Vegas 4 Released at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 5th, 2003, 06:51 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Vegas 4 Released

Fresh from of beta, Vegas 4 and Vegas+DVD are released and ready to conquer the software-based NLE world.

http://www.sonicfoundry.com/Products...ct.asp?PID=808

Very cool stuff. If you do your NLE work on a PC (and even if you don't) on any other package, you owe it to yourself to check out the demo and see what Vegas can do.
Brian M. Dickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2003, 08:25 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Definitely will get the the Vegas 4.0. I am also looking into getting a DVD burner (and software) soon. How does the vegas authoring software compare with other products like Sonic DVDit and ReelDVD?
Dan Measel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2003, 10:34 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Bought it today!

Amazing piece of software.

the DVD Architect is ok.... nothing too fancy, but gets the job done for me.
Eric Richmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2003, 02:36 AM   #4
Slash Rules!

Are they keeping that $199 upgrade price indefinitely from Vegas 3 to 4? Will it go higher after a while?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2003, 09:30 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Not sure, but if you're a registered user of VV3, you should have recieved an email with a better deal...

thats valid until March 15th
Old February 6th, 2003, 12:37 PM   #6
Slash Rules!

Really? The only thing I got from them is thing that says Vegas 4 is $299 and I can save$400 or something.
Old February 6th, 2003, 02:00 PM   #7
Regular Crew

http://www.sonicfoundry.com/email/ve...gasupgrade.htm

essentially what it is, is $149 for upgrade to V4, and $299 for upgrade to V4 + DVD Architect.

This is an *insane* deal if you think about it as Vegas4 can mix 5.1 Audio, and V4+DVD includes a 5.1 dolby digital encoder.

HTH
Old February 6th, 2003, 02:45 PM   #8
Slash Rules!

Okay, that sounds pretty damn good. Can you download it? Is it better to get it shipped to you? Do they say if they'll keep that price forever?
Old February 6th, 2003, 03:28 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I ordered it last night :-D

You can pick either getting it shipped or get it as a download.

If you do a direct download, you dont' get the printed manual, shortcut keys doc, etc etc. Although those are all provided as .pdfs and can be printed out. The upside to the download is that you get it immediately. I was using the registered version of V4+DVD ~5 minutes after buying it. Also, you get a free cd of something shipped to you (not sure what it is, I didn't pay attention). But free == cool :-D

With getting it shipped you have to wait, but get the printed manual and probably the serial number printed in the book. which is nice.

I basically just downloaded it all, put in all the confirmation sales emails, and a txt file with my reg keys, and burned them onto a couple of cds for backup.

Once I get a printer, I will just print out the manual chapter by chapter as I need it.

edit: The $149 and $299 prices are only valid till March 15th. (From the email)

editedit: the actual price for the upgrades (after march 15th) will be $249 and $399 respectively.

HTH
Old February 6th, 2003, 07:28 PM   #10
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

Vegas 4 is a killer product. SoFo listened tot heir users and added the features they demanded. You can get the download now, or wait a couple of weeks for the boxed versions.

Videoguys Vegas 4 Launch Spectacular (exp 3/15/03)
Vegas 4 w/ Pyro card $299.95
Vegas 4 + DVD w/ Pyro card $499.95

GREAT SAVINGS!! Buy our Vegas Video 3 Production Studio today & Get a FREE Upgrade to Vegas 4!!!

Sonic Foundry Production Studio (SFFPS6000)
Over $1000 worth of software and $500 worth of Loops plus a complete easy to use training manual!!
- Vegas Video 3.0 video editing software
- Sound Forge 6.0, the award-winning digital audio editor
- Noise Reduction plug-in to analyze and reduce low-level background noise
- ACID Pro 4.0, the award-winning loop-based music creation tool
- Loop Library - 18 ACID loops - Over $500 Value!!
- Sonic Foundry's Digital Audio and Video Production tutorial book
- Free FireWire card
- FREE UPGRADE TO VEGAS 4

- SFFPS600 bundle $799.95 PLUS FREE VEGAS 4 UPGRADE

Gary
Videoguys.com
Old February 6th, 2003, 08:51 PM   #11
Sponsor: JET DV

"If you do a direct download, you dont' get the printed manual, shortcut keys doc, etc etc. "

Actually, either way you don't get the printed manual. The manual included in the box is a "starting guide" and not the full manual. The full manual is available as follows:

As a PDF file on the CD included in the box.
As a PDF file downloadable from their website
As a bound book ordered from their website
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2003, 10:08 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I stand corrected :-D
Old February 7th, 2003, 12:31 AM   #13
Slash Rules!

And one more thing: I bought Vegas 3 not from SoFO directly but from an academic discount company. Am I still considered a registered user? Or does the registration have to do with whether you register the product after you get it. I think I did that. They send me emails about all this new crap. . .
Old February 7th, 2003, 01:51 AM   #14
Major Player

Heads up for those who own Emagic's Logic 5.0 + Vegas 4

Yesterday I purchased the upgrade to Vegas 4.0 + DVD Architect from Vegas Video 3. I also own Emagic's Logic 5.5 (Platinum version) which requires a dongle to run the program.

I am not able to open the Vegas 4.0 program with Emagic's Logic dongle still in the USB port. This may be old news for some of you, but it was real freaky for me! (I guess this is not necessarily a new problem. . . conflicts with dongles.) My heart was in my throat when I couldn't open the Vegas 4.0 program after just purchasing it.

Thankfully, the Sonic Foundry tech guys (his name also happens to be Ted) was very helpful in solving this problem.

I've read in Sonic' Foundry's Vegas forum that a few other people are experiencing the same problem.

Other than that short-lived inconvience, the Vegas 4.0 program seems to be very solid. Of course I'm still learning how to use the program. . . and still learning the in's and out's of video recording/editing as a whole.

And I'm enjoying every minute of it! :)

Regards,

Ted
Old February 7th, 2003, 02:21 AM   #15
Major Player

Eric,
One little detail about saving the download file etc to a CD. If you do have to reinstall, your first registration code may be useless. You must then register again, which, however, is just as easy and quick as it was the first time.
Tor Salomonsen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...