resize multiple video events at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 14th, 2006, 12:25 AM   #1
Major Player

resize multiple video events

I searched Vegas help, google and of course the board for this but maybe I don't know the correct terms to use.

My wife is budding Photoshop power user and we needed to do some rotoscoping. After we got what we wanted, 65 frames in all, I placed all the frames on the time line. Vegas puts static images on the time line at 5 seconds each. Vegas was good enough to put the images in the correct order I needed them but how do you resize them down to one frame?

I did it manually with the mouse but is there a better way?

Thanks for any help on this.
Dennis Khaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 01:07 AM   #2
Major Player

Look around for a script, one might already exist... try VASST.com and other places... also on Edward's site http://www.jetdv.com/vegas/forum/index.php there is a forum for requesting scripts... it doesn't seem like a difficult one... you might ask and someone might could whip one up for you ... but other than that I looked around in vegas and nothing jumped up at me :(
Kevin Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 03:40 AM   #3

The script is already in Vegas, Tools/Scripting/export image sequence.
Ultimate S also offers this with some additional perks.
Anyway....
After editing the photos, go to File/open, and check the image sequence box. Then import the images. They'll be one frame each, and Vegas will treat the images as though they were a single file, making it easy to apply any filters to all images regardless of how many they are.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 07:23 AM   #4
Major Player

Oh excellent, my work around was to line them all up, resize each by hand then render as QT lossless mov file, bring that back in the timeline and add the effects I needed. This is way better. Thanks again Douglas, really appreciate you being here.

@ Kevin; let no good deed go unrecognized, thanks for the tip. Scripting in Vegas is something I've avoided but during this down time I think I'll head over to Edward's site and lurk for a bit.
Old August 14th, 2006, 08:55 AM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

Dennis, as Spot said - you do a file - import - Media and then pick the first image. If they're numbered correctly, you should then be able to click on the "Open still image sequence" checkbox and specify the starting and ending numbers. That will give each image 1 frame and will give you a SINGLE event on the timeline (instead of one event per image). Resizing each image down to a single frame would be very time consuming.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 10:28 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Resizing each image down to a single frame would be very time consuming.
Oh it was. The only thing that made it bearable was the auto ripple.
Old August 14th, 2006, 04:06 PM   #7
Trustee

Preferences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Khaye
Oh it was. The only thing that made it bearable was the auto ripple.
You can also change the default still image import length and the crossfade in your Vegas preferences. That way you cna just highlight a bunch of photos in explorer or from the media poor and then drag & drop onto the timeline. OF course, this creates a media event for each one, but then you can play with them individually (pan / crop / zoom a la Ken Burns), apply coor correction individually, etc.

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 04:42 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Jason, I can see how that would be good for gradually adding certain FX. Thanks.
Old August 15th, 2006, 01:08 PM   #9
Trustee

Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Khaye
Thanks Jason, I can see how that would be good for gradually adding certain FX. Thanks.
I have done a LOT of "still photos in video productions" so I fought with Vegas for a while until I discovered that setting. Then things got easier. For example, I filmed a sunrise and took pictures of a sunrise and tried to do a time lapse for both. For the stills, I set the import length to 1 second and cross fade. to 15 frames. That meant I was always fading into one and then out to the next. Made for a nice smooth transition. Other times I was importing a ton of childhood pictures so I changed the setting again to 8 second with 1 second crossfades. Drag, drop, done. Of course then I had to play around with switching the order of the pictures for best cinamatic effect, but it still saves time.

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...