Vegas Video discussions from 2003 - Page 75 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old September 20th, 2003, 09:31 PM   #1111
Inner Circle

jpgs wont affect your audio, however they would need to be converted to video format then overlaid which Architect would do for you...

Did you actually import the ac3 file? or were you selecting the mpg2 for video AND audio?

in archtiect you will note that you can either import the ONE file twice (ie audio video off the same source) or you can import video with a different audio stream...

dunno if that was mentioned, but anyway...

the best solution for coaster free Architect burning is to use RW discs, then test them.

If they work fine, just run nero or prassi and do a straight 1:1 copy....

might be tedious to start off with , but its cheaper on media and saves on wear and tear on your equipment considering your burning so much...
Old September 20th, 2003, 10:25 PM   #1112
Major Player

It appears that dragging the rendered file onto the menu page (or just double clicking it) puts both the mpeg file and ac-3 file in the proper places on the media page (using the menu format).

As of yet I have not tried to make another using jpegs in the menu and buttons. It's highly possible I was confusing the object properties with the media properties. I did however always try to preview the project before burning and I always got sound and video? What would have helped me was a good description of the the menu page, object page, and the media page, I think then I would have known where the project needed to be and what should be listed in the page. And I believe
Edward tried to guide me to helpful places but instead I chose to pout and whine!! (I repaired the remote so this learning session only cost me 2 kitchen chairs!)

I am now more familiar with the "menu" format than the "single movie" format. The single movie format is where I had some problems and switching back and fourth only confused me. Perhaps importing into "single movie" is different and I was trying to learn 2 things at once.

I tried using RW disc but my home DVD player didn't like them, said it had a "read error, shut player off and try again" player is about 2 years old. Then again, I am more familiar with the software now and may try again. But I did try RW at first and needed to burn -R to make sure the blank media wasn't the entire problem. My windows media player in XP pro will not play the media in RW, says it has a read error.

Still trying to figure out best way to delete projects after they are finished?

Thanks everyone for their help
Old September 20th, 2003, 11:12 PM   #1113
Regular Crew

Mmm, still didn't work. I just got my GL2 like 2 days ago so i'll try to capture with that.

-Kay

http://www.curtkay.com
I WILL not be held down.
Old September 21st, 2003, 06:54 AM   #1114
New Boot

how about on VV 4?

which i got yesterday.. lo and behold i'm stuck on the same thing! Can y'all please advise me (again!) on how to get the .jpgs saved at 640x480?
thanks very much,
Nancy
Old September 21st, 2003, 11:11 PM   #1115
Sponsor: JET DV

Assuming you are on NTSC, You will get either 655x480 or 720x480 depending on whether or not you want square pixels. To get 655x480 (correct aspect ratio), just click on the Save Snapshot button. To get the full frame of 720x480, click on the copy to clipboard button and paste into your paint program. However, 640x480 is NOT an option.
Old September 21st, 2003, 11:15 PM   #1116

If the date/time was not set on the camera when the tape was recorded, it will never detect scenes in Vegas. Scenalyzer can be used to detect via optical detection. Is the date/time set on the camera that recorded the tape?
Old September 21st, 2003, 11:22 PM   #1117

<<<-- Originally posted by Glen Elliott : Does it also fix the problem with the sync tool not carrying the audio over from the top clip? -->>>

Not sure I completely understand the question. Sync Wizard has been working perfectly for me. One change between 1 and 1.5 is that the names are no longer case sensitive. I suspect this WILL fix your problem.
Old September 22nd, 2003, 08:07 AM   #1118
Trustee

DE-INTERLACE: What am I Doing Wrong?

I captured interlaced footage then loaded it onto my hard drive via fire wire through Vegas 4.0.

1) I set the properties to NONE (deinterlace) and progressive scan. I even right clicked each clip and set the properties to deinterlace (progressive).

My footage still looked interlaced AND frame grabs still wobbled as if the footage was not deinterlaced. What am I doing wrong?

ALSO... I shot a wedding with my XL1s in FRAME mode and again set all properties to deinterlace and progressive. Frame grabs were AWESOME.

STUPID QUESTION #887: Does Vegas 4.0 see FRAME mode footage as 30p? What if I captured and edited FRAME mode footage and kept properties in deinterlaced mode?

HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP
Old September 22nd, 2003, 10:06 AM   #1119
Regular Crew

In Vegas 4, there is a pull down menu above the preview window. It is probably set to "Best (auto)". Set it to "Best (full)" and then hit the save snapshot button (the floppy disk like button above the preview window).
Old September 22nd, 2003, 10:08 AM   #1120
Regular Crew

Set the viewing size in the preview menu to 'full' and find a shot with interlaced artifacts. Go to the project properties and set the field order to "none (progressive)". Set the rendering quality to 'best' instead of 'good'. Set the interlace method to 'blend' or 'interpolate' rather than 'none'. Hit the apply button, and the picture in the preview window should become de-interlaced.
Old September 22nd, 2003, 10:13 AM   #1121
Regular Crew

Subtitles

Is it possible to:

1) Have subtitles at the bottom of the screen with a black bar/box behind the text, to make it more readable?

2) Make the subtitles/text at the bottom of the screen scroll across the screen? The scrolling text/credits option makes the text scroll across the middle of the screen, and there is no option to put the text at the bottom.

I want to scroll website, post address, and other comments across the bottom of the screen during a 30 sec. commercial. Anyone have any generic suggestions on making it look 'professional'?
Old September 22nd, 2003, 12:06 PM   #1122

1) Yes.
2) Yes.

You need to create TWO additional tracks. One for the background color and one for the text. Place a black generated media on track 2 and use pan/crop and/or Track Motion to resize and place it. Then put the text on track 1.

The Position tab of the text media editing box can be used to position the text onto the black area and, by using keyframes, can also create moving text.
Old September 22nd, 2003, 01:39 PM   #1123
Trustee

Okay. I will give that a whirl. I probably mucked it up somewhere along the lione.

Thanks
Old September 22nd, 2003, 01:42 PM   #1124
Trustee

Still, can anybody answer part two of my question?
Old September 22nd, 2003, 03:00 PM   #1125
Regular Crew

I've not used a camera with frame mode, but from what I have heard, what you download from the camera is 60i, it's just that the information in each field is 1/2 of a 30p frame (captured by the camera), so you can just go ahead and edit frame mode footage just like 60i footage - you probably shouldn't try to de-interlace it.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...