Vegas Video discussions from 2002 - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old September 29th, 2002, 02:13 PM   #91
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

i know that the VV v 2h capture utility allows you the choice to capture as type 1 or 2. i still have it on my computer for that reason ... the captured files do work with VV3
Old September 29th, 2002, 07:08 PM   #92
Major Player

Vegas video 3 effect question

I have already made several short creations with vv3 and it is great. But a very simple effect eludes me. I am trying to place text over video, like placing someones name below them as they speak. I have been all through text and media but can't seem to get a transparent background. I get the effect in the video but I can't get text only no background, any help would be appreciated.
thanks
Old September 29th, 2002, 08:45 PM   #93
Regular Crew

Very easy .......just put the title in a new video track over the track where video is..... If you don't know how create a new video track, just need make a right click over the timeline....

Blue
Old September 29th, 2002, 11:47 PM   #94
Slash Rules!

How do you set it to capture type 2. . .? Also, it SEEMS that on Virtual Dub, there is a way to change the framerate of incoming footage. Maybe I'm reading the program wrong. Under Video/Frame rate, there's an option to change the frame rate of source video. Does this mean you could bring 60i video in at 24fps, or am I retarded? If it did bring it in at 24fps, would it slow it down to that frame rate, or actually remove six frames per second?
Old September 30th, 2002, 02:58 AM   #95
Major Player

Simple problem that I made hard. I didn't understand that the checkerboard background was transparent.
Thanks for the help.
Don
Old September 30th, 2002, 08:11 AM   #96
Regular Crew

Video Vegas 3.0 Question

I am seeing alot of positive responses regarding Video Vegas 3.0. It sounds like an excellent program. I was wondering if it is possible to import music from a CD in your CD ROM Drive onto your footage from the Canon XLS-1?
Old September 30th, 2002, 09:14 AM   #97
Major Player

I am an amatuer at vegas video and I was able to do that the first day ( I have had it for 9 days now). The screen view is a timeline up top with windows you can open in the bottom (you can also drag top and bottom around to make one bigger than the other). I keep the master volume, the preview screen, the text generator and the media pool open. The media pool is an area to bring in pieces that you may drag to the timeline to create the audio and video track. On top of the media pool window are icons for CD, camera, and computer, etc., which let you download from those areas into the media pool. I scanned the front of the vegas video book on my flatbed scanner and put it in easily. When you open up cd it recognizes how many tracks are on the cd, you highlight which ones you want, and it downloads it into the media pool. This program is very easy and is loaded with features ( and unlike pinnacle studio they all actually work). I have a very short piece where I made an opening with music and credits, I really didn't have anything for content so I did a TV out of the nascar 2002 game and used it. Scrolling credits were to fast and I finally found the velocity envelopes to slow it down, made credits at the end and everything, fades, wipes, fade music, so easy that it allows your creative side to come alive rather than tasking your technical side.
Old September 30th, 2002, 10:08 AM   #98
Inner Circle

Tom, Vegas has complete multitrack recording and editing features for Audio. It has built in CD ripping tools (really fast too). This in addition to great effects tools. Supports up to 24/96 audio, but doesn't yet support surround mixing (Acid Pro 4 does).
If you have SoundForge, you can use it as a audio editing/recording plugin for Vegas too. Sofo products all seem to work together well, with a simialr look and feel. If you know one, you know most of the rest of them.
Old September 30th, 2002, 11:46 AM   #99
Regular Crew

Todd: I've about 5 years using Premiere, and in my opinion Vegas 3.0 is far better than Premiere; it's a very powerfull and stable NLE. I have about 5 months using Vegas 3 (6 hours per day) and never got a crash.

The only area where Premiere has advantage over Vegas is in the number of plug-ins available. For me that is a minor advantage 'cause I use AE or similar composers for compositing and FX.....
Old September 30th, 2002, 03:28 PM   #100
Sponsor: JET DV

To "slow down" scrolling credits, you do NOT need to use the velocity envelope. What you need to do is specify how long you want the credits to run. In the upper right hand corner of the editing box, there is a time display that will show something like 00:00:10;00 - This would specify the roll is to last for 10 seconds. If you want it to last one minute instead, change it to 00:01:00;00.

Once you have changed the time in the box, you now need to extend the event to that length. Once you have reached that length, there is a small triangle indicating that point and it will snap to that location. Now, the scroll will last for the new specified length of time.
Old September 30th, 2002, 04:50 PM   #101
Regular Crew

Everyone has been very helpful on this subject. Thank you all so much for your time. You have made my decision very easy in choosing a NLE program.
Old October 1st, 2002, 03:01 PM   #102
Inner Circle

I may be wrong, but I think AVI type 2 are avi files that can exceed the 4gb file size of the original avi spec. I know there may be more to it, but thats at least one of the differences.
avi2 is the default uner win2k and xp when capturing (assuming you are using ntfs, not fat32). Surprisingly, from what I've heard, AE still doesn't support avi type 2 files. Has that changed recently? does Quicktime still have a 4gig limit?
Old October 1st, 2002, 03:08 PM   #103
Slash Rules!

I'm a caveman, and I still use Win 98. Can I work with AVI2 under this OS?
Old October 1st, 2002, 04:11 PM   #104
Warden

Quicktime has a 2gig limit on FAT32 systems.

Jeff
Old October 5th, 2002, 05:02 PM   #105
Regular Crew

Video Vegas 3.0 question

I was wondering if it is possible to eliminate background noise with Video Vegas? I taped some footage with my Canon XLS-1 and I notice there was some background noise during a speaking part. Can the background noise be eliminated?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...