Disabling .sfl Files at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 28th, 2006, 04:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Disabling .sfl Files

OK I realize these things store information about the videos that would otherwise go in file embedded metadata if my video types supported that, BUT I DON'T CARE. I constantly have to keep deleting the things after I render my projects. Sometimes when I'm trying to get a type of compression down I end up with 30 of these things scattered around.

I haven't experienced any issues with deleting the files, and I'm not concerned about any enhancements they may give my project media view. Can only find info on making new ones from Sony's help program but can't seem to delete using same procedure. Anyone gone through this problem as well?

And sorry if anyone dislikes the fact that I've made a lot of threads lately but I just have a lot to get off my chest at the moment. I've searched through the forums for similar topics before posting.
Mathew Kurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 06:52 PM   #2
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

what version of Vegas ?

try : when you render - uncheck save project media marker in file
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 10:42 AM   #3
Regular Crew

|
V

Last edited by Mathew Kurtz; June 29th, 2006 at 01:03 PM.
Old June 29th, 2006, 01:03 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I have version 6. I actually tried that and it still saved the files. I guess project markers aren't the same thing.
Old June 29th, 2006, 02:19 PM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

Are you talking .sfl or .sfk?

The .sfk files are used to draw the audio waveform and are automatically created. You can delete them all you want and they will be re-created the next time you open the file in Vegas or DVD A. Just leave them until you delete the corresponding video or audio file.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 03:16 PM   #6
Regular Crew

.sfl mostly. I'd rather not have any accompanying files on my projects, files w/e. But yeah the main issue is the .sfl files that are saved with my rendered videos.
Old June 30th, 2006, 02:02 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Got a reply back from Sony about the issue and they pretty much ignored me and told me that they are important so that projects can reference their files and so forth. So I guess I'm stuck with these little guys. Thanks for all your help anyway peoples.
Old June 30th, 2006, 09:04 PM   #8

OK, if Sony "ignored you" then how did you get an answer?
Bottom line is, you need these files. Delete them if you wish, they'll just come back. They're extremely small, so not sure why a mountain is being made of them? They've been part and parcel of how Vegas, Sound Forge, ACID, and all other Sony/Sonic Foundry tools have operated for the past 15 years. While some folks don't like them, I can honestly say that in 8 years of moderating forums related to the Sony/Sonic Foundry tools, no one has ever made quite this much fuss.
Accurate audio is important to most of us, these files give us sample accuracy. No other video tool is this accurate.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2006, 09:35 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I'm really sorry :(
Old August 1st, 2006, 03:58 AM   #10
Tourist

.sfl files ARE a problem

Hi Mathew, slightly immoderate and over-defensive answer from DSE I thought.

There are clearly workflow issues with the automatic creation of .sfl files when rendering - particularly when sending files to watch folders. Indeed cleaner 6 watch folders don't work when you render directly from Vegas 6 because they can't handle the sfl's. Vegas 5 had an option to turn these off I believe - why doesn't 6 - or does it?

Love Vegas, but this is my one gripe with the new version. And Mathew you and I are not the only ones (see link below) it is clearly a problem that needs sorting out, not denying.

http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/For...ssageID=399564

Joe
Joe Cogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 08:35 AM   #11

Joe, the original question pointed to .sfk files, which have always existed, and not .sfl files, until Edward asked about .sfl.
.sfl files used to be optional, but no longer are due in part to the way applications within Vegas share pointer information. The "Save Path" option in all of the Sony applications require these very small indicator files.
You may not be aware that at the time of this post, it had been posted multiple times elsewhere.
Either way, it's a trivial matter to delete the .sfk, .sfl, and sfap0 files generated by Vegas or other Sony applications if that's what you'd prefer to do. But the Sony software will always generate them each time you open or render the project.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 09:05 AM   #12
Sponsor: JET DV

The reason I originally asked for clarification was because the post title specifically mentioned .sfl files but the contents of the post seemed to relate more to .sfk files. Further clarification revealed he was really meaning the .sfl files but the same holds true for both - they're small, easy to find, easily deleted, and automatically rebuilt as needed.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...