What's the best training material for Vegas? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 28th, 2006, 10:23 PM   #16
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Coleman
TI'm also going to take a look at Edward's newsletters (I haven't figured out where to find them yet, but I'll look around on my own before I ask that question).
The link is in my signature :-)
Glad you found them and hope they're useful to you.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 07:05 PM   #17
Major Player

Vegas Editing Workshop was a godsend for me...I am not exagerating when I tell you that it changed my life for the better! Very well put together and will take you far enough in to allow you to discover the rest (more or less) on your own.
Daniel Runyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 08:15 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Thanks for the input. My copy of "Vegas 6 Editing Workshop" is on its way - I'm looking forward to reading it and learning the program. In the meantime, I have printed out Edward's newsletters. Looks like there's a lot of good material in them.
Ron Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 07:13 AM   #19

Ron, I think you'll learn a lot from the book and the newsletters. Feel free to ask questions here as well.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 06:12 PM   #20
Regular Crew

I'm about halfway through the second chapter of "Vegas 6 Editing Workshop". So far, it's mostly just explanations of different menus options and features, similar to what can be found in the manual. That really isn't what I consider "step-by-step tutorials".
Old March 12th, 2006, 06:38 PM   #21
Major Player

Dude, you've barely cracked the cover.
Daniel Runyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 07:07 PM   #22
Inner Circle

If you've got a (really) high speed connection, Sony has some (219 MB.!!) sample projects on their site at http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/dow...p2.asp?DID=583

Mike
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 07:37 PM   #23

Quote:
I'm about halfway through the second chapter of "Vegas 6 Editing Workshop". So far, it's mostly just explanations of different menus options and features, similar to what can be found in the manual. That really isn't what I consider "step-by-step tutorials".
There are nearly 100 tutorial veg files, with roughly 3 dozen of them specifically referenced in the book. The first part of the book is getting Vegas set up correctly, understanding digital video, and understanding the computer part of editing. The chapters about specific tools all reference veg files, and there are specific tutorials as well. If you want JUST tutorials with no background as to why things happen the way they happen, then Instant Vegas would have been a better and cheaper choice. It just covers "to achieve this, do this" and doesn't explain anything at all about the "why" that you're doing what you're doing.
Additionally, on the DVD in the back of the book, there are a lot of tutorials not found in the print segments of the book. As mentioned in the foreward, the book had a paper budget, and there was a lot more I wanted to say. So, there are many tutorials on the DVD as well.

sorry to hear you're not necessarily happy with the book, Ron. Send it back to whomever you purchased it from, and ask for a refund. In all honesty, you're the first I've ever heard of unhappy with the book. I'm sure there are a few others, but you'd be the first I've heard from.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 08:38 PM   #24
Regular Crew

No need to be defensive about it, Douglas. I'm reserving judgement until I get farther into the book. It's too early to say whether I'm happy or unhappy with it.

I realize there are some sample videos on the DVD - I copied them onto my hard drive when I got started - but so far nothing in the book has called for using them. Maybe that will change as I get farther into the book - I guess I'll find out. It would just be a lot more helpful if you explained the features of the program in the context of actual examples that were tied to the sample files on the DVD - something along the lines of the "Classroom in a Book" series.
Old March 12th, 2006, 09:26 PM   #25
Major Player

Ron wrote:

>>>>I'm reserving judgment until I get farther into the book. It's too early to say whether I'm happy or unhappy with it.>>>>

Please consider a page by page update. The anticipation is just too great.

Seriously though, the benefits from any resource, be they DVInfo, Vegas 6 Editing Workshop, or anything else available is only what you yourself make of it.

If need be, try the index near the front of the book and go to a specific section of interest. Claiming this comprehensive treatise is not "Classroom in a Book" is almost like criticizing Vegas for not handling spreadsheets as well as Excel.

Brian
Brian Mitchell Warshawsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 01:42 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Mitchell Warshawsky
Claiming this comprehensive treatise is not "Classroom in a Book" is almost like criticizing Vegas for not handling spreadsheets as well as Excel.
Brian
Maybe that's the problem - I'm looking for training material, not a treatise. I didn't say it was a bad book; it just doesn't have as much hands-on training (i.e., actual exercises I can use to learn the program) as I was looking for.

What I'm looking for is really pretty simple - a book that is structured like a class, where I get to actually practice what I'm learning, not just read about it. Something like Adobe's "Classroom in a Book" series.
Old March 14th, 2006, 01:18 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Ron,
I think you're right, your looking for more than a "self teach" reference. Spot mentioned his task oriented book (Instant Vegas 5) above as an alternative. I agree, you might be happier with that. However, consider the DVD's as they are more along the lines of "demonstration - performance" oriented and may be more helpful for those who like to learn by doing. Spot's books do have lots of "try this" exercises embedded in them but you do have to stop, load up the exercise .veg file, and follow along. Having tried much of the available training materials out there for Vegas (and Video Factory/Vegas Movie Studio), there is no better resource than the VASST site with their hundreds of tutorials, veg files, and top notch training materials. There are other sites that have good stuff on them too such as Spot mentioned in his earlier post. However, it's been my experience that I always end up coming back to VASST when I can't find how to do that bezier mask thing or how to use the parent/child techniques that I don't use that often. Of course, if I can't find it after doing my research, there's always these forum's. The Vegas users are the best resource in the world for support bar none! They are always there and someone has the answer or will actually do the work to help you find it. These are amazing people. The pro's who moderate these forums and author wonderful reference material are the best too. Imagine, being able to ask and have a conversation with a Grammy award winning musician, pro videographer, and world reknowned author about his work in real time. Nowhere but the Vegas community. I'd say that's pretty cool.
Happy editing.
Randy
Randy Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 06:33 PM   #28
Regular Crew

There's no question that this forum is a great source of information. I'll be sure to check out the VASST material when I get through with the book. I'm about a third of the way through it now - at the point where I'm starting to see some of those exercises that use the material on the DVD.
Old March 19th, 2006, 03:24 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Stewart
Having tried much of the available training materials out there for Vegas (and Video Factory/Vegas Movie Studio), there is no better resource than the VASST site with their hundreds of tutorials, veg files, and top notch training materials.

Spot's books do have lots of "try this" exercises embedded in them but you do have to stop, load up the exercise .veg file, and follow along.
Randy,
What about the "Vegas 6 Class on Demand" - can you give me any specifics about the contents? Also, what about the Sony Seminar material? What I'm trying to find out before I buy any of these packages is exactly what's in them - i.e., do they have lessons where I get to actually do something instead of just watching someone demonstrate it? What little I've been able to find in the way of demos for those packages doesn't tell whether there are any sample files to practice the material in the lessons.

I've asked these questions previously, but the answers I get are always something like "Class on Demand is good" or "You won't go wrong with..." instead of specifics about what's in them.

I can assure you I have the DVD from the "Vegas 6 Editing Workshop" loaded on my PC and I'm using the sample files as the book calls for them. However, most of the material is NOT tied to the DVD - I was about a third of the way through the book (p145 - a demo on keyframes) before I had the opportunity to use anything from the DVD. There are also a ton of mistakes - unfinished sections of material (see p161, which ends with "Neverless," and doesn't continue on the next page), exercises that don't match up with the DVD files (the "Compositing Envelope.veg" project referenced on p168).
Old March 19th, 2006, 06:30 AM   #30

Quote:
What about the "Vegas 6 Class on Demand" - can you give me any specifics about the contents? Also, what about the Sony Seminar material?
For details on the COD set, you can look here:
http://www.classondemand.net/classon...ompletev6.aspx
That page shows a complete list of topics covered on the DVD set.

Here's specific information on the seminar series:
http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/pro...D=993&SPID=373
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...