Vegas Video discussions from 2003 - Page 92 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old October 19th, 2003, 02:53 PM   #1366
Sponsor: JET DV

You could just use a separate track for all segments on which the effect is not supposed to occur.
Old October 19th, 2003, 09:40 PM   #1367
Trustee

Edward, would that work? Wouldn't the lower tracks always be composited with the sight that's sitting on top? Hmm, just thinking but do you mean make a Parent->Child relationshoip between 2 tracks, 1 with sight and the other only where the sight is to sit? Ok, I didn't try that. Damn, I'm still at work.

Cheers
Aaron
Old October 20th, 2003, 07:06 AM   #1368

Yes, I was assuming a parent/child relationship. If you don't have that, wahat if the "third" track is actually track #1?
Old October 20th, 2003, 10:11 AM   #1369
Major Player

Call up CMP (www.cmpbooks.com - 415-947-6615) and explain, they may be sympathetic. They would most likely request you send them the damaged originals first, and they replace them.
Old October 20th, 2003, 11:32 AM   #1370
Tourist

JVC DVS3U deck compatability?

Anyone using this JVC DV deck with Vegas or other NLE software?

Can the software controll this deck like most camcorders?

Also, can you out put to a NTSC monitor thru the deck for realtime analog previews?
Old October 20th, 2003, 02:41 PM   #1371
Regular Crew

Thanks Andrew,

I've sent an email to CMP and will let everyone know the outcome.
Old October 21st, 2003, 07:24 PM   #1372
Regular Crew

Need help with Vegas Inserting Time

Does anyone know how to fix this problem? I have a 20 minute project in Vegas 4 with 6 tracks. I added a 45 second event near the beginning of the project (insert time) but didn't notice until after I had saved and exited and then reopened later that the time was only added to the first 2 tracks (therefore can't do 'edit undo'). Now all the other tracks are 45 seconds off. I'd rather not spend hours resetting these tracks and tried to add 45 seconds to them to make it easier to manage. But everytime I do it adds 45 seconds to the original 2 tracks too. Is there a way to add time to an idividual track? And for the future is there a way to add time to all the tracks in a project instead of just the first 2? Man I hope there's an easy way to do this or I am doomed. I have several projects that need additions to the beginning of them. Like most things in vegas there's usually a simple solution. Does anyone know what it is?

On the same note does anyone know if you can tell Excalibur's gap wizard to close the gaps but maintain the relationship between multiple tracks?

Thanks
Old October 21st, 2003, 08:50 PM   #1373
Inner Circle

Somewhat inelegant solution:
right click and select all clips forward. Move them forward by 45 seconds (would help with snapping on).
Old October 22nd, 2003, 07:20 AM   #1374

Re: Need help with Vegas Inserting Time

<<<-- Originally posted by Dan Measel : Does anyone know how to fix this problem? I have a 20 minute project in Vegas 4 with 6 tracks. I added a 45 second event near the beginning of the project (insert time) but didn't notice until after I had saved and exited and then reopened later that the time was only added to the first 2 tracks -->>>

I agree with Glen, select the first event on the tracks that need adjusting, right-click and choose "Select events to end", and then manually move them to the correct position. That's probably the quickest way in this case.

NEXT TIME: Press CTRL-SHIFT-A to deselect all events BEFORE inserting the time. Insert time will work on selected events and igore non-selected events. If you deselect them all first, it will apply to all events.

<<<-- Originally posted by Dan Measel : On the same note does anyone know if you can tell Excalibur's gap wizard to close the gaps but maintain the relationship between multiple tracks? -->>>

Depends. Are both tracks FULL? (i.e. a complete audio track associated with a complete video track). In this case, the answer would be YES. If you have 20 video clips and 5 audio clips, the answer would be NO.
Old October 22nd, 2003, 05:02 PM   #1375
Regular Crew

Word is that the author is posting some files that were missing from the disc-see DMN Vegas forums- ask for DSE
Old October 22nd, 2003, 05:17 PM   #1376
Regular Crew

Thanks George,

Just checking out the forum now...
Old October 22nd, 2003, 07:47 PM   #1377
Regular Crew

Brilliant! You guys are great. Thanks a million.
Old October 23rd, 2003, 12:11 AM   #1378
Regular Crew

Cookie Cutter shapes

Is there any way I can make draw my own shapes while using this feature?
Old October 23rd, 2003, 05:34 AM   #1379
Major Player

1 You can create a mask in PaintShop Pro or Photoshop etc.

2 You can add a symbol from any kind of font (Dingbats and stuff) in the Text generator and make it transparent. The background is transparent by default.

3 You can add several instances of Cookie Cutter to the same event and go for a combined shape.

Personally I find 2 the mot versatile and easy to use.
Old October 23rd, 2003, 06:29 AM   #1380
Regular Crew

I didn't think of 2, a good idea actually thanks.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...