DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Video discussions from 2003 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/6105-vegas-video-discussions-2003-a.html)

Max Mishler March 11th, 2003 08:12 AM

Thanks guys, I'll look into your suggestions!

Max

Nathan Gifford March 11th, 2003 08:17 AM

Vegas 4 really looks good from the specs and with DVD appears to be a killer NLE.

Jay Gladwell March 11th, 2003 08:24 AM

Well, Nathan, you'll find that those of us that use Vagas would agree with you 100%--it is a killer NLE. Finally, it has caught up to and surpassed every other NLE out there.

Having said that, let me also say I have not used all other NLE apps. But I have read too many posts by users of every other NLE app that have said that very thing. So I'm just repeating what've heard (read). ;o)

David Mintzer March 11th, 2003 08:40 AM

Definately a killer NLE--but DVD architect needs some work. However, its only version 1.0 and knowing the people over at Sonic Foundry they will fine tune it pretty soon.

Josh Bass March 13th, 2003 01:48 AM

AARRGH! Crappy previewing in Vegas 3

I had Win 98 previously, and my video previews were fine in Vegas Video 3. I'm talking previews from the computer monitor, with no effects, plain old video.

I put in Win XP Pro recently, and now my previews are very stuttery. The playhead will run smoothly across the timeline for various lengths of time (sometimes five seconds, sometimes twenty minutes) and then stop, during which period I can't do anything with the playhead, and after about ten or fifteen seconds, it will become usable again. Sometimes it tells me it was "unable to mix audio, time out," or something like that. If anyone has suggestions, I'd like to hear them. I've been doing the videoguys.com tweaks for Win XP, though I haven't done the ones where you edit the registry yet. . .maybe that's the problem.

Also, is there a way to keep Vegas from showing the actual frames of video in the timeline on the video clips? If so, might this make a difference?

Nathan Gifford March 13th, 2003 05:41 AM

You might check how much memory you have. XP likes lots more memory than Win98 does. The other thing is to check whether your system is XP compliant (are you running Pro or Home); just because you can load it does not mean it will run properly.

You might want to do a search on XP or Vegas. There are a number of posts from individuals who also had problems with XP.

Also, post some information on your system. Its a little hard to offer suggestions without system details.

Dan Measel March 13th, 2003 08:46 AM

Color correction on VV4

I just finished my first project on VV4. It is a great program and fun to use. Only one thing kept bugging me. When I would apply color correct or brightness/contrast to an event I assumed if I clicked on any point on an event in the timeline it would adjust the color for the whole event. That proved to be wrong. So I clicked on the beginning of the clip to adjust. The strange thing is it doesn't adjust the very begining of the event but quickly fades into the adjusted color. This wasn't a critical issue for this project since I used a lot of crossfades between the events, but could see how this would be too noticeable with a straight cut (without any transition). Is there an easier way of doing this. Most of the time when I have problems I find I'm just doing some simple step wrong.

Thanks

Steven-Marc Couchouron March 13th, 2003 09:38 AM

Could it be you had keyframing enabled?

Check to see that the "sync cursor" button beneath the keyframing timeline (inside the FX window) isn't selected...

Jay Gladwell March 13th, 2003 10:12 AM

Dan, your best bet for getting answers to your Vegas questions is to go to Sonic Foundry's Vegas forum: http://www.sonicfoundry.com/forums/default.asp. Scroll down and select "Vegas--Video Topics". You won't be sorry!

David Mintzer March 13th, 2003 11:23 AM

Billy Boy over at the Sonic Foundry Forum has a great tutorial on color correcting.

Brian M. Dickman March 13th, 2003 02:30 PM

I'd suggest looking into your DMA settings for hard drive access, if this is coming from an IDE drive. Right click "My Computer" and pick "manage" to get to the device manager, and check the properties on your IDE controllers. You should have Ultra DMA enabled.

Depending on your chipset, you likely need updated drivers. For Intel chipsets, visit http://support.intel.com and get the latest chipset driver package (it's generic and covers all chipsets in the last few years). For Via, find the latest 4-in-one.

Josh Bass March 13th, 2003 03:34 PM

Drivers for what exactly? I've updated my video card, (though not the sound card--the website said not to because of problems people had had with their drivers). I have an AMD processor, not an Intel. DMA is enabled.

System Details:

AMD 1600 XP processor (approx. 1 gigahertz)
1024 MB of RAM
NVIDIA Diamond Viper 770D Video Card
Aureal Vortex 8830 Sound Card
WIN XP PRO

Sorry don't know the speed of the C drive--it's whatever came with this computer and I have no idea how to look it up

Media drive for video is a LaCIE 80GB Firewire Drive, 7200 RPM

Anything I left out? Can't think of anything else that would be pertinent.

Edward Troxel March 13th, 2003 03:38 PM

Here is the key: "unable to mix audio, time out,"

By this, I assume the video is on a firewire drive and NOT an internal drive. Some have claimed that rebuilding the peak files will help solve this problem (F5). Others have mentioned uping the audio buffer from .35 to .40.

If all of these fail, try copying the data to an internal drive and seeing if the problem still exists. If the problem goes away on the internal drive, it is a Windows problem in communicating with the firewire device which may require any or all of the following to fix:

1) A different firewire enclusure (don't know what brand you have)
2) A different firewire card (also don't know the brand)
3) Changing the hard drive to a USB enclosure.

Edward Troxel March 13th, 2003 03:41 PM

It sounds like you are NOT setting the FIRST keyframe to the correction values. You can make sure you get the FIRST keyframe by clicking on the box that looks like a diamond with a left arrow in it and a vertical line to the left of it. Clicking on that will guarantee you are on the first keyframe. Also, if the box with the little lock is clicked, turn it OFF. Then you can click anywhere on the clip and the keyframe timeline will not follow causing you to create additional keyframes.

Josh Bass March 13th, 2003 03:45 PM

A good idea. Thanks.

I seem to remember problems even without audio, i.e. if I removed the audio from the timeline. I'll try it again though.