What's the best training material for Vegas? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 26th, 2006, 05:51 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What's the best training for Vegas?

I just bought the Vegas 6 + DVD package and I'm looking for some training material - preferably something that has some lessons that include putting together an actual project, not just explanations of how different features work, like what's in the manual that comes with the program.

The Complete Training for Vegas 6 Class on Demand looks good from the description, but I haven't been able to find any demos that show what's in it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Ron Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 07:09 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Coleman
I just bought the Vegas 6 + DVD package and I'm looking for some training material - preferably something that has some lessons that include putting together an actual project, not just explanations of how different features work, like what's in the manual that comes with the program.

The Complete Training for Vegas 6 Class on Demand looks good from the description, but I haven't been able to find any demos that show what's in it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I knew nothing about video editing or Vegas and picked up DSE's book called "Vegas 6 Editing Workshop." That helped me out a great deal.
Old February 26th, 2006, 08:03 PM   #3
Wrangler

Hi Ron, and welcome!

There are several options for you. Would you first try doing a search within this particular forum? There are a few threads dealing with this, and if you'll type in something like "training DVDs" I think you'll find them. Links and all! :)
Old February 27th, 2006, 07:27 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks, Lorinda. I've done a search and reviewed some of the previous posts about training material. The Kleiner tutorials seem to get good reviews, but they are kind of pricey - $149 for each set (several sets for Vegas alone).

The Class on Demand is available for $119-129, but I haven't found anything specific to show what's in it. Is there anyone here who has seen it firsthand?
Old February 27th, 2006, 07:59 PM   #5
Wrangler

Are you a brand new Vegas user or upgrading? I have found the DVDs from VASST to be easy to understand and FASST. (to borrow their lingo) ;) But it's kind of geared toward the user who already knows his way around Vegas.

http://www.vasst.com/product.aspx?id...2-c5ad2ea5d3d4

Sorry, but the last Class On Demand DVDs I bought were done by DSE. They were darn good; now you'll find him at VASST.
Old February 27th, 2006, 08:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Coleman
Thanks, Lorinda. I've done a search and reviewed some of the previous posts about training material. The Kleiner tutorials seem to get good reviews, but they are kind of pricey - $149 for each set (several sets for Vegas alone).

The Class on Demand is available for $119-129, but I haven't found anything specific to show what's in it. Is there anyone here who has seen it firsthand?
The Class on Demand tools with Edward Troxel and Tim Duncan are quite good, there are the many books on Vegas from myself, Jeffrey Fisher, and Doug Sahlen.
The VASST site has over 2000 Vegas resources, many of them free tutorials. Edward has a grundle of tutorials on his website.
Videoguys has the widest overall selection of training materials, ask them what they like.
While checking out the Vegas Tools and Training product you might want to read this.

This forum and others like it are overall the best resource out there. I'd guess there are likely around 900 or so free Vegas tutorials between the VASST site, Edward's site, Sony, and a few variables here and there.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 01:22 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Lorinda,
I am new to Vegas, not upgrading. I've worked with some low-end editing programs and I was using the demo version of Premiere along with the Adobe Classroom-in-a-Book, but I decided to switch to Vegas. I'm looking for something that is not geared to someone who already knows his way around Vegas.

DSE - Thanks for pointing me to the VASST site. I'll take a look. I've read good things about some of your books, too, but it's really hard to decide without being able to see a sample of the product.
Old February 28th, 2006, 01:36 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Douglas,

I'm looking at the reviews of your "Vegas 6 Editing Workshop" on Amazon.com and they are all over the map. I might take a chance on it anyway, since it isn't expensive. I'm not opposed to buying some training material that costs around $100 or so, but I'm leery of buying something like that sight-unseen.

Is your book suitable for someone like me who has just started using Vegas?
Old February 28th, 2006, 08:34 AM   #9

Given that the original chapter one started out with "insert the installation disc and follow the installation prompts for Vegas...." I'd suggest it's good enough for beginners, yes.
Problem with some of the reviews is there are people that have never touched any kind of media app, but they'll buy Vegas, and wonder why there are industry terms included in Vegas and my book, terms they don't understand. The book doesn't have a glossary, because it was already over paper size budget. (if a book weighs too much, it costs a lot more to ship than allotted by the publisher)

Anyway, the book isn't written for someone who has never worked with video, media, DVD, Flash, whatever. If you've never said the word "recording" in your life, my book likely isn't for you. My "Instant Vegas 5" which still VERY Much applies to Vegas 6, is somewhat less intense, but it won't help you understand more about industry terms. I had one guy scream at me for the term "Ken Burns Effect" in the book, and it's a fairly well known term in our industry. He felt I should have gone into why it's called that and offered a listing of Burn's brothers films. Sigh...can't please em' all.

You can also pick up past editions of the book dirt cheap. It's in it's 4th edition, 9th printing, so there are a lot of them out there. Amazon has used Vegas 5 books for 15.00...
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 08:40 AM   #10
Sponsor: JET DV

Ron, you might also want to check you my newsletters. Beginning in the fourth issue is a "Beginner's Corner" series.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 10:49 AM   #11
Major Player

Ron Wrote:
"I've read good things about some of your books, too, but it's really hard to decide without being able to see a sample of the product."

Ron - There are samples available. Do yourself a favor and check out the online (and FREE) articles at the VASST site. You should find many subjects covered which provide an indicative sample of both the value of the information presented as well as the clear and concise "readability" of DSE's articles as well as those of the many other contributors.

If you simply must have a copy of the Editing Workshop in hand to see what it looks like, many bookstores carry this volume which is THE treatise on the subject.

The VASST site also provides many pro-level plugins/scripts at no charge in addition to their products. And no, I am not affiliated with them.

Ed Troxel's articles are likewise invaluable and his index is well organized if you are looking for specific "How To's".

Welcome aboard.

Brian
Brian Mitchell Warshawsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 12:33 PM   #12
Major Player

Ron,

I wrote you in a similar thread that I'd used Gary Kleiner's training materials and between DSE, Edward Troxel and Gary, you are sure to find something that fits. Edward and DSE are VERY active in this forum and so I feel like I owe them something for all the countless times they've answered someones question was something I needed or wanted to know the answer to also. I bought Gary's training videos, and Edward's Excalibur tool, so I guess the next training item or plug-in I buy will be from DSE just to show my respect for all his does in this community.

The point is, get some training, book, DVD, or personal instruction. It will shape your editing skills in ways you can't even fathom right now. You don't have to use every tool Vegas throws in there, but dang if it isn't nice knowing what they are and when the appropriate time to use them is during an edit.

Last edited by Patrick King; February 28th, 2006 at 07:59 PM.
Patrick King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 08:16 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the replies. I ordered DSE's "Vegas 6 Editing Workshop" from Amazon.com today.

I'm also going to take a look at Edward's newsletters (I haven't figured out where to find them yet, but I'll look around on my own before I ask that question).
Old February 28th, 2006, 08:18 PM   #14
Major Player

Ron,

Go to Edward Troxel's famous Vegas Scripting & Newsletter website.

The newsletter archive is at the top. Download them all and STUDY them. He packs alot into each one and I normally don't catch it all on the first read-thru. Truly great stuff for Vegas users.
Old February 28th, 2006, 09:28 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Thanks very much, Patrick. I'm looking at them now.
Ron Coleman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...