Best computer for HD & Vegas? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 3rd, 2006, 06:10 PM   #31
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis
You'll never get me to come over completely to the dark side of the force...........[Insert Darth Sound] :}
That's what I said. lol
Old August 3rd, 2006, 07:03 PM   #32
Major Player

I use both and I can't see any thing significantly better in one or the other except sound... Vegas owns FCP when it comes to processing sound... all my vst and directx tools are right there... I actually pull all my audio into my pc to process it if I'm doing a project on FCP.
Kevin Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 07:07 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Well I was reading I think where DSE and some others were saying they get a pc/laptop off the shelf to edit with, this may save me some $$$.

I imagine that I would edit off a external drive because weddings are typically 90gig plus, so hard drive space might not be that much of deal, I don't know. Why don't they just make one laptop and shove it down our throats!
Old August 3rd, 2006, 08:16 PM   #34
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Richard
I use both and I can't see any thing significantly better in one or the other except sound... Vegas owns FCP when it comes to processing sound... all my vst and directx tools are right there... I actually pull all my audio into my pc to process it if I'm doing a project on FCP.
I use both and see HUGE advantages and disadvantages. Some where Vegas prevails and others where FCP does. Overall I feel the workflow in FCP is cleaner and more organized.

Vegas's audio processing ability smokes FCP but that's what soundtrack is for. I've used both Soundforge and Sountrack and I like Soundtrack considerably more.

One of the largest strengths it has is it's power as a suite. FCP, DVDSP (which smokes DVDA btw), Motion, Soundtrack, and LiveType make a very powerful toolset which integrate very well with "round-tripping" between apps.

People can argue till they are blue in the face however the fact remains that the both of them are simply "tools". Tools enabling us to work creatively. At this time I just feel that FCP Studio has considerably more tools to offer than Vegas+DVD.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 09:00 PM   #35
Major Player

You are right, I forgot about LiveType... i would kill to have LiveType in Vegas... Maybe I'm just really used to SF, WaveLab, Cubase, Sonar... ok any windows audio app you put infront of me I'll have down in a few seconds... not true with a mac one... they just don't jive with me... Plus I don't have to go into SF that often as Vegas can usually get the job done right there on the timeline... FCP would struggle to accomplish what Vegas can do so easily as it's the same tools and layout as SF/Acid.

Oh, I didn't mean one didn't shine in some places than others... just meant overall it's a draw... to me the workflow is more logical in Vegas than FCP... I look in the manual a lot in FCP, not so much in Vegas.

Guess, different strokes for different folks.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 11:12 PM   #36
Trustee

Not beyond a "laptop"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis
Well I was reading I think where DSE and some others were saying they get a pc/laptop off the shelf to edit with, this may save me some $$$.

I imagine that I would edit off a external drive because weddings are typically 90gig plus, so hard drive space might not be that much of deal, I don't know. Why don't they just make one laptop and shove it down our throats!
Video editing is not beyond a "laptop" assuming you are willing to accept a masive laptop (aka mobile desktop). My Alienware MJ11-7700 has 150GB of space, just enough for a single project at a time as well as all my renders from previous projects (to show clients) and my music library.

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 11:29 PM   #37

Just today, Spot got a new VAIO FE960PB laptop. It's a screamer, and I'm editing HDV on it already, using an external drive, plus the 160GB internal.
So far, loving it. I love my MacBookPro too, but I'll be traveling with the VAIO extensively over the next 5 months.
And if TSA drops it or anything else happens to it, I can just run to a CrapUSA and buy another one, swap out the drive, and I'm good to go.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 02:23 AM   #38
Trustee

Spot,

Is this it? The FE690PB? $1700. Dual core 1.83Ghz, Did you upgrade to 2gb ram?

http://www.learningcenter.sony.us/as...cle/specs.html
Old August 4th, 2006, 04:53 PM   #39
Trustee

Bump - for DSE

Bump.

For Spot
Old August 4th, 2006, 05:09 PM   #40

That's the one...
Sorry, I stopped subscribing to the thread, it turned into a Mac/PC thread and those got old a few years ago. ;-)
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 05:15 PM   #41
Major Player

At least we kept it civil and informative... got to give us that much :p
Old August 4th, 2006, 07:36 PM   #42
Inner Circle

Thanks Douglas for the reply, I'm researching a mobile machine. Thanks for the info.
Old August 5th, 2006, 08:58 AM   #43
Trustee

IS dual core the way to go?
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2006, 10:13 AM   #44
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Delaney
IS dual core the way to go?
Dual core is essential. It's the area of greatest impact for HDV editing. I just went from an Athlon 64 3400+ to an X2 3800 running at 2.2Ghz (OC'd) and I'm seeing a significant improvement in render times. 30-50% faster depending on project settings.
Greg Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2006, 01:17 PM   #45
Trustee

The Reason Dual Core Is Essential

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Watts
Dual core is essential. It's the area of greatest impact for HDV editing. I just went from an Athlon 64 3400+ to an X2 3800 running at 2.2Ghz (OC'd) and I'm seeing a significant improvement in render times. 30-50% faster depending on project settings.
Dual core is essential because compressing video is almost entirely CPU to RAM limited. The bottle neck is how fast your CPU can getthe data from RAM and then run the millions of calculations needed to compress the video, combine pictures for fades, etc.

HD might also require a bit faster hard disk (for example, not the internal 4200RPM drives) like any 7200RPM or even a scsi 10K for some real fun.

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...