ms is ok for video

Peter Moore August 16th, 2003 06:42 PM

Would the audio driver affect the rendering? This is not simply a playback issue - the rendered wave file actually contains the pops.

Bob Benkosky August 16th, 2003 11:11 PM

DV output in progressive mode question.

I'm not 100% positive but I usually just left the field order alone, but on a whim, I changed it to progressive mode and I think I have found a much better overall picture. Could this be accurate?

Peter Jefferson August 17th, 2003 02:20 AM

ahh well now thats a totally different story.. it wont affect the final render unless the source file contains these pops...

have you gone into the wave in soundforge at all??

What soundcard are you using?

I would suggest you go into the wave on the timeline and insert a really short fade in....

it could be vegas sw driver hardware compatibility plugin issue as it converts the format for playback and render.

does it only happen with this one particular project? If it uses various bitrate audio files, Vegas is doing ALOT of work as it converts them realtime to conform to your project settings

Boyd Ostroff August 17th, 2003 05:33 AM

Bob, take a look at this thread. There are some links in my post which help explain progressive mode and interlacing.

Randall Campbell August 17th, 2003 08:02 AM

Hugh,

You need to select pan/crop for the clips that you have on the timeline, then right click in the pan/crop window (over the video thumbnail or workspace) and select Match Output Aspect. This will crop the clip to match the 16:9 output aspect ratio. You can move the crop window up and down as needed to get the best framing.

If you are outputting to a 16:9 external monitor, everything should look fine. If you are outputting to a 4:3 external monitor, the video will be distorted. You can display a letter box on the 4:3 external monitor by simply changing the project video properties to NTSC DV (ie. not widescreen). This will show black bars on the top/bottom of the video just like on a 4:3 TV.

Randall

Peter Moore August 17th, 2003 08:33 AM

I have gone into the Wave in soundforge and the pop is there, only in one of the 6-channels (that's how I know it's a bug).

I am using an Audigy 2 Platinum. Again, this is rendering and the sound card should have no effect.

A really short fade is already there by default. I can try doing it manually. It's also random, so I'd have to do it for every single clip. Like yesterday I re-rendered the section and no problem. Earlier it was a different clip.

As far as I can tell it's only this project (which is a 20-minute clip with about a dozen audio tracks and probably 100 clips), but if I ever replicate it on a smaller one maybe I can isolate the problem.

But bottom line is the source file does NOT contain the pops and the render SOMETIMES does (not always). So it's unmistakably a bug.

Peter Jefferson August 17th, 2003 12:28 PM

Im sorry i couldnt help anymore, but it seems that its the source which is causeing this.. now what im ean by that is that the source files are affected for some reason... if you CANT see the pop in soundforge, obviously its not in the "actual" source file, but if you look deeper it may something else...

have you tried defraggin your HDD? could be that the source is sittin on a damaged sector.... as i havent come across the issue as i am using the same card you have...

maybe defragging will help, maybe not, but at this time, its all i can think of...

Glenn Chan August 17th, 2003 03:10 PM

Only benchmarks for Vegas Video between an AMD and a Pentium processor will matter. Benchmarks vary between programs since some are optimized for one processor or just happen to be faster on a certain processor. If you are doing encoding (mpeg2, divx, mp3), then the Pentiums have a huge lead over AMD processors. I don't know about rendering. I suspect VV would render much faster at best quality (32-bit floating point?) since the pentium processors are faster at FP calculations. However, rendering at best quality is a waste of time. A Vegas Video benchmark is what you really need though.

If you want the fastest processor possible, then it is clearly going to be an overclocked pentium (2.4mhz or 2.6mhz at 800FSB stock). The added cost of overclocking (better cooling, quality power supply, quality RAM, quality case, quality motherboard, thermal grease) will be about equal or less than the cost of getting a 3.2mhz pentium over the 2.4mhz while offering much better performance. The 2.4 and 2.6 processors can be pushed to around 3.5mhz (and the increase in FSB speed also makes things faster). Instructions are on various websites.

AMD processors can be easier to overclock. It depends on which CPU you have and which motherboard you have. You will want to make sure your computer is well cooled. Ars Technica, ocaddiction.com, overclockers.com would be places to get some advice and tutorials on this. This is probably a better idea than getting a pentium processor, since that would require a new motherboard and maybe new RAM.

A RAM upgrade could also be a better idea if you are running 256MB of RAM.