Vegas Video discussions from 2003 - Page 83 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old October 1st, 2003, 10:31 AM   #1231
Major Player

Yah the main reason for the question is for the reason not to haul an external HD everywhere I go. But I think your guys idea is the best. I think I will render out lower resoultion clips with timecode and then just bring them back into vegas and start editing.
Also do you guy know a good windows platform Laptop with firewire ports?
Old October 1st, 2003, 05:04 PM   #1232
Regular Crew

ah ha

this cleared up a couple of things
thanks much
Neil
Old October 1st, 2003, 08:40 PM   #1233
Regular Crew

Is the cut out at the beginning? If so I would zoom in real close and see if you have a gap. You might can grab the left edge on the sound track and pull it to the left or you might need to move the whole thing to the left. You might try both. You can always undo.
Old October 1st, 2003, 10:43 PM   #1234
Regular Crew

The same thing happened to me, and still happens unfortunately. I deleted the track and put it back and the exact same defect was there. Then I deleted it opened it in a seperate file and rendered as a different audio only file and imported back to the original project. This worked, but then more defects showed up (maybe 2 or 3) and when I panicked and repeated the steps it only worked some of the time which drove me crazy. This was all in preview though and after I gave up and rendered it, the defects weren't present (thank God). Anyway, it sounds like your problem is on the rendered clip though. The SoFo tech assistant told me it could be a sound card issue, whatever. This is one of the few problems I have encountered while using Vegas.
Old October 2nd, 2003, 12:32 AM   #1235
Slash Rules!

Hmm.

That might make sense if it weren't for the fact that the other two rendered clips that have the EXACT SAME audio tag are fine.
Old October 2nd, 2003, 06:25 AM   #1236
Trustee

If you can install the sound card properly, then you can set this up properly. There's no point in giving a step by step unless and until you buy the Audigy2. Other cards, I don't know exactly how they'll work.
Old October 2nd, 2003, 08:54 AM   #1237
Wrangler

After finally putting a good 100 hours or so editing in Vegas....

I have, indeed, found some quirks- though I don't know how to reproduce them but it has happened on 3 separate occassions. Every so often when I'm neck deep in editing and I'm working with 4 layers, and lots of many small clips I end up seeing a frame of a clip that is totaly unrelated and not even in the same area of the timeline. For example my one clip of the outside of the church kept getting a 1 frame blip from a shot of the bride walking down the isle. I roomed all the way in to take a closer look and couldn't "see" the frame on the timeline however it *was* there. As I went through the clip frame by frame I could pin point the exact frame where the odd frame appears. Oddly enough the odd frame was from another clip, albiet on the timeline, but not underneath nor even in the same vacinity of the church clip. I saved the project, shut down Vegas, reloaded Vegas and opened the project again and the problem was gone?! Any idea why this happens?!

Secondly every so often when I'm working with a montage sequence of many clips back to back with dissolves and I'm changing clip rates (via Alt+Drag)my disolves get messed up. As clip A disolves into clip B, the beginning of clip B looks dark as if it's opacity isn't at 100%. After closer inspection I notice that the actual dissolve curve is messed up and clip B isn't fading in fast enough or clip A is fading out too fast. I didn't understand how it got that way but I simply tried right clicking the disolve and re-assigning the correct curve again....which didn't work. The only way I can fix this when it happens is drag clip B to the right so that A and B aren't overlapped then back to the left again overlapping them. If I do that it resets it to the correct curve. Now this particular problem can be caused from me manipulating clip speeds and splicing though when I tried to reproduce the problem by overlapping two clips and changing clip speeds up and down I couldn't get the same result. The curve stayed intact the whole time. Does anyone know how a dissolve curve can get messed up like this?!
Old October 2nd, 2003, 10:40 AM   #1238
Sponsor: JET DV

I've seen both happen. For the first one, usually just pressing the space bar to start playback and then pressing it again to stop playback clears up the issue for me. I have seen it VERY infrequently (i.e. maybe 2 or 3 times over the past dozen weddings).

The fade in/out problem I see more frequently. I seems to be related to a dissolve already set and then adjusting the clip via CTRL-Drag in some way. Visually, the "X" looks like half of it is extra long. I can't force a duplication of this issue. I have found that if you just slighly nudge the clip with the mouse it goes back to normal. Now, I usually do the CTRL-Drag BEFORE creating the dissolve.
Old October 2nd, 2003, 11:47 AM   #1239
Wrangler

Yes your right it's CTRL+Drag (not Alt+Drag)...just going from memory. Well it's nice to hear I'm not the only one this has happened to. And regarding the faulted disolve curves- I figured it had something to do with changing lengths after the dissolve was set. Oddly enough, like I said, I couldn't reproduce the problem when I actually tried to cause it...lol, itsn't that the way it always is!

Re: The one frame problem. I'm not sure if I hit the space bar to start and stop while on the clip, though I'd have to assume I did beings that's the keyboard shortcut I use the MOST.

Even with these two minor glitches it's pristeen compared to buggy Premiere 6.0. I must admit I'm a bit curious to give Premiere Pro and especially Encore a whirl. I absolutly love Photoshop and Encore's tight integration with Photoshop will prove to be very handy. I just hope it has no problems with Vegas files....then again by the time they even hit Encore they'll already be MP2s.

Edward, have you experimented with any of these programs? Oh yeah, and thanks for the input regarding the glitches- do you think I should notify Sony about them...or are they so rare that it won't be something they'll prioritize fixing?
Old October 2nd, 2003, 01:58 PM   #1240
Sponsor: JET DV

<<<-- Originally posted by Glen Elliott : Edward, have you experimented with any of these programs? Oh yeah, and thanks for the input regarding the glitches- do you think I should notify Sony about them...or are they so rare that it won't be something they'll prioritize fixing? -->>>

I haven't really had an opportunity to use the Adobe suite of programs. As for these problems, go ahead and report them - can't hurt. It would be nice to find one and take a snapshot of it to show them what it looks like. It would be even nicer to have step by step reproduction.

Well, I just got it to do it. I took a clip, split it 4 times, spread things out, did some CTRL-Drag resizing and overlapping. The third clip was overlapping the second clip (both stretched) and the 4th clip (also stretched). I then did a CTRL-Drag on the 3rd clip farther into clip 4 and the dissolve between clips 2 and 3 now has the misshaped "X"
Old October 2nd, 2003, 05:23 PM   #1241
Wrangler

We shall pioneer this problem and name it the DREADED "Mis-Shapped X"! Bummm BUMMMMM *imposing music*

I'm sorry I'm a bit wacky right now I'm sooo close to finishing my first wedding in Vegas. Took me over 3 months (up from 1 1/2 months I usually take) I have one more sceen to edit and two to color correct then it's off to assembling the peices and encoding the MP2! I'd love, repeat LOVE to show you guys the highlight montage I did- I'm really proud of it! Probably the best work I've done yet!! Vegas definitly helped use my creative energy more effieciently. What a difference an NLE can make!!!!
Old October 2nd, 2003, 07:56 PM   #1242
Wrangler

Color correction latency with larger clips?

Was doing some mass color corrections and monitoring the results on external monitor via IEEE tonight and noticed there was a huge delay as I changed settings, yet other clips have very little delay. Is it possible for larger clips to have a latency while color correcting due to their size, even though the instance/event of the clip is small?

Also every so often the screen would flash blue for a second then come back... almost like it lost connection with the camera- is this normal.
Old October 4th, 2003, 11:47 AM   #1243
Regular Crew

GRHD1/Vegas 4.0d WMP9 Demo here.

Hi all,
Just got my copy of Vegas yesterday and I put this together last night then encode it for WMP9. I have the quality level set lower to create a smaller file size (about 45 Mb/min) so it’s not as good as a native mpeg2 but IMO acceptable. I may be able to reduce the file size further by adjusting some of the encoder settings. To play this file you should have at least a 2.4 Ghz P4 and WMP9

Right Click and Select Save Target As

This is the first NLE I have worked with and I must say I am impressed with the capabilities.

Note: I am still not that comfortable with the cameras manual settings so be kind. I going out later today to shoot more footage and experiment with some of the suggestions posted in the HD1 forum.

Thanks!
Mike
Old October 4th, 2003, 04:59 PM   #1244
Wrangler

The ZO6 is one badd-a** car- I have my sights on a more realistic car for my budget the 2004 Subaru Impreza STi, awd, 0-60 in 5.1 seconds, 1/4 mile in 13.6...bone stock and thats with 3 cats to pass US emissions- oh and it's a 4 cylinder as well! I only wish I had the funds for a Vette. Very nice.

On to the video- very sharp. HD correct? Refresh my memory which camera is the GRHD1? Is that the JVC mini-dv cam?
I would have gone HD but I don't think enough of my clients (for weddings) have the hardware to display HD footage.

Regarding the editing ...not bad, especially for being *new* to NLE. Very imaginative. The only quam I have is I'm not usually a big fan of flashy transitions (flying window) and during some of your 4 window shots there isn't enough movement in all the frames. There was a good deal of time when 3 frames had still shots with only 1 showing action- then again, that might have been the idea. Lastly the ZO6 deserves more sinister music- sounded more like a corporate training video. Why not some rock or metal!

All in all great job and stick with it, you definitly have the imagination to create some great work. Keep us posted on your future edits. Oh and kudos on the beautiful car and as a fan of hi-fi home theater hardware myself... awesome set-up *I glanced at your homepage!*
Old October 4th, 2003, 10:58 PM   #1245
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Glen Elliott : The ZO6 is one badd-a** car- I have my sights on a more realistic car for my budget the 2004 Subaru Impreza STi, awd, 0-60 in 5.1 seconds, 1/4 mile in 13.6...bone stock and thats with 3 cats to pass US emissions- oh and it's a 4 cylinder as well! I only wish I had the funds for a Vette. Very nice.

On to the video- very sharp. HD correct? Refresh my memory which camera is the GRHD1? Is that the JVC mini-dv cam?
I would have gone HD but I don't think enough of my clients (for weddings) have the hardware to display HD footage.

Regarding the editing ...not bad, especially for being *new* to NLE. Very imaginative. The only quam I have is I'm not usually a big fan of flashy transitions (flying window) and during some of your 4 window shots there isn't enough movement in all the frames. There was a good deal of time when 3 frames had still shots with only 1 showing action- then again, that might have been the idea. Lastly the ZO6 deserves more sinister music- sounded more like a corporate training video. Why not some rock or metal!

All in all great job and stick with it, you definitly have the imagination to create some great work. Keep us posted on your future edits. Oh and kudos on the beautiful car and as a fan of hi-fi home theater hardware myself... awesome set-up *I glanced at your homepage!* -->>>

Thanks Glen!

Yea the Z runs pretty good. A friend of mine is looking the Subaru, it’s also a very impressive package.

Yes the camera is the consumer HD model. I made a few changes per your suggestions I did leave in the flashy transition but I took more footage today to add more motion to the 4 windows. I also change the music. BTW everything was shot by myself with the camera on a tripod. All the shots where the car is moving I was driving.

Right Click and Select Save Target As

Thanks for the tips

Mike

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...