DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Full-resolution real-time preview possible? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/71354-full-resolution-real-time-preview-possible.html)

Anton Dembowski July 12th, 2006 12:48 PM

Full-resolution real-time preview possible?

Using Vegas 6.0d, is it possible to have a full-resolution preview of SD material? Currently I am using the "Best" preview option which gives me a small viewing area, and if I "scale" to fit the full screen I get low resolution.

Will a breakout box solve this problem? Or is the preview limited by my computer specs (currently pretty decent)?

Thanks
Anton

Peter Jefferson July 12th, 2006 03:50 PM

a BoB wont do much

best way to get full res, full frame HQ preview is to run a dual dual core with a Raid Striped HDD array.

Vegas isnt the most efficient when it comes to realtime preview, however full frames can be previewed via ram render so those frame perfect cuts can be reviewed in all their glory if u need.

Anton Dembowski July 12th, 2006 05:12 PM

That's helpful, thank you.

Even without upgrading my system it is useful to know that the preview is limited by the available CPU. I will take a look at the competing processes.

And thanks for the reminder about the dynamic ram preview.

Randy Stewart July 12th, 2006 11:46 PM

Anton,
Are you using an external monitor to preview your work as you edit? If not, recommend you do so. I use a small TV hooked up to my ADVC 300 conversion box but you can use a firewire to camcorder to TV via the RCA cables too. Then, select external view in your preview window, the preview shows up on your TV full screen. You can select best full to get the high quality look. Using the external monitor is also best for doing color correction as you get a more true look to your video. Give it a try.
Randy

Peter Jefferson July 13th, 2006 12:31 AM

what Randy has written is on he ball, but at that resolution, u will prolly get a frame rate of about 3 to 7 fps

if u run in preview full resolution, u might be able to double that

Edward Troxel July 13th, 2006 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anton Dembowski
and if I "scale" to fit the full screen I get low resolution.

What exactly does this mean? How are "scaling" the video to fit full screen?

Anton Dembowski July 19th, 2006 02:21 PM

Edward,

I mean the checkbox under:
Preferences > Preview Device > "Scale output to fit display"

For me that will do full screen, but at a lower "stretched" resolution.

Bennis Hahn July 19th, 2006 02:26 PM

using "Good" quality is you don't need to use best and suffer the performance hit.

Anton Dembowski July 19th, 2006 02:28 PM

Randy and Peter,

This is definitely what I'm interested in.

I'm evaluating adding either the AVDC or the Pyro A/V break out box connected to a TV monitor. I've definitely heard the arguments for using this TV display for color correction work, which sounds great. But given the lack of space in my edit station, I'm now trying to find out if I can get the benefit of full-resolution preview to justify the addition of the TV monitor.

From what you have said I'm getting the impression that the break out box -> TV connection will provide higher resolution than my current preview device (21" Sony Trinitron CRT as "Windows Secondary Display").

Your thoughts?
Thanks
Anton

Anton Dembowski July 19th, 2006 02:31 PM

Bennis,

Good point. There doesn't seem to be much of a difference in the preview quality between "Good" and "Best" and it sure runs smoother.

Thanks
Anton

Edward Troxel July 19th, 2006 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anton Dembowski
Good point. There doesn't seem to be much of a difference in the preview quality between "Good" and "Best" and it sure runs smoother.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=52500

Anton Dembowski July 19th, 2006 03:43 PM

Interesting! I like the breakdown of algorithms