Intermediary formats at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 9th, 2006, 09:50 PM   #1
Major Player

Intermediary formats

What else are out their besides Connect HD and Gearshift for Vegas usuers.
Fred Foronda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 09:00 AM   #2
Inner Circle

apple intermediary codec.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2006, 06:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

You don't really need anything else.

Gearshift can create either DV proxies or Cineform Intermediates.

The latter can effectively replace your m2t HDV files for the purpose of finishing and rendering.

DV proxies allow you to work fluently on a slower computer, then switch back to the original HDV files for rendering.

Incidentally you can achieve both intermediates and proxies in V6 alone - the plug ins make everything easier, but you can do it in Vegas.
Peter Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2006, 09:49 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Are there any FAQs breaking down the various intermediary codecs for PC? so I've read about cineform, canopus HQ, and gearshift. What others? con and pros? from what I've gathered, cineform is better than HQ.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 11:14 PM   #5
Major Player

Gearshift is a program, not sure it's an actual codec (I don't think it is).
Alex Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 02:00 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Canopus HQ is only available within Edius. However, I've been testing the Edius tryout and WOW!

I'm a Vegas user and I am used to Connect HD. I have heard say that Canopus HQ may be not quite as sharp as Cineform but that the colour is better. I can confirm that subjectively the colour DOES seem better but that the resolution seems equal to Cineform. My experience is that in Vegas I have to run the preview at Draft/Full to get realtime performance but Canopus HQ runs full res all the time in realtime.

But here's an example of why Canopus HQ is so good: while messing with what's possible in Edius I did a slo-mo experiment. As reported in another thread, I slowed an action clip down 33% and hit play. Without rendering. The clip played off smooth as glass from the timeline without missing a beat. In hi res. It was so good I'm having difficulty believing what I can see. I would have been thrilled at the result if it had taken 2 hours to render - but running off the timeline????
Michael Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 05:43 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Thames
Gearshift is a program, not sure it's an actual codec (I don't think it is).
Alex you are corrrect. Gearshift is a plug-in which can help you with using a proxy and/or an intermediate. It is not a codec.
Mark Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 06:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bott
I'm a Vegas user and I am used to Connect HD. I have heard say that Canopus HQ may be not quite as sharp as Cineform but that the colour is better. I can confirm that subjectively the colour DOES seem better but that the resolution seems equal to Cineform. ????

Do this:
Render out colorbars from your cam in both codecs. Then come back and talk about color. In other words same source, rendered to two codecs, then both opened in Pshop or other to compare original color values to rendered color values.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 08:01 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Hello Spot.

Well, maybe the difference I'm seeing is down to the different way that Edius seems to use the PC monitor overlay. I can't seem to get Edius to output to my CRT monitor yet. So ignore my opinion on the colour difference.

My favouring Edius at the moment is entirely to do with workflow and the availablity of batch capture for a large project. See http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=67327

If Vegas 7.0 had arrived at NAB with batch capture of HDV for the Cineform codec there would be no argument.
Michael Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 08:50 AM   #10

No argument from me. I wish we were seeing more advanced HDV support directly inside of Vegas too, and aside from that, Canopus have done an excellent job with their app managing HNX. Bear in mind that its' not really a DI, but rather an overall working codec. It's also significantly less efficient than CineForm, and slightly less quality, but it is indeed exceptionally well implemented. CineForm's wavelet technology (so far) hasn't been bested by any app on any platform.
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 04:21 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
No argument from me. I wish we were seeing more advanced HDV support directly inside of Vegas too, and aside from that, Canopus have done an excellent job with their app managing HNX. Bear in mind that its' not really a DI, but rather an overall working codec. It's also significantly less efficient than CineForm, and slightly less quality, but it is indeed exceptionally well implemented. CineForm's wavelet technology (so far) hasn't been bested by any app on any platform.

Are you suggesting I might need to use Cineform to edit vs. using gearshift? I never spent the time to compare the two. I just did what was easier for me but if the quality of the end product is better, I will change.

Jeff Mack
Jeff Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 05:03 PM   #12

Let's clarify what GearShift does. It performs a few different functions.
1. It can create a DV proxy so you can edit for HDV on a slower, older machine. If you have a 3.2 GHz machine or faster, you might find the HDI is preferable. If you have a 3.0 or slower machine, the proxies are definitely preferable.

2. It can create an HDI (High Def Intermediary) using CineForm as the codec. This is preferable for faster machines. This uses the CineForm codec that comes with Vegas.

3. It can create an HD Uncompressed output. This is required for BlackMagic Design cards.

4. It can create any two of the above. It can do this from Bins, Timeline, or File system/Explorer.

The end product is no different/better at all. The difference is in workflow. If the GearShift workflow that you are using now fits your needs, no worries, because you're getting the same final output one way or another. GearShift doesn't have a built in codec, it simply uses the tools/codecs that Vegas already provides. Including CineForm. GearShift just makes the process a bit more transparent.
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...