DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Rendering in Compressed Formats? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/63948-rendering-compressed-formats.html)

Alex Thames March 29th, 2006 06:28 PM

Rendering in Compressed Formats?

Does anyone know how I would use Vegas 6.0d to render my finished video project as a compressed format? I would like a compressed video format (not sure what format this would be) with compressed audio format (.mp3 instead of uncompressed PCM) in say, an .avi container.

Douglas Spotted Eagle March 29th, 2006 06:33 PM

Vegas uses the DV output format as a primary output. You could render a more highly compressed .avi, and render an MP3 audio file, but you'll need to use another software to mux them, since Vegas won't do this for you.
What is your end goal?

Alex Thames March 29th, 2006 08:15 PM

What does mux mean? My end goal is to have a file that is still nearly the same video and audio quality as seen in Vegas, but not have that file be enormous. I once rendered a 7 min video project in .avi with uncompressed PCM audio, and it came out to be around 1gb (a little more). A .mov rendering of the same 7 min project was almost 20gb, so big that it couldn't even play without lagging on my computer with Quicktime Player.

The project I'm working on now is 2.5 hours long. I would like to render it as an .avi, but have the end product compressed (so .mp3 for audio, and a compressed video format - not sure what format that would be? Fill me in). I'm looking for a file size of around 1 to 1.5gb.

Edward Troxel March 29th, 2006 09:18 PM

You really still haven't given your end goal. Standard DV-AVI is about 13gig/hour. That's simply how large it is. If you want to go to DVD (which can hold about 4.3 Gig) then, naturally, a two hour video (originally 26 Gig) will have to be compressed. DVDs are MPEG2 format.

If you're wanting to put it on the internet, you might look at WMV for your output format. Plus, the current versions of Vegas can output to MPEG4 format as well.

There's many formats available that are more highly compressed than DV. What is your end goal for these files you're wanting to compress?

Alex Thames March 29th, 2006 09:48 PM

Well, mostly I just wanted a smaller file to save on my harddrive and that's pretty much it. I want to play/watch it using players such as Winamp, GOM, DivX, or whatever. Eventually, I may want to split up the file into a few segments and burn them onto several CDs, and maybe even turn it into a DVD.

Also, how do I do the MPEG4 output? I have Vegas 6.0d, but when I go to Render As, the only options I see are:
(screenshot here): http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/9513/renderas9dp.jpg

Mike Kujbida March 30th, 2006 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Thames
Also, how do I do the MPEG4 output? I have Vegas 6.0d, but when I go to Render As, the only options I see are:
(screenshot here): http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/9513/renderas9dp.jpg

Go further down the "Save as type" list and you'll see Sony AVC/AAC (*.mp4).
That's the MPEG4 option. Select Custom - Video for even more options.

Mike

Patrick King March 30th, 2006 05:49 AM

The MainConcept AVC/AAC (.mp4) option is MPEG4 also.

Mike Kujbida March 30th, 2006 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick King
The MainConcept AVC/AAC (.mp4) option is MPEG4 also.

Thanks Patrick. I completely missed that :-)
Any idea if one is better than the other?

Alex Thames March 30th, 2006 03:00 PM

Oh okay, thanks, I was under the impression that .mp4 and .mpeg4 were different. On the topic, what about .mpeg4 versus .mpg4 - any difference?

Edward Troxel March 30th, 2006 03:18 PM

MP4, MPG4, and MPEG4 are all different abbreviations for MPEG4.

Alex Thames March 30th, 2006 04:34 PM

Thanks, but my question is still here: how do I get a compressed file?

It seems Vegas does not have the capabilities to render as a compressed format, so third party software must be used? Is that right?

How would I go about doing that? I would like .mp3 compressed audio, and either .mpeg2 (for DVD) or .mpeg4 (what would this format be good for?) for video.

I'm confused because when I go to Render As and choose .mpeg2, it says:
Audio: None
Video: 29.97 fps, 720x480
Use this setting to create an NTSC video-only MPEG-2 file compatible with DVD Architect.

Why is there no audio when choosing .mpeg2?

And when I choose .mp4, it says:
Audio: 128 Kbps, 48,000 Hz, AAC.
Video: 512 Kbps, 29.970 fps, 320x240

I have no idea what that means, can someone tell me what format that would get the video and audio into (choosing .mp4)?

Douglas Spotted Eagle March 30th, 2006 05:10 PM

File>Render As>then choose WMV, REAL, MP4, or QT. You can then choose the bitrate. They are all capable of heavy or light compression, you determine the bitrate in those dialog boxes.

Edward Troxel March 30th, 2006 09:13 PM

Quote:

Why is there no audio when choosing .mpeg2?

The DVD Architect presets assume you will be rendering the audio as AC3 and giving both the MPEG2 and AC3 file to DVDA. Therefore, the audio has been "turned off". You can easily turn it back on by going to the audio tab in the MPEG2 custom settings.

Dionyssios Chalkias March 31st, 2006 02:23 AM

Quote:

Well, mostly I just wanted a smaller file to save on my harddrive and that's pretty much it. I want to play/watch it using players such as Winamp, GOM, DivX, or whatever. Eventually, I may want to split up the file into a few segments and burn them onto several CDs, and maybe even turn it into a DVD.

Well, the best procedure is editing in DV-AVI format: the one provided by your cam. After editing you can output either to
1. MPEG2 for authoring and burning Video DVDs or to
2. WMV, AVI (using Divx, Xvid or other codecs installed on your Windows system), MP4 (yes the Mainconcept H.264 codec is much more potent and configurable than the Sony PSP optimized one), or other compressed format (you don't have to worry about compressing the sound separetely).

Just stick with DV-AVI for editing (and storing either back to tape or to hard drive). Only use the compressed formats for output/distribution, never for editing - unless you don't have the choice.

Alex Thames March 31st, 2006 03:29 AM

Of course. I'm using footage directly captured from my camera for editing (DV-AVI). But when I render a .avi, it still comes out huge, I guess around 13gb/hour. How do I render as a smaller .avi? Can the bitrate be adjusted for .avi as well, like the WMV, REAL, MP4, or QT formats Douglas mentioned?