Vegas Video discussions from 2002 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old September 4th, 2002, 01:14 PM   #46
Sponsor: JET DV

While I agree the manual could be improved, these methods ARE mentioned in the manual. Yes, they could be better organized but they ARE there. The pages listed below are the PDF page numbers.

The velocity envelope is discussed in full beginning on page 159.

The "Time Stretching" (as it is called in the manual) - i.e. the CTRL-drag - is given an overview on pages 138 & 139.

The "Playback Rate" in the Properties dialog is discussed on page 155.
Old September 4th, 2002, 01:21 PM   #47

Perhaps there are some people unaware that there is a seperate manual available from SoFo that is pretty inclusive. The manual that comes with the software is pretty worthless except to get you started. The HELP function provided with VV3 is, also, very useful.
Old September 4th, 2002, 02:55 PM   #48
Slash Rules!

Where is this other manual available?
Old September 4th, 2002, 03:02 PM   #49

http://www.sonicfoundry.com/products/NewShowProduct.asp?PID=686
Old September 4th, 2002, 03:56 PM   #50
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

i would think that a "macro" could be written that once you had the clips in VV time line it would pull 2 frames out of each 2 second clips. or pull 2 frames and delete the next 58.

you might post your question over on the VV board. there is a person over there that does come up with "marco" answers for these kind of things ( delete every other frame .. then double each remaining frame )
Old September 4th, 2002, 05:59 PM   #51
Slash Rules!

I'm sorry. . .not to sound stupid: a macro is a tiny program or plugin that can be integrated into the software? I'm unfamiliar with the term.
Old September 5th, 2002, 07:38 AM   #52
Miles J.

Vegas Video, next version

1 - Does anyone have any info on when the next version of Vegas Video might come our way?

2 - What features are they working on?

3 - Which hardware product(s) might the next version possibly be bundled with?

I'm doing research on getting video technology for my company over the next 3-6 months and this product looks very promising. FYI we've pretty much ruled out Premiere, sorry, we have Photoshop and while it's a very powerful program, we use only about 10% of its potential thanks to Adobe's continued insistence on making PSP as cryptic and difficult to use as possible and we fear that Premiere might be the same way (I certainly don't mean to start a debate here, just stating what has been our experience for the past 4 versions of PSP, we think that power does NOT have to equate ridiculous learning curve in software.) Anyway, no one here has the time resources or the patience to deal with that...

Thanks a bunch for your help.

Miles

Old September 5th, 2002, 07:58 AM   #53
Major Player

not advocating anything!

BUT..... yes photoshop is cryptic as anything, but has become a lot easier to use.

Premiere on the other hand is so intuitive it is amazing. I have used many forms of avid, including the latest dv express 3.5, final cut pro up to latest version as well as vegas.

To be honest the easier, and most intuitive was Premiere.

I am not trying to change your decision, but the learning curve in Premiere is nothing like photoshop at all.

I want to ask you, if you have used Final Cut Pro, which many people consider the absolute standard, well Premiere was designed by the same person, and for me, i just fell into it with no problems and after about 4 weeks had exploited every single feature it had to offer.

kermie

ps. also one nice thing about premiere is the massive amount of supported hardware and basic support, version updates and plugins available.
Old September 5th, 2002, 08:41 AM   #54

I've long abandoned Premier for VV3 and I love it. I'll be at the VAST workshop in Denver on Sept 17th. Hope to find out more about VV4 at that time.
Old September 5th, 2002, 10:40 AM   #55

Yes, if you are going to use vegas, download and read the large PDF manual. It's about 350 pages of wonderful information including the references I mentioned earlier.

As for the Macro, it is basically a series of keypresses that can be activated by just pressing a couple of keys. There are many macro programs available on the internet. You start the macro program "recording", do a key sequence, and then define a specific keypress to activate that key sequence. Then that key sequence can be used repeatedly very quickly.

An alternative to a macro program is a device such as the Contour ShuttlePro. It will let you define macros for the buttons on the hardware device. I've heard it is a great device to use with VV but have not yet tried it myself.
Old September 5th, 2002, 10:57 AM   #56

Personally, I found Premiere was NO WHERE NEAR as intuitive as Vegas Video. Trying to figure out how to do a simple 3 camera edit was next to impossible with Premiere and possible without even looking at the manual in VV. In my opinion, VV wins hands down.

As for the new version of VV - no official announcement has been made concerning either the release date or features to be added/improved. A listing in a financial report indicated early 2003 as a possible release date. I would look for a new version in about 6 to 9 months.
Old September 5th, 2002, 11:13 AM   #57

Ed, you made it sound as though there was another manual in addition to the "free" pdf file available for download.

Based on my experience with that particular manual, I'm having a really hard time referring to its contents as "wonderful."
Old September 5th, 2002, 11:16 AM   #58

If people were to read these posts more carefully...*sigh*...
anyway...there is a 350 PAGE manual available ...not for free...and very all inclusive..."wonderful" is a good adjective.
Old September 5th, 2002, 11:57 AM   #59

Bill, I did read the post, thank you very much. He referred to the manual in a pdf file which IS free and available for downloading. The sprial bound version, based on what the site says, is the same manual. Ed's post made it sound like there was another--separate--manual. Not all us here profess to know everything.
Old September 5th, 2002, 12:33 PM   #60

Jay...

Sorry, I can be a little caustic. If you go to the website I provided above in this thread, you'll see a manual that's $29.95. That's the one to get....forget the free one...you get what you pay for.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...