Vegas Video discussions from 2003 - Page 78 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old September 25th, 2003, 12:14 AM   #1156
Inner Circle

ok heres another phenomenon...

i have a video clip running a velocity envelope of about 15%, not im getting EXTREME strobing but thats not where it ends.

When i use the same routine, but get the velocities to go to zero, sometimes i get jitter so much so that the image is filthy, this is during the freezeframe, im runnign effects like bump maps and colour change to BW as well as track motion, so the actual frame may be frozen, but the actual screen activity isnt.

any ideas on how to fix this?
Im not using 25p but im using 50i with blended fields within the render routine...

any help on this is GREATLY appreciated, and the strange thing is, it only happens sometimes, its not a consistent problem...
Old September 25th, 2003, 12:17 AM   #1157
Regular Crew

The HD edit workflow:

1.Connect a firewire board to your computer, and install the drivers.

2.Get your movies from the with the provided capture device.

3.Watch your m2t .ts movies with the VideoLAN player:
http://www.videolan.org/

4.(here comes the tricky part) Demux the clips that you want to keep using HDTVtoMPEG2 1.09.
http://www.midwinter.com/~bcooley/
http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downloads/hdtvtompeg2.html

5.Start Sonic Foundry Vegas 4.0.

6.Choose File -> Import files/media

7.Choose the right destination, here if you canīt see the files press *.* to see all files.

8. Select the files you want, press ok.

9.Vegas ask for the mainconcept HD codec, and if you registrate the VEGAS software you will get the codec for free. I registrated and restarted VEGAS.

10. You can now edit HD in VEGAS and you can also convert it into DVD and to .avi -files for usage in after effects or combustion.
This way is a pain in the butt, so I would like to recomend Cineform Aspect HD for fast easy editing in Premiere 6.5 and PRO
Here is a link to mainconcept:
http://www.mainconcept.com/index_flash.shtml
GOOD LUCK!!
/j
Old September 25th, 2003, 06:17 AM   #1158
Trustee

snapping clips

I don't know what I clicked, but now, every time I load clips on the timeline, the little itsy bitsy triangular markers that used to be at the top edges of the abutting clips are no longer there and the clips do not snap together. Now, before everybody calls me an imbecile and tells me to activate the snapping effect, I did that. Why can I not get those little triangles back in the upper corners of the clips that join together on the timeline? What did I accidentally do to make them disappear? The clips don't snap together any more! RATS!
Old September 25th, 2003, 08:17 AM   #1159
Sponsor: JET DV

I tried to duplicate your problem and could not find a way. Even with snapping turned off, the triangles are still there. Maybe a reboot would help?
Old September 25th, 2003, 08:21 AM   #1160
Trustee

Thanks John and Barry. You put me on the right path with that codec.
The way it works is this. You are not able to import the JVC's files if you do not have the free MainConcept MPEG codec plugin.
Once you have this codec, the files go in easily. You do not automatically receive the codec when you register Vegas. The easiest way to get the codec is to drag any clip (even jpg) onto the timeline and then go into "render as" and choose MainConcept MPEG. At this point you will be prompted to register the codec. After that, you can either drag the m2t files into Vegas, or if you want to click them in, you must change the file types to [View All"."] *each time* you go in to select a new file, as the default is "All Media". You DO NOT need to change the file type to .mpg in order to import them into Vegas.
I've been experimenting with various types of compression/decompression of some m2t files posted here. I plan on taking some stills of the results. I'll get back soon.
Dave
Old September 25th, 2003, 08:53 AM   #1161
Trustee

Well, in frustration, I closed the application down and didn't reboot. Also, I notice that when I connect the clips on the timeline and then separate themfor whatever reason, the edges bump inward, as if I was fading them. Is there anything wrong with my program? I don;t know if this is an issue, but the dedicated hard drive is about 1/3 full with wedding video clips.
Old September 25th, 2003, 09:50 AM   #1162
Regular Crew

Actually I think they need the real address on there somewhere. The problem is, this is for the Outdoors channel, and I guess the target audience is basically "dusty old prospector guys" who don't know anything about the internet.

I saw a local ad last nite that had a restaurant address in a nice white font with shadow in the lower left corner. I might give that a shot.
Old September 25th, 2003, 09:56 AM   #1163

I HAVE noticed times that, after overlapping which creates the dissolve, when the clips are separated the dissolve remains. This doesn't happen frequently or consistently so, if needed, I just remove the fade.
Old September 25th, 2003, 10:05 AM   #1164
Trustee

okay. Thanks for the advice. By the way, I have three different projects loaded and I notice that all three now do that annoying thingy where the triangles disappear. It's funny, about a month ago the triangles were there, now they're not. It drives me bonkers when I can't figure out the cause of the quirk. Do you have an "in" with Sonic Foundry? Maybe somebody there can troubleshoot? Any help would be appreciat
Old September 25th, 2003, 10:43 AM   #1165

Probably the best suggestion would be to uninstall and reinstall. Or at least do a "repair" install.
Old September 25th, 2003, 11:54 AM   #1166
Trustee

How do I do a "repair" install?
Old September 25th, 2003, 12:18 PM   #1167

You do a regular install (without uninstalling) and pick the repair option.
Old September 25th, 2003, 12:50 PM   #1168
Trustee

If I remember correctly, it just has a "repair" point and click as opposed to clicking re-install? Also, will it effect any of the three finished projects I have on there now?
Old September 25th, 2003, 12:51 PM   #1169
Trustee

By the way... I appreciate all your help. It's not always you get a real live wrangler giving personalized service. I'm not taking your help for granted. Thank you.
Old September 25th, 2003, 01:08 PM   #1170

Yes, it's a repair radio button instead of the install radio button. Your existing projects will not be touched. And thanks for the comments.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...