DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Subtitles (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/74112-subtitles.html)

John Lorince August 23rd, 2006 01:34 AM

Subtitles

If someone here was to setup subtitles how would you do it in vegas? I read some instructions on this, but would like some vision from someone who has done it if possible.

Jarrod Whaley August 23rd, 2006 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Lorince
If someone here was to setup subtitles how would you do it in vegas? I read some instructions on this, but would like some vision from someone who has done it if possible.

I assume you're talking about exporting subtitles for DVDA and not burned-in on-screen subtitles, right? If so... it's basically a 3-step process:

1) Add some regions wherever you want your subtitles to appear--the durations of the regions will correspond to the lengths of the subtitles. As you add each region, name it with the text you'd like to display.

2) Go to Tools / Scripting / Export regions as subtitles and save your .sub file.

3) In your DVDA project, add a subtitle track and activate it. Then right-click on the track header and select "import subtitles." Browse to your .sub file and there you go.

You can mess with text properties and colors etc. from there.

Hope that helps.

John Lorince August 23rd, 2006 11:28 AM

I get an error message

When I import subtitles into DVDA I get an error that says "Warning: An Error Occured while opening one or more files. The Reason for the error could not be determined". Anyone know why this would happen? I followed the instructions you posted Jarrod.

Jarrod Whaley August 25th, 2006 07:14 PM

What happens when you try to open the .sub file with a text editor?

John Lorince August 30th, 2006 10:02 PM

text editor?

A text editor such as what? Just curious, never messed with a sub. file before. I decided to just type in the subtitles on the frame instead, hopefully next time I will figure it out.

Jarrod Whaley August 30th, 2006 10:06 PM

Like notepad on a Windows machine, or whatever the Mac equivalent would be. Try opening it with one of these and see if everything looks OK. You'll basically just see the subtitle text with timecode information next to it.

This is just to see if Vegas is exporting the .sub file correctly. If so, then your issue is with DVDA somehow. You know, process of elimination.

But I guess you worked around the problem, so that's that.

Mike Brown December 10th, 2006 09:19 PM

As a follow-up to Jarrod's Post #2 above -- what if burned-in, on-screen subtitles are needed? Is it much more complicated than the procedure described for DVDA?

Jarrod Whaley December 10th, 2006 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Brown
As a follow-up to Jarrod's Post #2 above -- what if burned-in, on-screen subtitles are needed? Is it much more complicated than the procedure described for DVDA?

If you need hard subs, just use Vegas' titler.

Mike Brown December 11th, 2006 05:32 AM

Thanks, Jarrod.

John Lorince October 7th, 2009 02:16 PM

Subtitles Thanks

Thank you all very much for your information on subtitles, at the time I must have been too stressed out to come back and thank you all....So here is nice Big Cleveland Ohio THANKS!