Vegas 7 and HDV Editing: Is this a Viable Option - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 28th, 2006, 12:35 PM   #16
Major Player

So the advantage of the new V7 is you can edit mt2 easier, and not have the hit of the huge file sizes of the Cineform avi files?

11Gb/hr mt2 vs. 40Gb/hr Cineform
Derek Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 01:47 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weiss
So the advantage of the new V7 is you can edit mt2 easier, and not have the hit of the huge file sizes of the Cineform avi files?

11Gb/hr mt2 vs. 40Gb/hr Cineform
Yes - this is one advantage of V7. As DSE said earlier in this thread there are still many reasons why one may still prefer to use a Cineform intermediate file (intense color correction, multiple generation renders, etc). But V7 makes native HDV editing a much more viable option than it is in V6.

Note that the speed improvements in V7 require the processor to support SSE2. If your processor doesn't support SSE2 you won't see much improvement.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE2

Pentium 4 and Pentium M processors do, as do newer AMD processors..
Mark Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 07:58 AM   #18
Major Player

Thanks Mark, very helpful.
Old September 29th, 2006, 08:34 PM   #19
Major Player

Just tried the new V7 with mt2. My computer handles the m2t files better than the Cineform. With Cineform I was getting about 20fps playback, with V7 I never get less than 25fps, even in transitions, color correction, etc.

Pretty cool indeed.
Old September 30th, 2006, 10:01 PM   #20
Major Player

Would you suggest jumping to Vegas 7 or keep Vegas 6 and purchase CF Connect HD. These are my specs:P4 2.8 HT/ 2GB RAM/Ext HD 500GB. Budget is tight cause unlike the rest of you I do this as a hobbie capturing family events.
Fred Foronda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2006, 07:23 AM   #21
Inner Circle

I upgraded from Vegas 6.0d to Vegas 7.0.

I am very pleased. Some of the new features are very useful. I especially like the color line that indicates you have two events aligned properly. I also appreciate that you can import a four channel (polyphonic) ".wav" file properly. This was not possible in Vegas 6.0.

I am now doing all of my editing in Vegas 7.0 and have not any problem other than an obscure problem with using 192k audio files (this problem exists in Vegas 6.0d also). (I was just testing 192k-24bit audio while I was recording a world class singer, generally there is no need for 192k audio, as far as I know.)

In the cases where you want to edit M2T, the system is much more responsive. This was painful with Vegas 6.0, but is possible with Vegas 7.0 depending on your computer's performance.

However, for serious work, I recommend using the Cineform Intermediate Codec, which is included in Vegas 6.0 and Vegas 7.0.

There is an advantage, in your workflow, if you purchase the Cineform Connect HD, as the Cineform files are created directly when you capture. Without this, you capture M2T files, then render them, in Vegas 6.0 or 7.0 to the Cineform files. This is an extra step that is eliminated by Connect HD.

I recommend purchasing Vegas 7.0. If you do decide to purchase it, do it soon while the upgrade price is only $150 (packaged price).

Personally, I will probably purchase Cineform Connect HD sometime in the future. I held up on this purchase prior to Vegas 7.0 being released since I did not know if Vegas 7.0 would eliminate the need for Connect HD or not.

Fred, to answer your question directly, you can stay with 6.0d, and you will not even need to purchase Cineform HD. If you feel that $150 or so is in your budget, purchase the Vegas 7.0 upgrade.
Old October 1st, 2006, 01:51 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton
Fred, to answer your question directly, you can stay with 6.0d, and you will not even need to purchase Cineform HD. If you feel that $150 or so is in your budget, purchase the Vegas 7.0 upgrade.
Thats the delima. I can either have one or the other. If I do get Vegas 7 then I will not intend to get Cineform down the road. Reading what others said about 7 and HD there is no need to use intermediate files. I check the upgrade site and it said $249 with the DVD. I guess I missed the boat.
Old October 1st, 2006, 05:01 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Dear Fred,

Sony's website is confusing, and wrong at times.

When I purchased my upgrade, I expected it to cost $249.95, but it was actually $149.95.

The $149.95 price for upgrades is good until October 31, 2006.

The following is from an email from Sony:

"As a Sony Media Software registered customer, you qualify for special introductory pricing through October 31, 2006.

Upgrade from Vegas for only $149.95 $100 off!"
Old October 2nd, 2006, 07:30 AM   #24
Regular Crew

My opinion is if you can only buy one of them, buy the Vegas 7 upgrade over Connect HD. The main reason being that you already have the Cineform codec in Vegas, so you can use it for cases where you need it, but likely you'll find you can do most of your HDV editing natively in V7. Plus you get a bunch of other nice enhancements in V7.
Old October 2nd, 2006, 01:48 PM   #25
Major Player

Thanks everyone. I plan to get the upgrade 6 to Vegas 7. The site still says 249, I must have deleted that email for the promotion.
Old October 2nd, 2006, 01:53 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Dear Fred,

Just call Sony Media Software, they should give you the $149.95 upgrade price for the packaged edition.
Old October 2nd, 2006, 02:38 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Link to upgrade pricing

You can also get the discounted upgrade pricing here
https://www.sonymediasoftware.com/sh...ode=63003-1100
Old October 3rd, 2006, 04:58 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Vegas 7 and HDV Editing: Is this a Viable Option

Hey everyone, this is my first post. User of Vegas 7 and Cineform Connect HD. Nothing much to say other than Vegas rocks and the Connect HD app aswell...

http://www.cineform.com/products/Con...nhances_Vegas6

Will probably hear from me in the future, great to be here...

Regards
Van Zijl
Van Zijl Loots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 08:51 PM   #29
Major Player

Got extra money this month from jury duty. To support my habit...took the plunge and getting my upgrade to Vegas 7. Can't wait....

Last edited by Fred Foronda; October 17th, 2006 at 01:44 AM.
Old October 17th, 2006, 03:03 AM   #30
Major Player

Actually, the m2v's aren't capturing correctly in Vegas, so the native editing solution isn't any good. On about 10% of the clips, the captured audio is longer then the captured video, preview on half size (a quarter of the pixels) is fine, but on full res it is a disaster...

If I try to import over 20 m2v files in a project, an error occurs and the project and vegas shut down...
Werner Wesp is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...