Vegas,HDV and Core Duo laptops?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 9th, 2006, 06:47 AM   #1
Major Player

Vegas,HDV and Core Duo laptops??

Hi,

Has anyone tried using any of the newer Core Duo laptops.. Using vegas, and editing with HDV?? What kind of performance are you seeing on the timeline?? Framerates of playback?? Any info on perfromance and your setup would be appreciated..

mike m,
Old May 9th, 2006, 07:14 AM   #2
Major Player

I've tried it. It works fine for simpler editing. Somewhat faster than my non-duo laptop.
Alex Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2006, 10:11 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi, I don't have an HD camera quite yet, but I can say that Vegas 6.0d is running quite smoothly on my Dual core laptop.

I need more ram for it, because it only came with 512 MB, and even with that it's still performing well!

I would love to use a desktop system. Unfortunately I'm trapped in an Army base in Kuwait, and my desktop got blown up when an external Hard Drive was plugged into it. I tried to get it fixed here with no luck, so I got me a Dual Core 1.87 GHZ system.

Any way, I was expecting vegas to be sluggish, but it is running beutifully for the small projects I am working on.
Justin Deming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 07:59 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I m using HP dv8000t (Code Duo 2.16MHz/2GB RAM/300GB 7200RPM Seagate ext HD) with Sony HC1. Havent done enuf editing to give any certain answer but from my prelim observations real-time playback of unconverted m2t files in Vegas 6a is pretty much no-go, only in the Draft(auto) mode and only for 1 video track w/o any effects /transitions etc. As far as i concern this workflow is no-go. Must try ConnectHD or that other SW that I've read about here, that creates proxy files, lets you work with SD like footage and then render it out in HD w/o quality loss. Realy hate to spend another 200$ on Cineform cuz im just a hobbist and not making any money off my eqipment
Mike Sakovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 08:30 AM   #5

you can use GearShift for this, you can render your own proxies and manually replace the HD with the proxies and then back the other way, you can use the full version of Connect HD. All are viable. If time isn't a big consideration, I'd be looking at manual or GearShift replacement.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 10:06 AM   #6
Regular Crew

yes,

thats right, i meant your VASSAT Gear Shift tool. I will definitelly try it this week. It looks like a great option for relatively inexpensive HD workflow.
Douglas, actually i d like to take this oppoprtunity to thank you for all your help here in the forum. Besides, I been using your Vegas 5 book for god knows how long now, very helpful.
Mike Sakovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 05:13 AM   #7
Trustee

Yes. Gearshift is an affordable software that does the job well. Benn testing it out n I'm pretty happy to spend some $$ for it :) Kudos to Spot for helping out.. hope to see u again in Singapore soon!
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 07:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Seah
:) Kudos to Spot for helping out.. hope to see u again in Singapore soon!
howzabout mid-August for soon enough? I'll be in Singapore in August and in Australia in November. Looks like we'll be in London and Stockholm in October.

Oh yea, and the Vegas Certification tour over the summer.
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 08:30 PM   #9
Major Player

Hi Spot,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
howzabout mid-August for soon enough? I'll be in Singapore in August and in Australia in November. Looks like we'll be in London and Stockholm in October.

Oh yea, and the Vegas Certification tour over the summer.

Is there a schedule or anything up on the web yet of where and when for the vegas certification??

Thanks,
Mike Moncrief
Old June 1st, 2006, 12:22 AM   #10

Mike,
We'll be posting locations and dates in a couple days, and will start taking registrations soon. Thanks for the interest!
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...