DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas 6 Pricing and General License Questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/68865-vegas-6-pricing-general-license-questions.html)

Jon Elam June 4th, 2006 08:04 PM

Vegas 6 Pricing and General License Questions

Hello Everyone,
I am interested in purchasing a copy of Vegas 6 and checked out our sponsor B&H, but there appears to be a big discrepancy between their pricing and what seems to be msrp elsewhere. This is one of the few instances where B&H does not have much info about the product to specify that it is a full license rather than an upgrade. Has anyone from the forums purchased vegas from B&H and can confirm that it is a full/non-academic/non-upgrade at this price? Almost seems to good to be true, which usually means that it is. Link to product is below:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
I know I should probably just call B&H for this one, but thought I'd post so I could include the following question.

Additionally, I would like to eventually own Vegas+DVD, but the price margin between the suite at B&H opposed to the standalone is almost the cost of a full version upgrade at the Sony Media Software website (Vegas 5 to Vegas6+DVD @ $299), which means that when 7 is eventually released the upgrade from 6 will probably be similar. For anyone that has taken this path in the past, does Sony have a limit to the number of times a license can be upgraded without having to purchase another full version? I can manage without DVD Architect for the time being if that means I will have the option of upgrading to 7 when that is released.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Regards,
- JON

Don Bloom June 4th, 2006 08:10 PM

IF you are already a Vegas user the UPGRADE price is of course less than getting the package as a new user.
I just looked at the link you posted and it appears to me that this is their price for Vegas only without DVDA (of course-it says that) AND that it is an UPGRADE price meaning if you are already a Vegas user.

I have been using Vegas since late Version2 and have never had to replace a license-once a use always a user. When 3 came out I upgraded- when 4 came out I upgraded-when 5 came and when 6 came out --same thing---I'm sure I will when 7 8 9 and 10 come out as well and have'nt had a problem with the license. HOWEVER if you decide to purchase Vegas get it with DVDA as well ---it is a money saver.

hope that answers your question

Don

Dale Paterson June 5th, 2006 10:15 AM

Just for fun I checked the link as well.

It definitely does not include DVDA BUT is also does NOT say that it is an upgrade - or did I miss something?

Regards,

Dale.

Hornady Setiawan June 5th, 2006 12:35 PM

err.. do you want me to call B&H...??
LoL :)

Jon Elam June 5th, 2006 08:26 PM

Don,
Thanks for sharing your experience about the licensing. It is nice to know that Sony encourages its users to stick with the product by offering an easy upgrade scheme.

With regard to my first question, I called B&H right after they opened at 9am EST this morning and talked to a real nice guy in the video department. At first when I asked him about Vegas for $150 he told me I must be talking about Vegas Movie Studio, but when I gave him the B&H product number he confirmed that it really is Vegas 6 and not just an upgrade license. He seemed pretty surprised that it was so inexpensive and wasn't aware they sold it like that without DVD Architect, but he said it wasn't and upgrade and the system showed many copies available in stock.
I had a few other items that I needed to pick up anyway, so I ordered a copy of Vegas by itself and will report back when I recieve it and can personally verify that it is full.

Don Bloom June 5th, 2006 09:07 PM

Hey Good Deal.
That really is cheap for a full version of Vegas...ahhh btw, it is Version 6 right? I would check that before you buy just to make sure. Ya never know!

Don

Jon Elam June 7th, 2006 08:17 PM

Well Everyone,
I received my B&H order today and it included the copy of Vegas 6 which I purchased for only $150. The packaging appeared to be OEM as the disc only came in a cd sleeve (no box or manual) with an orange serial number sticker on the front, but it was an officialy stamped Sony CD and it was new enough to have 6.0d (Build 210) already on the disc. Also included on the disc was the additional software (Boris ltd, Cineform connect hd trial, & Sony loop reference library).
I expected there to be a catch, but everything installed without a hitch and it allowed me to register the software with Sony, so I guess I can say I'm extremely pleased with the purchase. It would have been nice to get DVD Architect this time around too, but for the price difference I think I can wait until the next release and pay for the upgrade. For anyone that has been on the fence about purchasing Vegas, this seems like the best opportunity to join in...after all, it was even cheaper than the student license. Way to go B&H.

Sean Seah June 8th, 2006 10:11 AM

Thanks for the great news.. I have to tell u guys u get software at better prices than here in Singapore. Vegas 6 with DVD A3 is about US$780 over here compared to US$370!

Sheldon Blais June 8th, 2006 02:29 PM

I'm in for 1. Bye-bye Pinnacle!!

Justin Deming June 12th, 2006 06:59 AM

Man, I just payed about $700 a month ago for Vegas 6 & DVD Architect.

I got it direct from sony's site & downloaded it, no CD even.

If you don't already have Vegas 6, now's the time to get it before B&H discovers their mistake. I am willing to bet what you got was a full version accidentally priced at the price for an upgrade.

Duane Prince June 16th, 2006 02:45 PM

..one should be a little cautious, as there is some software sold, that has no upgrade path for that product.. I'll probably call myself to ask this...