Checking tape timecode on captured clips. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 8th, 2006, 09:17 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Checking tape timecode on captured clips.

I'm trying to view my tape timecode in the project media/trimmer in Vegas and I can't quite find how to do it. Anyone know?
Dale Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 01:03 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Open the clip in the trimmer.

If you need to burn timecode into the picture, use the timecode filter at the *mediaFX* level. It works at the mediaFX level only, not at the event level.

Rightclick the clip/event to see both options.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 01:57 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I don't want to burn the timecode onto the picture; I want to view the timecode that was originally on the tape.
Dale Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 11:26 PM   #4
New Boot

Anyone has the answer to this?
Jason Kan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2006, 02:38 PM   #5
Inner Circle

to display source timecode on the timeline thumbnails:

Options | Preferences | Video | Show source frame numbers on event thumbnails as: | Timecode

Then, zoom in to the timeline as desired.

However, be aware that Vegas does not recognize source timecode from all HDV camera manufacturer formats. In this case, every event on the timeline will start at "0:00".

***edit***
I've seen good source timecode in vegas from all dv footage, from Sony HVR-Z1U, and some modes of JVC HD-100.

Last edited by Seth Bloombaum; December 30th, 2006 at 01:54 AM.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2006, 11:06 PM   #6
New Boot

Thanks for the suggestion. But, it does start from 0:00. Also, it does not show the actual date when the video was recorded. I guess it does not work with HV10. Too bad, it's not as simple as jpeg which we can view all these in EXIF info.

I have 2 questions.

1) Is the original recording date and time embedded in .m2t files? (I have a HV10)
2) If so, any tool or utility can extract that info from .m2t?

-Jason
Jason Kan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2006, 11:34 PM   #7

Jason, if you view T/C from the Media Pool as previously suggested, the HV10 does embed the T/C in the stream, i'm looking at footage from the HV10 in Vegas 7c right now. You'll see original T/C, but not the date/timestamp, of course.

http://www.codeproject.com/cs/media/...m_analyzer.asp will let you view the timestamp, but not sure how it might help your workflow.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2006, 02:35 AM   #8
Trustee

capture date

i usually just see capture date. But I rarely use timecode to sync anything. That is what a flash or loud noise are for. Seems easy for me at least.

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2006, 10:59 AM   #9
Major Player

Dale -

Not sure if you're using SD or HD(V), but two tools which can help with this for SD (avi files) are:

http://dts8888.com/vDTS/vdts.htm - this will parse a SD AVI file and create a new avi file with date/time stamp info embedded onto the video with many different options

scenalizer live - http://www.scenalyzer.com/ - if you capture with this, you can see the date/time in the file as it's being captured, again, SD DV format required

not sure how / whether these tools will be upgraded for HDV, but may be worth knowing about

hope this helps..
Dave Stern is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...