Vegas Video discussions from 2003 - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old March 3rd, 2003, 12:56 PM   #91
Major Player

ATI all in wonder

Dylan,
On my 8500 DV I never use the firewire port on the "dongle" to capture footage from tape for this exact reason.

I use a seperate firewire card, and you won't have the "ATI" issue.

I've also found it easier to use the "split" in VV instead of using the trimmerfor editing.

Hope that helps or sheds some light on your issue.
Old March 3rd, 2003, 02:49 PM   #92

Ati has its own proprietary compression codecs that it uses with the TV instant playback/capture features. You should be able to overide these by selecting "NTSC DV" format in both the "file properties" page and the "render to" option menu.
Old March 7th, 2003, 10:46 AM   #93
Major Player

Vegas video 3 - cleaning out old projects

Hope this helps someone. In an attempt to regain some of the 10 gigs of space I used off my 19 gig HD, I saved several projects to tape that I had finished and tried to delete them from VV3. I am sure there is an easier method than I use but I have not searched much for it. I went to "C/ Vegas Video" and deleted the files there. Not much cleaning done and hard drive still 1/2 used, After a few days I looked further and cleaned out "My Documents" with very limited success. I finally found an area where even the music from my very first project was still stored. After deleting the unwanted files from "C:\Program Files\Sonic Foundry\Vegas 3.0" I gained back 6+ Gigs. I havn't found (or looked very hard) a way to delete files when you are in VV3. Maybe if someone knows an easier way to delete vegas projects from within VV3 they will reply.
Thanks
Donny
Old March 7th, 2003, 11:03 AM   #94
Wrangler

I just delete them off my HD like you, but perhaps I have a better system of saving my files in different directories for different projects. So if I want one project and everything associated with it gone, I just delete that directory. I don't put anything video related in My Documents, or under Vegas Video.

And Don.... Go buy a second HD... Get a 60GB for less than $100. You will be happy, and not have a space problem for at least... a week. ;)
Old March 7th, 2003, 11:05 AM   #95
Wrangler

best way to grab stills in Vegas

What's the best way to grab good clean stills from video in Vegas Video 3?
Footage was shot with an XL1 in regular mode, not Frame mode.
Old March 7th, 2003, 11:16 AM   #96
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

in Vegas you can change where it default stores temp, pre-render files, audio files & with Veg files you decide ... also when you install V it will have a C/program files/sonic foundry set up folder that you can delete after install ....

if V crashes then it may not delete the current temp video & audio

take control and you decide where to put these folders

in Vegas OPTIONS/PREFERENCE/GENERAL you decide where TEMP should be

under FILE/NEW now check the box that says "start all new projects with these settings " under Video you can change the pre render folder .... under Audio the audio folder ...
when you go to save a VEG you decide where to save project VEGS files ... also when you render out a new clip again you decide where to put it ..

i put all the Vegas folders next to each other ..IE: V temp, V pre render, V capture , V audio, V veg files, V render. i put these folders on all 3 HDrives ... so when i delete a project the folders are easy to find ...
Old March 7th, 2003, 11:19 AM   #97
Regular Crew

Just above the Video Preview window there is a disk icon for saving a snaptop of the window in jpg or png format. Save png for a lossless copy. Apply any effects you want, set the frame, and snap. For extra deinterlacing, open the clip properties and check the "deinterlace" option.
Old March 7th, 2003, 11:24 AM   #98
Major Player

Thanks Dylan, I use my documents to save still pictures to when I scan them, It's easy to burn them to a CD once I have cleaned them up and don't want to loose them. It is also easy to move them in and out of paint, which is an easy way for me to clean up photos with dirt and scratches. I just thought VV3 may have some delete command that I didn't know about. I was suprised to find the projects stored in C:\Program Files\Sonic Foundry\Vegas 3.0 and not just C/Vegas video?.

Thanks Don, I saw your post after I posted this originally
Old March 7th, 2003, 11:27 AM   #99
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

adding to brians post

make sure you have the preview quality set to BEST when you capture the still ..

the size of the still will be whatever you currently have the preview window set to ...
Old March 7th, 2003, 01:04 PM   #100
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Don Donatello :
the size of the still will be whatever you currently have the preview window set to ... -->>>

I wished this wasn't true, and I hoped they would give us the option to size the photo in the next revision of VV. I was hoping for it in 4.0, but I'm still on 3.0c so I don't know if it changed.
Old March 7th, 2003, 03:54 PM   #101
Sponsor: JET DV

To get the full 655x480 size, make sure you right-click the display window and choose "display at project size". Also, if you want the full 720x480 picture, instead of clicking on the "save" icon, click on the "copy to clipboard" icon. Then open your paint program, start a new picture, and paste it. Once in the paint program, you may want to run a de-interlace filter.

In Vegas 4, all of this got a lot easier, you just have to pick "Best - Full Size" in the peview quality window. There's also a script for Vegas 4 for saving snapshots.
Old March 7th, 2003, 04:00 PM   #102

"I was suprised to find the projects stored in C:\Program Files\Sonic Foundry\Vegas 3.0 and not just C/Vegas video"

It is standard windows practice to install programs in Program Files instead of the root directory.

As was said by Don, the file locations used by Vegas can be configured. I've started a new newsletter for Vegas which can be downloaded from www.jetdv.com/tts/TTS01-01.pdf. If you like it, you can subscribe to future issues at www.jetdv.com/tts. The first issue covers the Options - Preferences settings including changing file locations. The second issue (due to be released within the next 7 to 14 days) deals with the settings found in File - Properties. You may find this useful.
Old March 10th, 2003, 07:04 PM   #103
Regular Crew

Vegas help

I'm currently running demo's of Premiere and Vegas and I'm heavily leaning towards Vegas. I was wondering if anyone has heard of a good book out there or what they did to learn Vegas. I know there's no substitute for hands on experience but just thought I'd ask. I like Adobe's "Classroom in a book" series as it includes a cd so that you can follow along in the book so something similar for Vegas would be nice.

Max
Old March 10th, 2003, 08:54 PM   #104

Which version are you learning, 3.0 or 4.0? You can go to the Sonic Foundry site and buy a workbook with a CD for learning 3.0. Douglas Spotted Eagle has just written a book for 4.0, which should be available as an e-book in the new few weeks.

In the mean time, you should visit the Vegas Video forum at the Sonic Foundry site.

http://www.sonicfoundry.com/forums/default.asp
Old March 10th, 2003, 10:13 PM   #105

I've also started a newsletter at www.jetdv.com/tts that will be published roughly twice per month.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...