Vegas Slow Down - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 25th, 2006, 09:37 AM   #16
Regular Crew

I have run task manager and have not seen anything that looks suspicious. The only thing taking up more than 2% is Vegas.

I'm beginning to think that it is a setting in Vegas that has somehow accidently gotten changed.

Before this happened, if I dropped a video on the timeline, it played at normal speed in the preview window at the bottom right, using the "Best/Full" setting. Now it will only play at normal speed in "Draft/Full" setting.

I am using two other PCs that have never had this problem.
Old July 25th, 2006, 04:01 PM   #17
New Boot

Jerky operation

Based on both your observations, it's sounding like a corrupt driver or vegas software install (or add-in gone bad, like ConnectHD codec, SQL etc.) I really don't have enough info to nail it down, but my hunch for the person who can play it in PP w/o studdering -->the Vegas (or subsystem) install is suspect. Does not sound like device driver/hardware.

Jesse - can u verify u have most current vga driver? I don't think this is the reason, but think back as to "what changed." That's usually the reason. Occasionally, uninstalling something "rolls back" the driver. Can't hurt to reinstall vga driver, but don't take too much time, sorta don't think this is the reason.

Jesse - Can u play an avi file (or whatever in in timeline) in WMP or external player ok or is it limited to vegas like Jay? If it "stays in Vegas," likely is in Vegas. <g>

I still go back to device manager, to make sure all is ok. Also use WINMSD look for problem devices and IRQ status, but only if the stuttering is global, not just vegas.
Jim Harring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 11:30 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Jim,

Thanks for the info.

I do have the most current VGA driver and I have installed 6.0d over 6.0a.

Also, not only is external play OK but if I select a file in the "Explorer" and play it from there, it plays fine. If I then drop it on the timeline, it skips multiple frames.

I ran WINMSD and didn't find anything unusual.

I've played with some of the Vegas settings - Nothing seems to work.
Old September 11th, 2006, 08:27 PM   #19
Regular Crew

System getting slower

OK.

I know it's been a long time since I first posted this thread. Not only do I still have this problem, now it takes 3+ hour to render a 4 minute video on this system.

I can render the same video on another, similar system, and it only takes 30 minutes or less.

I'm about to wipe the system clean and start over (a terrible alternative).

Any final suggestions?
Old September 11th, 2006, 09:48 PM   #20
Inner Circle

couple things..

how hard is your pagefile hammering away.. ?? as in how many other background apps are running?

kill em if u dont need em..

ideally youd have a seperate drive altogether for your pagefile.. i run a 6gb el cheapo ide only hammering at 2gb virtual memory..

also, if ur drives are fragmented, youll notice this.. if u notice a drop in frame rate during playback, change the preview setting.. ie if u preview with "preview" resolution.. drop it to "draft", then bring it back to preview.. this is a workaround without nuking your hair follicles..
I also find running external preview through 1394 to lock up someotimes, so i have to physically remove advc300 unit and reconnect it... does the same with 3 of my cameras.. i dont know if this is vegas or windows 1394 management though.. also check your FSB speed as this is what usually bottlenecks playback as well.. the drives may be able to hammer away, but the speed at which the data is throughput may not be as efficient
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 08:40 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Peter,

Thanks for the reply. I've defragged both my drives. Neither is more than 80% full (one is a 60GB the other is a 600+GB). I've struggled with this for months and I'm fairly technical.

It looks like a reformat, reinstall is my only alternative.
Old September 13th, 2006, 02:17 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Redman
It looks like a reformat, reinstall is my only alternative.
Ah, the unofficial Microsoft motto. :)

Sorry Jesse.
Old September 13th, 2006, 08:26 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Thanks, Jarrod. I needed the laugh and the reminder after that one!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...