DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas 4 is here!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/6880-vegas-4-here.html)

Gary Bettan February 13th, 2003 10:19 AM

Vegas 4 is here!!

Now available Vegas 4 via Electronic Download!!
We have just received special approval from Sonic Foundry to begin offering Vegas 4 and Vegas 4 +DVD via Electronic Download! Electronic Download Pricing:

Vegas 4 $299.95
Vegas 4 +DVD $499.95

Guys, Vegas4 is very cool! We've been playing with it a lot around here and we think you will be blown away by the power, performance and features.

http://www.videoguys.com/vegasvideo.html

Gary

Robert Poulton February 13th, 2003 04:03 PM

I havent use this program but from what I have read and seen this is the only NLE out there that has all the right tools to create proper DVD and other video content. I am happy that they finally have 5.1 channel mixing. I mean crap I have wanted that forever. Plus it looks like I have imagined it, with speakers and all. This program looks like it has all the tools that FCP and Xpress DV. Does anyone have this program yet? And you tried out some of these features?

Rob

David Mintzer February 13th, 2003 05:50 PM

I have both Vegas 4.0 and DVD Architect and let me tell you, this is one case where the hype is warranted--Just an amazing program.

Eric Richmond February 13th, 2003 07:07 PM

I agree with David :-D

Robert Poulton February 13th, 2003 08:34 PM

Sweet. I have been using Adobe Premiere and let me tell you "it sucks crap through a straw." I hate it. The worst program ever made. I thought it would get better considering I love all adobe products....wait, nm, I hate some of them. After using After Effects and Photoshop (the GOD programs), it seems that they just dont care about their other products...except for the web ones. I dont know about those because I like macromedia web programs instead.
Im just happy that we have programs that can do it all. 5 years ago it was a steady hope. Now I dont need to because its here.

How do you like the DVD Architect? Is it part of Vegas 4.0 or a seperate program? What about the AC3 surround sound? Is the interface well constructed, it looks that way?

Rob:D

Rob Lohman February 14th, 2003 05:34 AM

DVD Architect is a seperate program. And I've been hearing some
mixed feeling about that one (accroding to one person it seems
to have problems previewing the mpeg2 files). I still have to look
for myself, no time no time...

Gary Bettan February 14th, 2003 09:06 AM

A bit more on Vegas 4 :

I was always a fan of Vegas Video, nothngs better for making music videos or montages or highlights. On the down side I felt it fell short on long format productions.

With Vegas 4 this is no longer an issue.

- The new media management tools are excellent.
- The real-time color correction is extremely powerful and you can preview the changes in the video while you are using the color correction tools.
- The audio tools in Vegas were always a cust above - now they've added AC3 encoding and 5.1 surround mixing.
- The integration with DVD Architect is superb making this the most complete soup to nuts video editing and DVD creation solution.

I realize there have been posts about the financial outlook for Sonic Foundry. I have no idea where they are going. What i can tell you is that Vegas4 is a major technology breakthrough for digital video, audio and DVD creation. You will not regret investing in it - especially at these amazing launch promotional prices.

http://www.videoguys.com/vegasvideo.html

Gary
Videoguys.com

Dan Measel February 14th, 2003 10:34 PM

Gary,

I am going to get a DVD player and authoring software in the next couple of months (or whenever I figure out exactly what I need). As a novice, I am having trouble figuring out which authoring software is best for my needs. In your experience how does Vegas Architect compare with Sonic DVDit or Reel DVD?

I am a hobbyist, but dedicated to producing the best video (and eventually DVD) I can. I am working with Vegas (which I bought from electronic mailbox) and want an authoring package with Vegas like stability. I don't need anything too fancy but want the ability to make chapters and subchapters with the icons being clips from the video. I would like to add subtitles for my Japanese audience (family) but don't know if this is practical since there seems to be compatibility issues between DVDs made here and there. And the kicker, a program that is fairly intuitive and user freindly (or a great instruction manual). I was very happy with my Vegas purchase from electronic mailbox and will almost definitely buy my burner and software from them.

Any advice you have about the DVD software would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you know of how to generate a DVD that can be watched on a Japanese DVD player I'm dying to find out how.

Zac Stein February 14th, 2003 11:39 PM

Dan,

I really think DVD architect is for you. I too played with a lot of programs, i basically went down to uni, where they have a boat load of programs they have aquired for free for training/testing purposes. I must have used every single authoring app there, about 7 of them.

DVD architect sold me because it is extremely powerful yes so so so so easy to use. All of what you want except for maybe the subtitles you will be delited with.

Zac

Robert Poulton February 15th, 2003 11:18 AM

Japan is NTSC so as long as your DVD doesnt have a Region restriction on it you should be fine. I have gotten many DVD imports from Japan and as long as they aren't restricted they work.

Rob

Joe Carney February 15th, 2003 11:42 AM

at the moment my only complaint about DVD A is lack of support for sub titles. There are other issues depending on ones needs, but being in South FL in a bilingual market, sub titles would have been nice for the large hispanic population down here. As it is, dubbing is alway an option, but more expensive.

There are free tools (Virtual Dub, AVI synth) that support adding subtitles to mpeg streams, but not sure if they could be included in a final burn with DVD A.

Joe Carney February 15th, 2003 11:49 AM

btw, some are already saying a good combo is Vegas+DVDA plus the full version of Reel DVD. Reel DVD can't create 5.1 AC3 but it can import it. And it support multiple audio tracks and subtitles.
hmmmm. You still get a pro setup for less than 1500.00.

Dan Measel February 15th, 2003 07:43 PM

Thanks for the info. It sounds like I'll need to decide if I really need subtitles, but I think I will probably end up buying the Vegas DVD Architect (after I play around with the trial version a little). Do you think subtitles are something that might come along as a download in version 2?

I'll have to try some different Japanese DVDs out. The initial ones I tried (videos mailed from relatives for the kids) wouldn't play, maybe those were restricted for some reason.

Eric Reynolds February 16th, 2003 01:46 PM

I didnt know if there was gonna be enough of a change in V4 to make me switch from VV3... but there was. I love V4.

Eric Richmond February 17th, 2003 06:49 AM

one thing to remember about DVDA is that this is a 1.0 release.

I feel it is underpowered in terms of what other more mature dvd apps can do, however, this is reflected in the price. As the cost difference between Vegas4 and Vegas4+DVDA is about the cost of the AC-3 5.1 encoder.

I think SoFo's main goal in the 1.0 release is to make sure
a) burning of dvds works
b) surround sound works

once they work out all the kinks, I'd assume 2.0 to bring many higher level features to the front.