Dumping Project Files??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 4th, 2006, 08:06 PM   #1
Major Player

Dumping Project Files???

Scenario: Working on a two minute project. Had it nearly completed but not rendered. Came back a week later, and all the captured video files have been auto deleted? Not to the recycle bin, completely gone? I never touched them, moved them, etc. And the auto search on Vegas can't find them????

Twilight Zone?
Derek Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 08:31 PM   #2
Rextilleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weiss
Scenario: Working on a two minute project. Had it nearly completed but not rendered. Came back a week later, and all the captured video files have been auto deleted? Not to the recycle bin, completely gone? I never touched them, moved them, etc. And the auto search on Vegas can't find them????

Twilight Zone?

I assume that you saved the project as a .veg (Vegas project file) and that the video files still exist on your drives? If they dont then I have no explanation.
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 09:25 PM   #3
Regular Crew

me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weiss

Twilight Zone?
been working the same timeline since saturday with a slide show at the end during credits. Save about every 2 minutes and even rendered a copy. next day no slide show and no music under the clips...? just gone
Fred Helm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 06:18 AM   #4
Inner Circle

If the VEG file is there look for the BAK file (probably in the same folder or drive as the VEG) and open that in Vegas-you might need to recapture the raw footage but as long as the VEG is there it will come back in as you had edited it. I have to say though I have never seen nor heard of "auto delete" in either Vegas or on any MS system. Have you looked thru the drives to see if the raw footage is there and perhaps got saved somewhere else?

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 07:52 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Mintzer
I assume that you saved the project as a .veg (Vegas project file) and that the video files still exist on your drives? If they dont then I have no explanation.
Yes, the project was saved as a .veg file. All the captured clips were in one folder. And the are ALL gone. The file search that Vegas does on the computer was unable to locate them. So I have an entire timeline of 'media offline'. The only thing that auto deleted was the captured clips.

Scary.
Old April 5th, 2006, 08:02 AM   #6
Sponsor: JET DV

I know of nothing on the system that would "auto delete" files. I know Vegas wouldn't. I also know Windows wouldn't. Therefore, something had to have been done - accidentally - to get rid of the files. Maybe there was a file system error. Or maybe someone else used the computer and needed to "free up some space" so they delete the really big files? Or any of the hundreds of other possibilities.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 12:00 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
I know of nothing on the system that would "auto delete" files. I know Vegas wouldn't. I also know Windows wouldn't. Therefore, something had to have been done - accidentally - to get rid of the files. Maybe there was a file system error. Or maybe someone else used the computer and needed to "free up some space" so they delete the really big files? Or any of the hundreds of other possibilities.
I'm the only user of this PC. And I'm 100% positive I wasn't sleep walking.

I don't know.
Old April 10th, 2006, 08:08 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Definitely update your virus software and run a scan pronto! I had a virus last month at work that started slowly eating away my files and I lost several before I realized what was going on. There are also several programs out there that may be able to recover your deleted files if they haven't been overwritten on your hard drive. My IT dept. was able to recover some of mine.

Other than a virus, I can't think of anything else that would do that.
Brandon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 08:00 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I would do a search for *.avi (or whatever media the clips are) search in windows, maybe they got renamed somehow
Jim Ohair is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...