Vegas Video discussions from 2003 - Page 59 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old August 27th, 2003, 06:19 AM   #871
Wrangler

I don't think it was the drivers for my audigy card that did it- as I switched it to "Direct sound mapper" whatever setting that does. But it was the only one that seemed to cure the audio stutter I was encountering during cuts. The odd thing is the video would go black, like I explained...I don't know how an audio setting could do that but apparently it did! I'll be sure to update as soon as I'm done this current project- is that a little too cautious?
Old August 27th, 2003, 06:22 AM   #872
Wrangler

Peter, the gap (from what I've found is with the audio- not video) and no...it isn't audible.

Edward, reproduction of this oddity is quite easy. Simply drag two clips (that have audio) butt up against each other. Move your curser to the center between the two clips and zooooom alllll the way in as far as you can (even beyond 1:1), then you'll see the audio is shorter than the video but by less than one frame (because zoomed in that close one frame takes up the entire timeline!).
Old August 27th, 2003, 07:14 AM   #873
Sponsor: JET DV

I used DVDit PE for over a year before DVD Architect came out. Now, I use DVD Architect. Here are some differences:

DVD Architect allows you to have Action Menus and Action Buttons. Also, the menu creation if you want snapshots of your images is easier. Likewise with chapter creation. Plus you don't have to work around the user interface quirks and instability of the program.

However, DVDit PE will allow end actions and much better navigational control. Just no action menus or buttons.

DVD Architect has better previews.
Old August 27th, 2003, 07:19 AM   #874
Regular Crew

The softening has been a success. I used Glen's method, and the footage looks much less harsh than the original footage.

Any more advice on the subject is welcome.

Thanks,
Brad
Old August 27th, 2003, 07:21 AM   #875
Sponsor: JET DV

I don't have any directly captured clips available to test with on this machine. All of the "rendered" clips on the machine do not show this. I'll have to wait to test with some clips from VidCap. I've just not seen this. Of course, I almost always create dissolves anyway.
Old August 27th, 2003, 07:58 AM   #876
Inner Circle

glen, i was referring to the video and audio syncronisation to each other
Old August 27th, 2003, 08:35 AM   #877
Inner Circle

never underestimate the power of effects chains....

alam dv looks incredible.. taking a squiz now, but for the moment, theres nothing like this available for Vegas...
Old August 27th, 2003, 09:07 AM   #878
Inner Circle

Glenn there are alot of factors revolving around audio driver stability.
Depending on your OS and soundcard config and the way it has been configured through the project settings, it's most likely that your crash issue was caused by the audio drivers, or your OS handling of them.

the video would most likely go black due to memory restrictions and GFX card buffer underruns, too many buffer drop outs and you will get a crash.

as for updating, i was getting the same issues during an important wedding i was editing, not only would it crash when rewinding with the "shuttle" tool, (this is a full 5.1 project using 2x3 stereo busses <12 channels of audio direct from DV mp3 and wav> but it would crash when i clicked undo.
I did the update and the baby flies like Sally Field.. :)

it didn't affect my project

One thing to note is the SBlive Audigy cards DO have issues with certain Motherboards and driver configs whle running multiple codecs..
Its been an issue since the first emu10k SPU came out.
My old SBLive on my other machine (when they first came out) still runs fine for audio i can't fault it, but when i try to get vegas to play a jpg on the timeline, the audio cacks itself as its looking for the right audio codec when there is none. Bang, its dead and vegas follows...

the reason vegas is so good as a SW only kit, is due to the way it handles multiple processes and codecs at once (so long as the processes and codecs do not have driver conflicts, hardware conflicts or have corrupted registries...)

your issue could be from a basic need to defrag, or it could a HW issue like an IRQ sharing issue, which Creative gear DON'T like...
Could be lots of things....
Old August 27th, 2003, 09:12 AM   #879
Regular Crew

Interesting.

I had to get rid of my SB Audigy card because it would crash another video editing program I use (Visual Communicator Pro). It would crash and lock up often but only if using windows 2000.

SB Live works just fine for me now.
Old August 27th, 2003, 02:30 PM   #880
Major Player

Thanks ED. Looks like Vegas 4 for me !!
Old August 27th, 2003, 07:28 PM   #881
Regular Crew

Communication errors when capturing video in Vegas using DVX100

This is really starting to frustrate me.

Capturing video in Vegas 4.0d is beginning to wear me down. Maybe I changed a setting or something because for some reason I constantly am getting communication errors and lose contact with the video camera. It's constant. However I can use another video capture program I own (Visual communicator pro) and never have a problem.

I'm using a Panasonic DVX100 with firewire. If anyone has a clue what I may be doing wrong please let me know. I never had this problem before so I'm thinking I may have messed up a setting somewhere.

Under the preferences, video device, there are two selections available. One is OHCI compliant IEEE 1394 and the other is video for windows standard. Using the video for windows standard with Main Concept DV Codec didn't work. Same results with the IEEE 1394.

I'm at the end of my rope and don't know what else to try. I'll see if I have another cable somewhere and try that.

Thanks,
Old August 27th, 2003, 09:18 PM   #882
Wrangler

Sony Vegas 90 Day Winner

Sony Vegas 90 Day Winner (Quicktime)
Old August 27th, 2003, 11:41 PM   #883
Slash Rules!

Yeah. . .I thought about doing something for that competition, but my laziness took over. I couldn't have competed against that anyway. Very nice!
Old August 28th, 2003, 04:14 AM   #884
Inner Circle

and the irony of it is the Adobe ad right underneath the main feature article.. LOL
Old August 28th, 2003, 07:33 AM   #885
Major Player

I love that vid!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...