multi cam angles - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 27th, 2006, 10:10 PM   #16
Major Player

Jacob, this thread is about shooting footage with multiple cameras simutaneously, and switching from one to another.
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 07:37 AM   #17
New Boot

ahh ok srry then
Jacob Eirckson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 10:39 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Any Thing New in Vegas 7 on the Multi Cam Front ?

I am messing with PPro 2.0's Multi Cam function, and I also now have Vegas 7. Is there anything new on the multi camera editing front in 7 ?
Old October 20th, 2006, 11:20 AM   #19
Sponsor: JET DV

Multi-cam in Vegas 7 is the same as in Vegas 6.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 11:44 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
I agree. Was just pointing out the manual methods. With the available plugin options, I don't think any NLE can touch Vegas' ability at multi-cam.

FCP 5.1.2 beats it all day
Jeff Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2006, 11:45 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mack
My brief experience with multicam in FCP was an exercise in frustration. A real pain to set up, with lots of very counter-intuitive steps. Once set up, it worked OK. But then it was back to pain-ville to prep the next sequence.

I suppose a power-user of FCP would get past those setup frustrations and on to the editing quickly. Glad it works for you.

That's been typical of my experience with FCP - amazing functionality that's hard to get to, difficult work flow. Again, power users probably do really better, but there's still all those clicks to do simple tasks.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2006, 11:54 AM   #22
Inner Circle

For what it's worth. I find the multi-cam editing in PP2 really simple and nowhere near as difficult as described here - most of my work is using this feature and based around music events. quickest workflow after trying it all ways I could think of is to do a number at a time - then once each one's done - combine these into the finished product. Working with very big files does slow things down quite a bit. I'm quite happy with the performance.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2006, 12:00 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mack
that's why two different magazines have chosen Vegas with plugs and Premiere Pro over FCP's multicam. ;-P

It really boils down to what you're used to. If you can roll fast in one app vs another, it's probably the one to stick with. There are certain things I can do very fast in Avid Xpress HD and other things I can do really fast in Vegas. Vegas with one of the multicam plugs is the fastest overall for me, but that's me. YMMV.
the ability to switch on the fly/live between cams regardless of how many cams you have is super sweet. Building the master track takes around 5 seconds once I've selected my camera I/O points.
I've got a 234 monitor, so it allows me to comfortably see unreasonable numbers of cameras. Most I've ever done for "real world" use is 19, but most of the time it's 4-6 cams. All real time, all the time, usually HDV or HD these days. The fact that I can do multicam with all three US resolutions at the same time is a monster benefit. AFAIK, only Vegas can correctly do this. SD, 720p, and 1080i on the same master track, with all those cams set up to feed the master is very fast and intuitive.
Paul, glad to hear you can work with big files in PP2. I can't do it with large files or HDV; my system crashes whenever I attempt to do multicam with long files.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...