Vegas Video discussions from 2003 - Page 81 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old September 30th, 2003, 03:05 AM   #1201
Major Player

hmmmm..... for me sonicfoundry.com still gives me the screenblast page.
Old September 30th, 2003, 03:17 AM   #1202
Regular Crew

Try this - they seem to have changed address!

http://www.mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/forums/ShowTopics.asp?ForumID=4
Old September 30th, 2003, 03:19 AM   #1203
Regular Crew

can vegas export as the original m2t files?
Old September 30th, 2003, 03:20 AM   #1204
Major Player

ok. got it. thanks peter.
Old September 30th, 2003, 04:01 AM   #1205
Regular Crew

Vegas seems to just love being used, irrespective of the resolution.

Personally, I like as much space as possible, so on my desktop I use 1280 x 1024, and on the laptop 1600 x 1200.
Old September 30th, 2003, 06:35 AM   #1206
Trustee

Dynamic RAM Preview Max in Vegas 4

Hi,
Under OPTIONS/PREFERENCES/VIDEO there is a box to set the amount of RAM "to dedicate for video previews".
I really don't understand how this affects how Vegas operates.
I've always left it at the default of 16MB. Next to this box, Vegas says the max available with my system is 639MB.
Could anyone give me some clarification/guidance regarding
selecting an optimal value?
Thanks.
Old September 30th, 2003, 06:41 AM   #1207
Inner Circle

yeah basically when u wanna run a full preview of your project which is frame accurate, you can use teh "create dynamic ram preview" which will render the file to ram and play directly from there.

good for testing effects
Old September 30th, 2003, 07:20 AM   #1208
Sponsor: JET DV

Go ahead and change it to the max available. It won't be used unless you tell it to. But the more you allow the longer the amount of time you can "ram render". For example, with 16 meg, you can ram render a few frames. With 600 meg, you can ram render a few seconds! Do a search in help for "Ram Render"
Old September 30th, 2003, 08:11 AM   #1209
Wrangler

Laptop: 1600x1200
Desktop: 2560x1024 (dual lcd monitors)

There's no resolution that Vegas runs at best as it's a desktop application and unlike games it's performance isn't affected by resolution. However much screen real-estate you prefer at the expense of smaller text and dialog boxes.
Personally I like high resolutions as my eyes are still young and I can handle the tiny icons and text.
Old September 30th, 2003, 08:19 AM   #1210
Wrangler

What happens when you run out of ram- say you create a selection for 5 minutes and try to ram render that? Will it just stop when it runs out of ram?....Won't using *all* your ram possibly create instability?
Lastly will the dynamic ram preview go to the swap file for space after physical memory is exhausted?
Old September 30th, 2003, 08:25 AM   #1211
Wrangler

How does the Preview Window display video; overlay?

I know Premiere uses video overlay to display the preview window. You can actually open up your graphic card's video overlay settings while in Premiere and adjust the display of the preview window.
How does Vegas display video in the preview window? Primary Surface, not overlay?

I ask because I recently have been having problems with video shearing/tearing in games and during pans in the preview window in Vegas. I enable V-sync in my direct 3d options which solved the problem in all my games. However I still get the video tearing during lots of movement and pans in my preview window when viewing it at full size (both in Preview, and Full-Quality modes). That is the reason which leads me to believe Vegas doesn't utilize video overlay- if it had the video shearing/tearing should have ceased. Anyone have any input regarding this issue?
Old September 30th, 2003, 09:26 AM   #1212

Vegas does NOT use video overlay.

For previewing on an external monitor, it's best to go out the firewire port.
Old September 30th, 2003, 09:28 AM   #1213
Regular Crew

Lisa,
I ordered Vegas+DVD on Sunday after downloading the demo version and playing with it on SD clips over the weekend. I almost purchased the software directly from Sonic Foundry (Sony now) but prior to pressing submit on web order form for I checked a few prices from 3rd party software vendors. I was pleasantly surprised when I found I could purchase the +DVD version for less than the price of the download Vegas only version. The demo version allows you to do most anything except load and edit HD Streams so considering thats what I was after that was kind of a downer. There seems to be some confusion in regards to if any conversions must be performed on the file prior to editing so until I have the software in hand I will not be able to answer any of your questions. The software should be in later today so hopefully I will be able to answer some of your questions first hand.

I have never worked with NLE software prior do trying out the demo with the exception of the very lame software that came with the camera and a brief trial of Adobe Premiere. I was very impressed with what you can do with very little training. I could actually be at a slight advantage on training with the program because my lack experiencing made it easy because I had no predetermined ideas on the way that tasks are performed.

Performance using demo version on SD is outstanding hopefully the same will be true with the HD stream files. Every task with out exception except final rendering were performed with out delay effortlessly. The PC I am using is a fairly powerful unit with a 3.0 Ghz P4, 800 Mhz FSB, 1 Gb of dual channel 400 Mhz DDR ram and a 7200 rpm SATA hard drive. I am looking forward to the using the software and will report back on my efforts.

Mike
Old September 30th, 2003, 09:29 AM   #1214

It will only render for the amount of RAM you have. It should not use the swap file. It will release the RAM if other apps need it.
Old September 30th, 2003, 11:35 AM   #1215
Wrangler

I know it's just that I don't always like having my camera out with all the wires. I only connect the camera for external monitor view for color correction.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...