Vegas Video discussions from 2003 - Page 93 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old October 23rd, 2003, 06:43 AM   #1381
Major Player

You're welcome.
Remember, if you need a really thin line, use a symbold with a solid shape, add outline under Effects, drag the thickness down to 0.001 and make both the symbol and the backgrund transparent.

(I don't understand why so many people keep putting the Vegas Text generator down. I think it's marvellous.)
Old October 23rd, 2003, 07:56 PM   #1382
Regular Crew

Crossroads

I find myself the NLE crossroads. I am a longtime Premiere User and a Matrox RT2500 owner. Since Matrox is not going to offer a patch for the RT2500 My options for upgrading include purchasing the RTX100 PPro upgrade....Or...Switch to Vegas. Up until this point I have been a little scared of Vegas because of the lack of 3rd party support. Now that Sony is at the marketing helm I am more cofident it the 3rd Party arena. I am curious why I should switch from Premiere to Vegas. What are the advantages over PPro. The workflow is a little different for me but I am sure i would become used to it...Some of my questions include

Can Vegas import a Photoshop file and seperate all of the layer and asign them into a discrete alpha channel.

Can Vegas output a 24p Mpeg for a 24p authored DVD

Can Vegas playback several clips at once allowing my to "switch" between cameras like a live shoot.

Can Vegas take advantage of my VST and DirectX audio software.

Is there tight midi integration that would allow me to use it as a trigger for starting a midi sequence in Cubase SX

Is Vegas ASIO 2 compliant

Those are just a few of my question I would appreciate if you guys could assist me in this tough choice. Also does anyone know if they plan to offer Network rendering, OpenGL optimization, or 3rd party SD and HD hardware.

Thanks,
Old October 23rd, 2003, 10:13 PM   #1383
Inner Circle

Quote:
Can Vegas playback several clips at once allowing my to "switch" between cameras like a live shoot.
You can add markers and name them in real-time (i.e. the angle you want).
You can make edits while the playhead is moving (only split/blade edit works well when doing this).
You can add a voiceover and do your multicam editing.
With a 3rd party plugin (Excalibur) multicam editing is even more powerful.
Old October 24th, 2003, 01:17 AM   #1384
Major Player

You can try before you buy.
Old October 24th, 2003, 07:36 AM   #1385
Sponsor: JET DV

Can Vegas import a Photoshop file and seperate all of the layer and asign them into a discrete alpha channel?

Vegas can import Photoshop files but it will NOT separate the layers (it will be flattened). Alpha channels will be maintained.

Can Vegas output a 24p Mpeg for a 24p authored DVD?

YES - and DVD Architect can produce those 24p DVDs.

Can Vegas playback several clips at once allowing my to "switch" between cameras like a live shoot?

YES. You have several options available for this. I suggest you read issue #9 of my newsletter at http://www.jetdv.com/tts for a full explanation.

Can Vegas take advantage of my VST and DirectX audio software?

YES.

Is there tight midi integration that would allow me to use it as a trigger for starting a midi sequence in Cubase SX?

I believe that answer is Yes but I don't have first hand experience here.

Is Vegas ASIO 2 compliant?

Vegas can use ASIO drivers.
Old October 24th, 2003, 09:38 PM   #1386
Regular Crew

To import separate psd layers you have to save each layer as a separate file with alpha.

On the rare occasions I've wanted to do this it didn't take long ....
Old October 25th, 2003, 03:58 AM   #1387
Regular Crew

What shall I install?

Today I shall for the first time get my first film to Vegas 4.

My first try was not successful. It's happend nothing. And I suppose it was because I hadn't yet install the "Digital Video Solution Disk"?

But what is that for a disk?

Is it only for stills? It's look so when you read the manual.

But, but, if I install it shall I also install "DVC Storage Driver"?

Because in the manual it is written after instaling the "Digital Video Solution Disk": "Next, install the DVC Storage Driver. Do not remove the CD-ROM from the computer's drive."

Is that necessary?

Can somebody please explain what and have much I shall install?

I have XP-Home.
Old October 25th, 2003, 04:12 AM   #1388
Old Boot

WinME here . . . and Vegas and XM2! - So we alre nearly on the same wave length, apart from the OS . . okay?

Yes the S/w is for the Stills . . I found this confusing too.

Make sure you have Vegas loaded and working. If this is the first time for Vegas I guess you have V4version A - yeah? The latest UG for V4 is "D" . . you might wish to UG to this version. There are some scripting functions that only work from B and then other plugins - Excalibur - that come into play from C onwards - yeah?

But, but but in essence you should be good to go, as long all your other XP stuff is up to date, just plug in Cammie and go to VidCap and off yer go!

. . I guess this thread might be popped over to the Vegas site by our Kennel Maters, before to long . . . anyway . . .

As to Drivers, I believe, as with WinME, Vegas deals with a generic cammie driver - MS Camcorder Driver - to deal with my XM2 to Vegas. It comes up as Camcorder #3. The cute part is that I've used "another" cammie and that comes up as #4!

Anyways - my 2 pennies worth of assistance.

Grazie
Old October 25th, 2003, 04:28 AM   #1389
Regular Crew

I have vegas 4 version d.

"just plug in Cammie and go to VidCap and off yer go"

Ohh, if it were so easy! I would be so glad.

I have done so, but it didn't work. The only thing which happens is that the text "Please connect a device" come's up.

So what is your advice?
Old October 25th, 2003, 05:49 AM   #1390
Old Boot

Hang on in There!

You've got your cammie connected to the f/w - yeah?

You need to set up a Cpature FOlder. In Cpature>Options>Preferences>Disk management set/create a folder. - I found you need a capture folder for this to happen. If you are PAL makes sure you don't have a minimum capture lengtht set up - yeah?

Don't worry yet, we'll get there. If we dry up with ideas here you've also got the Vegas forum here on the Vegas forum aAND the Sony Vegas Forum too! - It's gonna happen, IF you don't have something major wrong with your setup - but let's iron out some of the basic plug 'n play out of the way first - yeah?

So:

1 - Ensure your f/w is good to go

2 - You've got capture folders

3 - Try "Reconnect Device" in vidcap - yeah?

Regards,

Grazie
Old October 25th, 2003, 05:51 AM   #1391
Old Boot

. . . oh, do you see your cammie being recognised on your MY Computer info - I don't know XP well . . check to see if the XM2 is recognised . . .

G
Old October 25th, 2003, 07:06 AM   #1392
Sponsor: JET DV

Torsten,

The ONLY thing needed is to install Vegas (preferably 4.0d), connected a firewire camera/deck/convertor, and you are done. To capture from the firewire port, just open the video capture program via File - Capture Video.

If vidcap does NOT see the device, then something else is wrong with your system. First, what kind of firewire device do you have? What driver is being used? It helps to have a firewire device with the TI chipset AND use the Microsoft drivers.
Old October 25th, 2003, 09:39 AM   #1393
Major Player

When you plug your camera into firewire and turn it on, does your computer see it? XP should ask you, even if you aren't running vegas at the time, what program you would like to use. Also, I have found that I can't have my VX2000 connected to two outputs at the same time. ie vcr and firewire.

Don't get too frustrated yet. This is really an easy task to do, capturing, something minor is just being overlooked.
Old October 25th, 2003, 10:38 AM   #1394
Regular Crew

Shaky camera technique. Plug-in?

I'm looking for a way to make the video shake (seen on war movies). This is for a product demo/trailer. I'm using Vegas4.0b. Is there a plug-in that you can do this with?
www.riverlightstudios.com
DVX100/Final Cut Pro 4/Mac G5 Dual 1.8
Old October 25th, 2003, 05:44 PM   #1395
New Boot

GL2 not recognized in Vegas

Hi folks,

New Vegas user and I have a problem-wondering if anyone has seen this.

I have a Dell PC with a Creative Labs Audigy 2 sound card with a 1394 port. I plug in my GL2, it's recognized, and I can capture data with no problem. I also have an Adaptec 1394 board on this PC, and Vegas picks up the camera on that board as well. Thing is, that's NOT my intended editing PC.

I have a wiz-bang new Alienware PC with pretty much everything currently available(3.2 mhz, dual 10k Raptor's running SATA RAID0, 2GB of Corsair XMS memory, Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB video, etc) It has a Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS sound board, with an off board panel including a 1394 port.

I turn on the camera, it is recognized as a GL2 by XP, it asks if I want Vegas to control it, I say yes, and Vegas comes up. I go to the capture screen and get the blue screen, "please attach device" message.

This occurs under both Vegas 4.0b and the latest, 4.0d.

I moved over an Adaptec 1394 card I have in my Dell to the Alienware PC. Same thing. XP recognizes the came and opens up Vegas, but still no capture.

I am running the latest drivers of everything on my Alienware-motherboard chipsets, video and sound drivers-you name it.

Incidentally. I have everything in Vegas as default. I loaded Vegas on my Dell, and immediately connected the camera with no issue. Did the exact same thing on the Alienware-loaded Vegas and connected camera w/o changing settings.

I did try setting the Video Device tab to an OHCI compliant board just to try it-still nothing.

Has anyone ever seen this-where XP picks up the camera, but Vegas won't?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...