Vegas Video discussions from 2003 - Page 96 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old November 3rd, 2003, 10:36 AM   #1426
Regular Crew

Hardware Requirements for Vegas 4?

I'm currently running a 1.4Ghz P4. I'm looking to upgrade to a more capable NLE. My chief needs are for color correction, two video streams and decent sound manipulation capabilities.

I understand that Vegas probably give me the most value fo the $$ and I'm willing to go to a new video card to get some of the real time or near real time capabilities.

Is my processor going to hack it or do I need to get up closer to a 3Ghz machine?

Thanks
"Before they are gone forever..."
Old November 3rd, 2003, 10:55 AM   #1427
Sponsor: JET DV

Your system is MORE than capable of running Vegas. I'm currently running Vegas 4.0d on a PIII 750MHz computer and it performs fine. I've even installed it on a test machine that was a PII 300MHz and it still ran amazingly well (did NOT try capturing or printing to tape)

Vegas doesn't use any hardware to assist with speed so don't worry about changing any cards. All you need is an OHCI compliant firewire card for getting video in and out.
Old November 3rd, 2003, 08:25 PM   #1428
Major Player

Questions, rendering and importing

Now that I have had Vegas + DVD for a while I love it. I originally posted that I had just recieved it and was having problems. Part of the problem was me and part was ??
So here are my questions. Sometimes when I finish a project and save and then try to render it only renders a small portion of the video. (thus one of the problems of not getting all the footage to my DVD). I have to close Vegas, re-open it, and then it renders the entire video. Next, if you remember I was having problems with not getting the audio to DVD. Now that I am familiar with what goes on, I know to watch the audio file. Sometimes instead of getting the AC3 file in the audio slot, I get an mpg. file in it, I simply delete the mpg, open up the audio folder and import the correct file. When I was new to V4 + DVD this it gave me fits and thus my one nerve became somewhat frayed. Any idea on these 2 problems.

Last but not least does anyone have any good ideas on how to get cursive fonts.

Thanks
Donny

V4 4.0d
DVDArch 1.0c
Old November 3rd, 2003, 09:02 PM   #1429
Regular Crew

Be sure that you don't have a time selection or some tracks on solo.

If it isn't one of those, I can't imagine what it would be.
Old November 3rd, 2003, 09:04 PM   #1430
Rextilleon

I'm ashamed to say that I just completed a two hour documentary using Vegas on my Pentium 3 machine---Besides a couple of coughs and an occasional stall, it went pretty well.
Old November 3rd, 2003, 09:33 PM   #1431

For the first problem, When you choose Render As, UNCHECK the box that says "loop region only".

For the second problem, make sure the AC3 file is name EXACTLY the same as the MPG file. Also, make sure the MPG file did NOT contain an audio stream. This is very simple as the DVD Architect presets automatically have the audio turned off.
Old November 4th, 2003, 08:49 PM   #1432
Trustee

Is there anywhere on the Vegas interface to use a mouse click to select where to cut instead of using the "S" key on keyboard?
Old November 4th, 2003, 09:05 PM   #1433
Regular Crew

The mouse can be used to select the splitting point, as can any other transport controls such as arrows, space bar, enter etc.

To then perform the split with the mouse would be 3 steps - select tool or function / perform split / return to normal edit tool.
This was the Premiere method.

Using the "S" key reduces this to a single step.
Old November 4th, 2003, 09:32 PM   #1434

<<<-- Originally posted by Dave Largent : Is there anywhere on the Vegas interface to use a mouse click to select where to cut instead of using the "S" key on keyboard? -->>>

The mouse IS used to select WHERE to cut! The "S" DOES the cut.
Old November 6th, 2003, 02:17 AM   #1435
Regular Crew

Vegas vs FCP

I have a Mac G4/400 using FCP3. I'm thinking of serious upgrading. I'm even thinking of changing systems.

How do Vega and FCP compare?

Which has the superior workflow?

Functionality?

Feng Sui?

How's making DVDs?

Is your computer stable?

What systems do you have that work well?

Elmer?

PS Thanky
Old November 6th, 2003, 08:28 AM   #1436

Re: Vegas vs FCP

<<<-- Originally posted by Elmer Lang : I have a Mac G4/400 using FCP3. I'm thinking of serious upgrading. I'm even thinking of changing systems.

1. How do Vega and FCP compare?

2. Which has the superior workflow?

3. Functionality?

4. Feng Sui?

5. How's making DVDs?

6. Is your computer stable?

7. What systems do you have that work well?

Elmer?

PS Thanky -->>>

1. Both are professional level systems that can do a great job editing DV.

2. I believe Vegas does as you can do anything anywhere. The audio in Vegas is better than ANY other NLE. Also, Vegas is format agnositic meaning you can put ANY type of media on any track (naturally, audio clips on audio tracks and other media on video tracks).

3. Both are very functional. Not sure what you mean by this one.

5. Vegas+DVD does a great job making DVDs. There are currently some limitations to DVDA that I expect to be addressed in future versions.

6. Yes. Most stable NLE I've ever used.

7. I have run Vegas successfully on Win98se, WinMe, Win 2000, and WinXP.

Both products have their strengths and weaknesses. Having never used FCP, I do not feel qualified to do an accurate comparison between them.
Old November 6th, 2003, 09:47 AM   #1437
Major Player

Copying a DVD Architect DVD

I searched for this and did not see any topics on it. I created a DVD using V4 + DVD, erased the project and now want to create a copy using the original DVD I made. Can it be Done using V4 + DVD. I tried both V4 and DVD architect and neither would recognize the files listed on the drive with the disc in it.

question 2. If a person wanted to save his projects on a DVD for future use by V4 what type of file would you save them as so they could be retrieved?

3. What is the easiest way to get rid of old projects in V4 and DVD architect, I usually have to go deep inside the folders to erase Titles and projects, is there an easier way.

Thanks.
Old November 6th, 2003, 10:17 AM   #1438
Regular Crew

Any DVD burning software should be able to make a copy of the DVD+R. Just use something like Nero or RecordNow.
Old November 6th, 2003, 10:22 AM   #1439

If you WANT to use DVDA to burn the additional copies, just pull the Video_TS and Audio_TS back into the build folder and tell DVDA to "burn only" and point it to that folder.
Old November 6th, 2003, 08:06 PM   #1440
Inner Circle

Audio meters in Vegas

Ok the peak indicator (the numbers that indicate the highest volume) of the audio meters in Vegas will CHANGE depending on where you start playing from. WTF?

Secondly, when a I apply audio compression with auto gain compensation to a track it causes clipping to occur. I tried not using auto gain and rendering to a new track and normalizing that new file. Sometimes there's still clipping. Isn't this stupid? Am I doing something wrong?

Running a celeron733 with a bad motherboard. 256MB of RAM. Vegas 4.0c and win98(SE?). Maybe it's a performance issue?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...