What's the best training material for Vegas? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 19th, 2006, 08:58 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Ron,
I don't own the Class on Demand DVD's or the Sony Semminar Series so I can't comment in depth on either. I have seen samples of each and have heard comments about them on various forums. The reviews are good but that doesn't help you with what you're searching for which, as you've said, is more actual project exercises that you can do to implement the technique just demonstrated or explained in the book or DVD, complete with source media. I understand what you are referring to relative to this learning method. It's the same as a collage course uses to determine if you have achieved an "understanding" level of the material presented through homework and testing. You get instruction (demonstration) and then have to prove you know it by doing it yourself (performance). What would be excellent is a workbook to accompany the DVD's or books for Vegas Training that has projects and exercises complete with media to practice each technique and command that Vegas is capable of doing. The products that I know about for a workbook like content are Sony's Digital Video and Audio Production http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/Pro...t.asp?PID=1003 and the Instant Vegas books and content (available from the VASST web site). I'm sure there are others out there that I just haven't had the opportunity to view/try. It would be great if we had a certification course for Vegas that we could get our hands on the training material to do as an on-line or computer based training self study. Hopefully, that will come soon. Right now, most of what we have is "instruction" or "seminar" that falls a little short of a classroom teaching experience complete with instructor, exercises, media, and student interaction. It comes close with the many training DVDs, books, available on-line tutorials, veg files, tips, scripts, source media, sample projects, huge forum support, and this great community so, right now, we have to pull it together to get that "classroom like" experience (my label not necessarily your objective). Lots of resources and folks out there ready to help. Hope you find what you are looking for. Make sure you post the source when you do.
Randy

Last edited by Randy Stewart; March 19th, 2006 at 09:40 AM.
Randy Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 06:58 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply, Randy. When I get finished with DSE's book, I'm probably going to take a chance on the Class on Demand. Videoguys are selling it for $119. Everyone else seems to be selling it for the $129 list price.

Edward Troxel's newsletters are really good, too. I put them together in a binder and I've started going through them. They are very well done - there are a lot of pictures that make it easy to follow the material.

Even though DSE's book isn't exactly what I was hoping for, it is still pretty good as far as getting an overview of the software and learning the basic features.
Ron Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 07:47 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Ron,
Most of the Vegas training resources out there are pretty good. Make sure you get the stuff that matches the version of Vegas that you have bought. Vegas has upgraded every year for the last few years and each new version (on 6d now) brings a wealth of new capability. Sometimes the older version training DVD's go on sale for that reason but they are still good for the basics. For me, I'm never disappointed with the best I can find especially if the price difference is only $10 or so dollars. Be sure to check around to see what all is out there (which I'm sure you're doing already). By the way, as I've said before, I'm partial to the VASST stuff and they have just posted their new DVD training series "Absolute Vegas" which looks very promising. As far as I know, they are the most receent (and up to date covering version 6d) training DVD's now available for Vegas. Good luck with your hunting. Happy editing!
Randy
Randy Stewart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...