Vegas Video discussions from 2002 - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old September 20th, 2002, 09:02 AM   #76
Major Player

compositer...

from what i can understand, this type of action you ar describing should really be done in a compositer...

That is what they are made for, whilst doing these in a video editing program may work it will not give you the flexability and advtanges of full control.

Adobe after effects is a great and simple one to use, if you are more inclined combustion works well too.

If you have a spare $18,000 apples 'shake' for pc and (s)mac(k)
is about the best you can get.

kermie
Old September 20th, 2002, 09:15 AM   #77

Kermie...

You're apparently not experienced with the latest technology. Vegas Video is a sign of things to come. No more hassles with the kind of problems associated with Adobe. Sure, if you can afford a mega-buck compositing program, go for it. If not Vegas Video is the best solution on the market. The compositing features of VV3 are unbeatably easy. I used to use premiere and AE, but, nevr again. They cost too much and are too difficult to use. Just my opinion.
Old September 20th, 2002, 10:45 AM   #78
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

1) use the pan/crop to select the area that you want in the final framing (don't worry about the size just the area you want to select) .
you might have to unlock aspect ratio ( maybe not) ...

2) now use the TRACK MOTION to set the image SIZE and where you want place it in the frame (you might have to unlock aspect ratio )
track motion will also allow you to move it across the frame by setting keyframes. so the image can move from left to right etc
in track motion you grab the darken area and move it LEFT till the image is not longer on the screen ( set key frame - there's a small time line in the track motion window) ) - now move darken area to right and the image will move screen right ( set key frame ) ... how fast -slow you want it to move will depend on how much time is between the 2 key frames.

if you want this clip to be on top of another clip then it will be the 1st Video track

this method will give you a basic square/rectangle type outline around subject ... if you want to attempt a outline around person then !! you'll have to try creating a matt or high contrast outline.
Old September 20th, 2002, 12:58 PM   #79
Sponsor: JET DV

I agree with donatello. You have to use BOTH controls: Event Pan/Crop for cropping and Track Motion for sizing/movement. Vegas is very powerful once you understand how it works.

Also, look at keyframes so you can make things move/grow/shrink. The manual covers Pan/Crop, Track Motion, and keyframes very well.
Old September 20th, 2002, 04:00 PM   #80
Slash Rules!

All right sirs. . .I see. I assumed track motion had to do with an entire track of video or audio. I will try this new formula. Thanks for the help.
Old September 23rd, 2002, 11:34 AM   #81
New Boot

film effects in Vegas Video

I have the Vegas plugin which lets you use film grain effects. Is there a plugin for VEgas which gives you the simulated dust particles and scratches on old film? Of what software would I need for such a plugin.

I also have Premiere 6 but no After Effects, so does this rule out the CINELOOK option, if that has such a feature. Also got PINNACLE STUDIO 7, but no plugins.
Old September 23rd, 2002, 12:38 PM   #82
Slash Rules!

My copy of Vegas Video has "Sonic Foundry Film effects." You can tint the film, select how much of the "particles" you want, and the type of particle (hair, scratches, grain, dust, etc.). If you wanted both grain and scratches, you can just add the effect to your clip(s) twice.
Old September 23rd, 2002, 02:41 PM   #83
Regular Crew

I'm with Josh. My film plugin has all those abilities and more
Old September 23rd, 2002, 02:50 PM   #84

Agreed, all of the effects are there - just not necessarily apparent at first. Play around with the control and you will find the additional options. Also, read the help file concerning that control. The options you want are there. You just have to find them.
Old September 23rd, 2002, 02:53 PM   #85

Track Motion DOES affect the entire track. However, you can fine tune sections by using keyframes. Track Motion is a very powerful feature but you MUST use keyframes to get that power. If all you wanted was a pip in a small area, you could get by without keyframes. Otherwise, you need keyframes to reach the full power of Track Motion. BUT, You DO have to be careful when you have multiple clips on a single track when you use Track Motion.
Old September 23rd, 2002, 05:39 PM   #86
Slash Rules!

Yeah, I tried it right after my last post. I'll tweak it when it's time to output. Thanks for the advice.
Old September 24th, 2002, 03:32 AM   #87
New Boot

effects

Yes I have found the film effects plugin now. It was well concealed! Very good feature indeed. Many thanks, just what I wanted. Looks quite convincing as well....
Old September 24th, 2002, 03:41 AM   #88
Slash Rules!

Also might want to play with color balance/color curves, as well as brightness and contrast.
Old September 28th, 2002, 01:10 AM   #89
Slash Rules!

AVI2 and Vegas Video and Virtual Dub

I don't really know about this stuff, so bear with me. In Vegas Video 3, under the general preferences, there is an option to "strictly adhere to AVI2 specifications." On, I believe, all of my projects, this box is not checked. What does that mean, exactly. If I go into one of these projects and check the box, will anything change, or do I have to do this before I start capturing footage?

The reason I ask is because there is a program called virtual dub that de-interlaces, among other things, but it won't work with AVI files, only AVI2 (several others, but AVI2 is what I'm concerned with).

I'd like to try it out, and I want to know if I need to recapature footage with that AVI2 preference activated, or what.
Old September 29th, 2002, 01:40 PM   #90

I believe that setting ONLY affects RENDERED avi's - not captured. Do the captured avi's work with VirtualDub? I have never used VirtualDub as Vegas does everything I need - including de-interlacing.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...