flipped .avi video jagged playback - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 14th, 2006, 05:08 AM   #16
New Boot

dale,
meanwhile i did a small test on the footage.it goes like,
1.take a clip apply adam's flip and render to new track
playing back the track makes the video shimmer
2.now apply the same flip to the newly rendered track and render to .avi
surprisingly, the shimmer is gone (though the video is upsidedown). its like the video has some back to normal.

then i did the same test with pan/crop flip mechanisms discussed in previous posts, but the final video has shimmer.

umm...some thing is defnitely happening here.
i think its time i look at 'flipping the camera' mechanism
dale & Douglas, i appreciate your effort to help me out.

thank you very much.
krishna.
M. Krishna Babu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 08:15 AM   #17

No comment, I give up. Uncle.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 10:55 AM   #18
Major Player

Douglas, I waited all day for your input!

Please at least see one of my previous posts detailing a 'theory' that I have.

Regards,

Dale.
Dale Paterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2006, 09:03 AM   #19
Regular Crew

* when your project settings is interlaced, vegas will process it field-by field.

* when you flip a frame, the field order is also flipped. eg. odd become even and even become odd. To visualize this easily, just draw 2 lines. Once u flip it, the upper line becomes the lower line. Hence the field flipped. To overcome this, u must flip the frame, then shift the frame 1 pixel up or down. This will recorrect the field order.

* somehow, vegas flip the frame before outputing the fields to the encoder. Remember in 1 frame there are 2 fields. Actually, vegas should separate the fields first, flip them, then re-interlace the fields into 1 frame, then output to encoder.

* i think Krishna's media player is playing the avi file in 50 fields per second. That's why he sees it 'shimmer' back & forth. Some codec allows playing back in 50 field/sec, separating the field first for viewing. Some other codec plays back in 25 frames/sec, either discarding 1 field or displaying both fields in 1 frame.

* there are tools for field processing in virtualdub. You can reverse field order, or shift the fields 1/2 a frame, etc. Also in avisynth (& in most compositing app). In vegas, you may want to try intrepreting the DV file as upper field first or set the project as upperfieldfirst, or another workaround is to set the project as progressive & turn on reduce interlace flicker.

hope this clears something...
Hornady Setiawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 06:26 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Did someone say my name? :)

First off, what is your target medium for your video output? TV/DVD, or computer/internet?

If it is for TV, then burn a sample DVD, or print a sample to tape. Play it back on your TV. Does it look fine on the TV? Then you're all set.

If it is for computer, then your final render should NOT BE interlaced! Computers are progessive, not interlaced, so you really should be rendering it out as progressive footage. That's not to say that you need to loose any sharpness -- just render it as the full frame-per-second rate for your source (e.g., 29.97 for NTSC). That way the 2 fields are just stored as one frame. When you playback interlaced footage on your computer it's doing this anyways, but some media players don't do it so well.

Whether or not this will fix your problem I'm not sure, as I haven't seen this problem.

Also, don't trust Windows Media Player. It's got bad karma. I suggest the freely available VLC player at www.videolan.org.

Of course, you can always upgrade to a 24p capable video camera. :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...