Vegas Video discussions from 2003 - Page 63 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old September 4th, 2003, 08:46 AM   #931
Trustee

Yes.

so wait, the new Canon-JVC HD format calls for 25p???? this is not Europe! Where is 24p?
Old September 4th, 2003, 11:07 AM   #932
Major Player

How can one edit HD if they can't capture it??
Old September 4th, 2003, 11:24 AM   #933
Wrangler

Video shearing in preview window of NLE on my LCD

I'm noticing what best can be described as video shearing in my preview window in Vegas during pans. Can LCD displays cause this? I know they can cause ghosting/blurring from slower pixel response times but is image artifacting/shearing a possiblility as well. Oddly enough I don't notice any ghosting during fast applications like games, etc probably due to the fact my display boasts a 16ms pixel response and is actually marketed towards gamers. Yet I still see this odd shearing during footage of slow continuous movement (ie durning slow to medium paced pans). Does anyone have any insight into this?
Old September 4th, 2003, 11:28 AM   #934
Wrangler

....by use of a 3rd party capture application like Sceenalizer. I think Sceenalizer can capture HD, someone who has experience with this product might know for sure.
Old September 4th, 2003, 12:58 PM   #935
Sponsor: JET DV

Capturing and printing HD will require a separate application and the necessary hardware to sustain that datarate. Once captured, Vegas can edit it. However, you will have to use the third party hardware/software combination to get it back out of the computer.

Scenalyzer will not do HD (as far as I know).
Old September 4th, 2003, 06:01 PM   #936
Major Player

I did get a reply from sonic, they basically stated the same thing,

"Thanks for writing. You will have to capture with a different program and then do your editing in Vegas 4.0. Vegas 4.0 can only capture from firewire and firewire doesn't capture HD."

So what kind of output would a new HD camera have that could sustain the data rate? (I am not sure what next generation of firewire plans for data rate). What kind of computer hardware would accept it? Eide, raid? usb 2.0 isn't that much better than the present firewire.
Old September 4th, 2003, 07:24 PM   #937
Tourist

Using Nero to Burn DVD Architect files (or getting DVDA to work)

I had no problem picking up Vegas after a day and created my first simple project with no problem. Built my simple menus in DVD Architect (version 1.c) and attempted to burn them to DVD on my Pioneer drive (with has the latest firmware). I can't seem to reliably burn DVD-R discs, although I can create DVD-RW discs.

While I would prefer to use DVDA to burn my DVD's, I purchased Nero hoping it would do the job. I get the "reallocation" errors described in the Sonic Foundry forum. I ignored the warning and successfully burned a DVD but it will only play in the PC, not my home players. I also tried to burn a DVD-ROM(UDF) and DVD-ROM(UDF/ISO) and got DVD's that read in my PC but won't play in home players (Nero warns you they won't work).

Am I using the wrong Nero options? What do I need to do to create compliant files from DVDA for Nero? Is there some secret to getting DVDA to work (I have a call into support and have posted this elsewhere).

I am considering going back to PrimoDVD (that came with the drive), but I have to admit I couldn't figure out exactly what options to use in that product (I am concerned I don't have the version necessary and would need to use the MyDVD that came bundled with the Pioneer).

Suggestions would be appreciated.
Old September 4th, 2003, 07:59 PM   #938
Inner Circle

If you can make DVD-RW but not DVD-R, try different media.

For my Pioneer A04, I like TDK DVD-R 2x and Ritek DVD-R 4x (although I can only burn at 2x). For DVD-RW, I like Maxell 1x and
Ritek .
Old September 4th, 2003, 08:39 PM   #939
Tourist

I am using the TDK DVD-R 2x media, because my research indicated it was a good product compatible on many players. I don't think it is a media problem, rather a problem with the DVD-Architect software.

In terms of using output from DVD-Architect to Nero, I don't know why Nero doesn't like DVD-Architect files.

Thanks for the reply.
Old September 4th, 2003, 10:35 PM   #940

Are you using the latest version of Nero? Earlier versions had limited compatibility and still earlier versions had NO compatibility.
Old September 5th, 2003, 04:49 AM   #941
Inner Circle

I'm considering using Pinnacle Impression. It also supports ac3 files and seems to be worthy of serious consideration.

On top of that it doesnt have issues with media or burning.

certain things to note with Architect is

1) It doesn't like apps which access drives while its doing its thing. This is hard when using multiple drives for media.

2) Multitasking while architect does its thing is non existent.. may as well leave it and go to bed and hope for the best

3) "Supported" drives dont make a difference to media used, as i use an A05/105 with the latest firmware and have tried 6 different disc types from different manufactures.
At the moment the ONLY workaround to all this is to burn a master to RW, test in on a RW compatible player like a PS2 (NOT PC) then use that master to burn clones using Nero or Prassi.

The reason Nero doesnt like Architect files is that Architect and nero run 2 different disc file systems.

Im now looking at my Impression CD, thinking whether or not to install it... i probably will and write off Architect as a cheap cash in on the DVD medium.

It's sad as i like being able to import markers and use them as chapter points. it saves alot of time. I also like being able to convert files in the Authoring app if i need to.. but in the end, if it ain't gonna burn my disc, i'm not gonna bother with it.
At the moment, i use it coz i have to <have some projects half done> and i use RW as a master, and even THAT is a gamble.

I use my machine for lots of other things and if i can't prepare a DVD and design a cover layout at the same time, theres no point.
PC's these days are designed to multitask. Architect is going backwards in this regard.

This weekend i'm checking out what Impression can do and if it's HALF as stable as Architect, i'll be switching.
Old September 5th, 2003, 08:50 AM   #942
Regular Crew

Any capture hardware compatible with Vegas ?

IS there any hardware boards out there that will allow real video preview straight from Vegas (widouth having to use a deck or camera thru ieee) and video output to record to analog decks

cheers
Old September 5th, 2003, 10:00 AM   #943
New Boot

Firewire vs USB 2.0

Firewire has 2 specs currently.

The 400 Mbps Firewire a and the 800 Mbps Firewire b.
USB 2.0 is 480 Mbps.
Old September 5th, 2003, 02:16 PM   #944

The PROBLEM with trying to bypass the firewire link is that your colors could be off. Graphics cards will not necessarily show the same colors as the firewire connection.

However, you can currently just resize the preview window on a second monitor connection.

Also, check out the Canopus card (I forget the full designation). It is on special by Videoguys for readers of my newsletter. It is listed in issue #10 at http://www.videoguys.com/Vegas_Tips/TTS01-10.pdf
Old September 5th, 2003, 04:50 PM   #945
Major Player

If the graphics card has firewire, is that ok?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...