I finally made the switch! Converted! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 10th, 2006, 04:24 PM   #1
New Boot

I finally made the switch! Converted!

For 10 years I have been a Premiere user, right from version 4, and the growing buzz of Sony Vegas went on around me.

After trying Vegas once, I put it aside. Too confusing, then twice and then a really concerted effort, once again, and there it was. The breakthrough. Wow.

I am a conformed Vegas user, (admittedly with my timeline at the bottom where I am used to it, which was actually a major mental shift for me), and I won't be going back.

Excellent work flow, and every day I found something else that allows me more control, flexibility and speed than I could have ever hoped for in premiere.

My only gripe is the 10 second render blocks when pre-rendering, and it seems to take longer to render than premiere. Maybe my settings? But the speed of editing, and automation is head and shoulders.

Cheers guys,
Alex
Alex Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 04:39 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Welcome to the wonderful wacky world of Vegas. As a long time user I can tell you 'rest assured-you are not the first to mention the render times' however, the faster your computer the faster the render-also close out as much of the background programs as possible (less draw on the resources) and IF you have a heavily FX laden piece, especially if you're using MB for looks, render it at night while you sleep ;-)
Once you get used to the work flow its a fantastic program. Enjoy!
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 04:49 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hmmm. I use Vegas Movie Studio now, as well as the latest two versions of Premiere. Haven't seen the advantage of Vegas yet. Admittedly, when I go to Premiere, I am using primarily standard transitions, and the titler, which I think is superior to Vegas titling. (I think even the titler in Pinnacle Studio is superior to the Vegas titler.) I use Premiere because I'm used to the work flow, and I still don't see any great advantage for Vegas. I do do some HDV editing. I am no great lover of Adobe, but I need someone to layout why Vegas (and I am talking about full blown version) should make me want to switch.

I kind of asked this question about six months ago, but with the passage of time, I think this is a good time to see where people are at on Vegas.
Old August 10th, 2006, 08:24 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Chris,
I would generally agree about the titler in vegas and when I do need something even close to "fancy" I use Bluff or 3dImpact to make my titles. I really hope that they "fix" that in the next version.
As to why people like Vegas, well, I can only speak for myself but over the years of using it I have found it to be easy to manuver thru. I always had a hard time with the other NLES in particular Avid but thats me. I like the workflow, the ease of it, the fact that it can use scripting to accomplish many of the mundane routines that we have to perform over and over again, the plugins like Excalibur and UltimateS that make so many of those things so easy to do with 1 button. The quality of the render, while being slower than some other NLEs is IMO fantastic and while it IS slow it ha never really been a hinderance to me personally. I also like the built in audio tools which while some may feel they are limited they are again IMO far superior than any other NLEs toos and hence keep my time in an outside audio application to a minimum as most everything I need to do is right there in Vegas.
I suppose like anything else, you have folks like myself who are loyal to the product and others who are loyal to another and can't understand ones loyalty to the other product. My suggestion is get the basics of Vegas down with the "small" version you have and then decide if you like it enough to try the full version. If yes, great, if no, oh well.
Oh yeah, I also like the idea of being able to fully render my MPEGS with AC3 audio and then go right into a sister app and do my DVDs-no question that its going to work 100% of the time and finally, I LOVE the satbility of Vegas. NEVER once have I had a crash due to the program although I have had a couple because of the operator getting much too "quick on the click" and chocking the computer-I've been know to do this with other apps as well so I know its me and not the app ;-)
Anyway, I like Vegas perhaps you will perhaps not either way I promise the Vegas patrol will not come to your house in the middle of the night :-O

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 09:17 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom
Welcome to the wonderful wacky world of Vegas. As a long time user I can tell you 'rest assured-you are not the first to mention the render times' however, the faster your computer the faster the render-also close out as much of the background programs as possible (less draw on the resources) and IF you have a heavily FX laden piece, especially if you're using MB for looks, render it at night while you sleep ;-)
Once you get used to the work flow its a fantastic program. Enjoy!
Don
has anyone had any success with the network rendering. i tried to get it to work but it was such a pain in the butt that just simply gave up.
Nate Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 10:07 PM   #6
Major Player

Why do so many people around here use vegas and not avid or final cut?
Louis Maddalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 10:23 PM   #7
Major Player

Louis, are you asking this question in the VEGAS forum???
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 10:59 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Maddalena
Why do so many people around here use vegas and not avid or final cut?
I use both vegas and fcp... I like each for different reasons but I'm mainly an audio guy and Vegas is great for me and audio... I also enjoy color correcting in vegas vs FCP... but Live Type is incredible in FCP so it does keep me going there for that ;)
Kevin Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 01:20 AM   #9
Trustee

Network Rendering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Fields
has anyone had any success with the network rendering. i tried to get it to work but it was such a pain in the butt that just simply gave up.
I have fought with this issue as well. Several times in fact. I simply cannot get it to work. I finally gave up and when I am in crunch time, I copy all my media to the second machine (gigabit network of course, don't even think about anything slower) and then open the project over there and kick of the render (using windwos remote desktop so I don't actually have to switch machines) while I continue to edit on the primary machine. Seems to work so far.

But I sure would like the network rendering so I can perform a single render faster by having the stitch host chop up the render to itself and the slave system and do the stitching when completed.

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 02:40 AM   #10
Inner Circle

I don't know that anyone would dispute that vegas has the most comprehensive tools for editing audio. I know sound engineers that use vegas in lieu of pro tools.

personally, i like it because it's so simple to use.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 10:11 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Network rendering troubleshooting advice:

You might want to try the SOny forums:
http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/for....asp?ForumID=4

More people there are using network rendering.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 12:50 PM   #12
Major Player

Having started out with Pinnacle Studio, then Adobe Premiere Elements, I found PPro more intuative then Vegas. I ended up buying both, but was pretty sure I'd end up liking/wanting to use the Adobe package.
However, you just can't beat the performance of Vegas-nothing is so stable, reliable, or has as fine output to DVD. The ColorCorrecting/FX is far more organized in its layout, and allows for more precise setting/repeatability/ tweaking. I like being able to burn a DVD directly from PPro for reviewing a project on a HD front projection system. I use the Cineform program with both for HDV projects, and the output on the DVD from PPro is always fuzzy, while Vegas always looks great. The worst part, is that with the PPro render, I would wake up in the mourning to find it crashed/froze/did not complete. Vegas has NEVER let me down, it Always successfully renders.
Vegas does have its qwerks, and oddball way of doing some things, and yes the Titler is rather basic and limited, but then again with Vegas+DVD you have the glorious AC-3 encoder. In short, no NLE is perfect, and the one you use and are happy with is the one for you. Good Luck.
Paul Kepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 01:07 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogdan Vaglarov
Louis, are you asking this question in the VEGAS forum???
Where would you ask it?
Old August 12th, 2006, 01:17 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole McDonald
Where would you ask it?
Touchet... I think it is the wording of your question... you said why do you use it and "not" fcp or avid... that implies that fcp or avid is the obvious choice or default.

if the term "over" fcp or avid would have been used I personally would have read the question differently.
Kevin Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 01:30 PM   #15
Major Player

lol my bad i should have phrased it differently. I was just curious becaues it seams like most peole on dvinfo use vegas and was curious why it is so popular.
Louis Maddalena is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...