Help Me Render!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 18th, 2006, 09:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Help Me Render!!!

Shooting off-road videos with SD helmet cams and HD from Sony HDR-HC1's, using Vegas 6. My newbie question is there are so many render options and all that I use seem to be less than the source DV tape quality. Also is it normal to have great picture on smaller tv's but on big screens it falls apart?
Fred Helm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 10:05 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Moved here from Open Discussion.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 10:52 AM   #3

Very common to have a great picture on small screens because you're squeezing things down, vs being closer to native.
You need to describe what the picture is doing.
If you're rendering in Vegas, you MUST use the HDV render templates.
If you're converting to SD in Vegas, you virtually MUST use an HDV timeline prior to converting.
More information about what you're doing and what you're wanting to do would be most helpful.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 10:52 AM   #4
Major Player

From what I've seen of my single chip dv footage, it looks great on a standard TV set, however, when viewed on a HDTV set, I feel like I'm watching a VCD at it's worse setting.

Of course we're talking 480i compared to 1080i for resolution.

I don't know what kind of halmet cam you have but the cheap ones I've checked out were pretty low in resolution. I wanted one for a bungie jumping I was going to do when I will be going on vacation to Korea this April.
I believe the Sony Vegas allows for upconverting a SD to HD format but not sure on the Vegas Movie Platnum version. Of course any upconverting still won't look as good as original HD footage.

Unless you're working in a professional production setting, I think the only available option is to render for HDV setting back to your camcorder.
John Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 01:26 PM   #5
Inner Circle

John - Is your HDTV an LCD or plasma display?
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 01:33 PM   #6
Major Player

It's a rear projection crt Hitachi 60".

I was looking at footage from my Cannon Z10 with the letterbox format and without.

I also took a look at some older DV footage from my JVC camcorder, which I think outdoes the Cannon Z10, for picture quality. I can't remember what model it is, but it was one of the first Mini-DV camcorders out. It doesn't even have a firewire port on the camcorder!
Old March 20th, 2006, 02:47 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kang
It's a rear projection crt Hitachi 60".
Please, let me know what model number of Hitachi has a 60" CRT. Rear projection and CRT cannot be used in the same product description.
Jon Omiatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 05:51 PM   #8
Major Player

The model number for my Hitachi is 57S715.
Old March 20th, 2006, 08:44 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
Very common to have a great picture on small screens because you're squeezing things down, vs being closer to native.
If you're converting to SD in Vegas, you virtually MUST use an HDV timeline prior to converting.
More information about what you're doing and what you're wanting to do would be most helpful.
Oh, Ok, im doing it now. Im using 720 line res bullets for helmet cams. Does it even matter how big and bad my comp is for these ridiculous render times? Im rendering 6 minutes of footage with allot of slow mo and its at 2 hours for render? Pent4 2gigs RAM...
Old March 20th, 2006, 09:15 PM   #10

Pentium is half the problem, unfortunately. Yes, that's quite possible, if you're doing slo mo, remember that there are a LOT of new frames to be built.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 10:24 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Thank you! There was so many options and I didnt feel like trying them all. Im shooting 720 line res bullet cams in race cars and course footage from Sony HDR-HC1's, my final product is good just not quite as sharp as the DV tape straight into composite ins on 60 inch HDTV. I know I dont have the camera to get crazy with, I just want the best bang for the customers buck so to speak?
Old March 20th, 2006, 10:31 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Pentium is half the problem, unfortunately. Yes, that's quite possible, if you're doing slo mo, remember that there are a LOT of new frames to be built.
Im having new PC built with ASUS dual engine and raid rack. My builder says maximum ram is not necessary and 2 gigs is more than enough even for HD. Is this true. I was unde the impression the more ram the better? (speed)
Old March 21st, 2006, 12:14 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Helm
Im shooting 720 line res bullet cams in race cars ?
sd typically can't handle anywhere near 720 lines of resolution... what brand and model of helmut cam are you using? is that 720 number just marketing speak from the makers of the helmut cams?

what i'm doing is waiting for the solid state hd cameras that record in the h.264 format... if you look on the hdv acquisition forum, sanyo has a solid state hd camera out now, but it records to mpeg4 instead of h.264.

hang in there for another year, and you'll be able to put a wide-angle lens on a solid state hd helmut cam, with no wires going down to a seperate recording deck.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 10:05 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Euritt
sd typically can't handle anywhere near 720 lines of resolution... what brand and model of helmut cam are you using? is that 720 number just marketing speak from the makers of the helmut cams?

what i'm doing is waiting for the solid state hd cameras that record in the h.264 format... if you look on the hdv acquisition forum, sanyo has a solid state hd camera out now, but it records to mpeg4 instead of h.264.

hang in there for another year, and you'll be able to put a wide-angle lens on a solid state hd helmut cam, with no wires going down to a seperate recording deck.
WOW! im using Viosport HC3's. The MPEG4 stuff is real bad, almost video phone quality..How much is this new wireless helmet cam? My business is helmet cam/In Car cams.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 09:45 AM   #15
Major Player

FRED,

We use sony lipstick cameras(540 lines, i am pretty sure) for onboard motorcycle racing. We have one mounted to the front of the bike and one on the rear. Each camera is connected to a mini-dv camera in the trunk of the bike.

We tried doing it wirelessly but the quality is no where near the same as going straight to the mini-dv camera.

Jon
Jon Omiatek is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...