setting up school Vegas suites - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 29th, 2006, 01:04 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pace
great news today: last week somebody in the department mentioned the existence of 3 Dells that another prof was getting rid of. I was dismissive of this, imagining some old jalopy clunker machines that would be more trouble than they were worth.

Well-- i saw them today:

they look like fairly recent upper-end Dimensions or lower-end Precisions, but regardless, this is the current spec:

XP Pro SP2
P-4 2.4 GHz
512 RAM
standard-issue CRT's, kbd's and mice

I'm excited-- there's $ for adding-on RAM, large video drives, 1394 cards, latest DVD writers, maybe even video and audio card improvements.

All this means a LOT more $$ available for more cameras, tripods, mics etc, which are also sorely needed. I can get these 3 edit stations set up in the new lab and get the Vegas era underway here a lot sooner than i was planning for.

P-4 2.4 GHz is more than fine for the all-SD DV capture and editing we'll be doing. Bumping the RAM up to at least a gig will be a priority--

Any other add-on enhancements i should be thinking about??

Thanks everyone

MRP

I've been running Vegas 5 and 6 on a machine with the same processor and a little more ram for 2 years now, and am not having any issues whatsoever. Those will be great machines to get started on!
Kevin James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 01:49 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin James
Those will be great machines to get started on!
yes, would'nt they.

Unfortunately whoever came up with those specs was waaaay off. I hooked up one of the PCs and was a little miffed to find out they are in fact Pentium 3 with a lowly 900-something mHz chip. No DVD writer, no firewire etc etc.

So now i'm in the unusual (for me) position of turning down free machinery. But these just won't cut it-- they barely clear Sony's min syst req's for Vegas 6, and i expect that is'nt saying much.

Back to the new-PC proposal drawing board. I'm gonna pitch Dell P4 3gHz + stations, see if they get us $$.

BTW: i have a thread related to this school business in the general DV forum-- it involves connecting 3 PCs to a single deck via a firewire router. Check it out if you have any input

Best,

MRP
Michael Pace is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...