Vegas Video discussions from 2002 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old May 23rd, 2002, 11:03 AM   #31
Slash Rules!

Oh sorry. I thought that was the film term for when you reverse the, uh, direction or orientation of the video. For instance, let's say you shot a close up of someone, and on the original footage, they're facing left, but you need them facing right. That's a flop.
Old May 23rd, 2002, 11:18 AM   #32

ahhh...

use the "event pan/crop" tool and drag one of the handles across the center and all the way to the opposite side. This will reverse the image either left/right or up/down depending on which handle you grab.

hope this helps
Old May 23rd, 2002, 03:21 PM   #33
Slash Rules!

Ahh. . .thank you sir. I bow to you.
Old June 12th, 2002, 04:53 PM   #34
vectorskink

Dropped frames in Vegas Video 3???

Hi there

I am having trouble capturing to a RAID 0 array on my new Abit AT7 motherboard. It drops frames left, right and centre when capturing to the RAID (which is two Maxtor 60GB Viper 7200rpm ATA133 drives), but captures perfectly when capturing on the system drive (one Maxtor 40GB Viper 7200rpm ATA133). The operating system is WinXP and have the RAID setup as hardware array (Highpoint). I am capturing from my Canon XM1 (PAL version of GL1).

Has anyone had this problem before, or might know what is going wrong???? One of the reasons for getting this board was for fast, reliable capture using the ATA133 RAID on this board :(

Thanks in advance

Tim
Australia

Old June 12th, 2002, 10:17 PM   #35

Many times, for a RAID array to work effectively, it has to be properly configured. One of the options that needs to be optimized is the block size defined when the array is formatted. Also, RAID arrays are not immune to other programs or hardware hogging bandwidth on the PCI bus. I suggest you get a disk speed testing program, like HDTACH, and run a test comparing your disk I/O thruput against the HD that's working correctly. More than likely, you'll find the RAID array's not up to reqmts for some reason.
Old July 23rd, 2002, 10:22 PM   #36
New Boot

SlowMotion in VV3

How do I slow a clip down/slow motion in Vegas Video 3?
Old July 24th, 2002, 06:59 AM   #37

position the cursor over the right edge of the clip and the cursor icon changes. CTRL/Rt Click/and drag to change the speed.
Old July 25th, 2002, 12:18 PM   #38
Sponsor: JET DV

Or....

Right-click the event, choose "Insert/Remove Velocity Envelope". This will add a blue line with a square on the left side. Right-click the square, choose "Set To..." and you can manually set any speed you desire from -100% (reverse) to 300% (3 times speed). Enter 50 for half speed. Afterwards, adjust the clip to the length you desire.

The advantage of this method is that you can have multiple blue squares in the clip so you can actually change the speed of the clip as the clip progresses (i.e. you could gradually go from full speed (100%) to freeze frame (0%).
Old July 25th, 2002, 12:39 PM   #39
New Boot

Thank you guys!
Old August 3rd, 2002, 07:21 AM   #40
Slash Rules!

Stop motion using Vegas Video 3

Okay, all. Follow me here. I have Vegas Video 3, and I'm embarking on the frustrating journey that is claymation. I'll be using my XL1s in interval recording mode to capture a half second for each separate image. I'm going with 15 images per second (2 frames long each).

I figure, using this method, I can capture two frames from every image, or capture the tape and edit each image down to two frames after breaking it up into clips. Either way will take forever. I was thinking of just capturing the tape, breaking the scenes up, and then speeding up the footage until it's at the speed it would be at if I'd only shot 2 frames for each image. I can't see why this wouldn't work. If I speed it up by 7.5x (750%?) This should work, going from 15 frames per image to 2. Is this right?
Old August 3rd, 2002, 07:36 AM   #41

Be sure to select "RESAMPLE" before you render.
Old September 2nd, 2002, 03:11 AM   #42
Slash Rules!

I did a test shoot using the above described method, and found that in Vegas Video, you can only speed up the video (using the event envelope) to 300%. I'm going to need more than twice that, and even more if I can't figure out how to get the damn interval record mode to work. Is there another way to speed the video up more?

The only thing I can think of is to speed it up to 300%, output to minidv, reimport it speed it up again, etc. until the desired speed is reached. Should only have to do this once, though, right? (300% X 2.3333333333333333333 = 750 percent (7.5x). Still, a lot of trouble. Any other way?
Old September 3rd, 2002, 03:18 PM   #43
Sponsor: JET DV

You actually have multiple methods of speed-up. The BASE speedup can be up to 12X. Here's how:

1) CTRL-drag the end of the clip to change its speed.

(or right-click it, choose properties, and modify the playback rate)

Using this method, you can speed up the clip up to 4X

2) Use the velocity envelope to speed the clip up to 3X.

By combining the two, you can get up to 12X. To get 7.5X, just set the properties playback rate to 3X and and the velocity envelope to 2.5X. That should give you the results you need.
Old September 3rd, 2002, 08:21 PM   #44
Slash Rules!

Much appreciated sir. The manual's useless in that regard. . .I remember reading that "one of the methods used to change the velocity of a clip is the velocity envelope" and it never mentioned what the others were!
Old September 4th, 2002, 05:32 AM   #45

"The [Vegas Video] manual's useless in that regard. . .I remember reading that "one of the methods used to change the velocity of a clip is the velocity envelope" and it never mentioned what the others were!"

You're right, Josh. As much as I like VV 3.0, the manual is just about useless. Why is it so cotton-pickin' hard for software manufacturers (and some equipment makers) to write comprehensive manuals???
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...