3d modeling at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 6th, 2006, 08:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

3d modeling

if i wanted to incorporate a 3d model into my project how do i do that..
Tom Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 10:24 PM   #2

Just render it out in your 3D modeling program as an uncompressed avi (for best quality), as a sequential PNG or TGA, or even as just plain ole' vanilla HDV, and drop it on the Vegas timeline.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 10:53 PM   #3
Regular Crew

any recommendations on programs...thanks for the response too
Old March 6th, 2006, 11:27 PM   #4
Wrangler

See the following:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=10609
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=58022

Threads on this topic are not very frequent around here. There are a lot of sites devoted to 3d modeling, but I don't have time to follow them anymore. One of the better ones is http://highend3d.com/
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 11:39 PM   #5
Regular Crew

hmm thanks boyd...i have been investigating and looks as it is a career in itself for a peice that is impressive...i probably will farm it out if i need it done. do you or anyone here use pre made models in a project. like say i want to incorporate a model of a car. is there a place i can go and download lets say a model of a truck and then incorporate it in my project. have the 3d model spinning and overlay it on my vid track. thats basically what i am trying to do
Old March 6th, 2006, 11:41 PM   #6

There are LOTS of 3ds models for download. Problem is, they're just shells/frames. You need an app to which you can import them and finish them off. On the cheap side, there is Ulead Cool 3D, which is incredibly powerful, but not fast. Especially not when rendering to HD.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 11:54 PM   #7
Wrangler

Yes, there are a lot of sources for models. For some reason, Poser has attracted quite a following. And aside for modeling people, it has been used for a lot of other things. I did a project last summer where they wanted Apache helicopters flying in formation like "Apocalypse Now". I found an inexpensive but very real looking poser model and imported it into Vue Infinite after animating the rotors in Poser. It looked real enough to fool people.

Check out DAZ: http://www.daz3d.com/shop.php?op=catmain&cat=1
And Renderosity: http://market.renderosity.com/
Old March 7th, 2006, 12:06 AM   #8
Regular Crew

ok i am dl ing poser right now am and going to give it a shot. i really just want to find a 3d animation i like make it an avi then bring it into my project...well see how this works
Old March 7th, 2006, 06:14 AM   #9
Trustee

Tim,
I've created a simple 3D car model as an AVI with Sketchup.
It's only about 5Mb.
Would you like me to try to email it to you?

Robin.
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 12:32 PM   #10
Regular Crew

yeah send it to me. i'd love to see it

turbotommmy@yahoo.com
Old March 7th, 2006, 12:33 PM   #11
Regular Crew

wow poser is really quite involved. seems like it'll take a little time to grasp this one.. mabye more involved than i am looking for. but isn't that another word for 3d, "involved"?
Old March 7th, 2006, 04:31 PM   #12
Wrangler

Any of the more powerful programs will have steep learning curves. But Poser, Bryce and Carrarra all were originally introduced by a company called "MetaCreations" which no longer exists. Since then the programs have changed hands through multiple companies. But they all still share the same strange user interface which looks like it might be part of technology developed from an alien spacecraft at Area 51 ;-)
Old March 8th, 2006, 09:27 AM   #13
Sponsor: VASST

If you just want to spin a car like a logo, Ulead Cool 3D Production Studio has the lowest learning curve and it will import 3DS files (from 3D Studio Max). You can find a model of a car from places like 3DCafe.com and then import it into Ulead and spin it. This is very simple to do.

I use Cinema 4D because it does not have as steep a learning curve as 3D Max and Maya. C4D gives you way more control than a simple program like Ulead Cool 3D. Spinning it is easy, but what’s even better is flying a camera around it. Cinema 4D allows you to draw a spline curve, attach a camera to it, and then the camera flies the curve with perfect movements. You can even target the car so no matter where you move the camera, it will keep facing the car. Very powerful and easy to use if you invest a few nights (no more than a week) going through the tutorials.

~jr
Old March 8th, 2006, 09:57 AM   #14
Regular Crew

thanks for the avi robin it played and looked cool. thanks guys for the suggestions i will keep trying these programs and see which one works best for me. I am not trying to create shrek movie but just something very very simple
Old March 8th, 2006, 10:30 AM   #15
Regular Crew

nice!!!! ulead was easy an is gonna work perfect for me. perfect...thanks a bunch
Tom Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...