Vegas 7 and JVC 24p HDV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 13th, 2006, 06:59 AM   #1
Major Player

Vegas 7 and JVC 24p HDV

Does Vegas 7 now support native capture, editing and output JVC`s 24p HDV or will we stay depending on intermediate codecs like Cineform?
Thanks
Ron
Ron German is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 11:29 AM   #2
Major Player

Hello
Simple question...No answer???
Ron
Old September 13th, 2006, 11:42 AM   #3
Major Player

JVC's 25p works fine, but it already worked fine in 6.0d... I would expect no probs with 24p
Werner Wesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 03:52 PM   #4
Major Player

Why does people using FCP seem to have a problem with hDV 24p? I seem to read a lot of threads where people have problems editing 24p using FCP.
Joe Bowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 09:37 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Ron, editing 24p footage from the HD100 in Vegas 7 will feel like editing DV. You'll love it.
George David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 07:46 AM   #6
Major Player

Thank you George
“editing 24p footage from the HD100 in Vegas 7 will feel like editing DV”
You mean just using Vegas 7, I can capture, edit and output JVC`s 24p HDV without the help of Cineform ConectHD?
Best
Ron
Old September 14th, 2006, 09:33 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Ron, that is correct. Connect your HD100 via firewire, fire it up. Vegas 7 has an internal capture program (not the external which is only for DV) and you will be prompted whether you want to capture DV or HDV. Your camera will be recognized. Capture m2t files (log and batch if necessary). Drag the m2t files on the timeline. Edit away without an intermediate. Now I've read from Spot that it's better to edit with m2ts when there is no or minimal color correction involved. It's still good to use an intermediate otherwise.

IMHO, shooting your HD100 with the look you want in-camera and editing the native m2ts yield the best results in color and resolution.

Regardless, editing HDV or Cineform AVI will be super quick.

Good luck!!!
Old November 17th, 2006, 02:51 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Dear Vegas Friends: I'm one of those sufferers with a JVC GY-HD100UA and Final Cut Pro...where we see these errant scene-breaks occur when we bring video from the camera into our computers. I get the impression that George and others here are experiencing NO such problems in Vegas. Well we are not about to throw all our FCP licenses (and FCP editors!) out the window, but I wonder if we could benefit by buying one copy of Vegas 7 and using it to import all our raw footage onto an external drive in some format or another that could then be opened in FCP. Does anyone hereabouts know if that would work? Over on the MAC boards the talk is all about 'workarounds' -- if this works it could be the easiest workaround yet...
Old November 18th, 2006, 10:46 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by George David
Ron, that is correct. Connect your HD100 via firewire, fire it up. Vegas 7 has an internal capture program (not the external which is only for DV) and you will be prompted whether you want to capture DV or HDV. Your camera will be recognized. Capture m2t files (log and batch if necessary). Drag the m2t files on the timeline. Edit away without an intermediate. Now I've read from Spot that it's better to edit with m2ts when there is no or minimal color correction involved. It's still good to use an intermediate otherwise.

IMHO, shooting your HD100 with the look you want in-camera and editing the native m2ts yield the best results in color and resolution.

Regardless, editing HDV or Cineform AVI will be super quick.

Good luck!!!
Which Vegas 7 preset on Property Prefs to the timeline should you use? HD-1080-24p?

" I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here! ..."
Phil Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2006, 02:13 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi Scott, the workaround that I use to transfer my windows files to FCP is to capture the m2ts in Vegas and then transfer/convert that using MPEG Streamclip to Apple HDV 720p24 or AIC. However, I only do this if I have to because the process is very long and painful. If I know I'll be using FCP from the start, I just use the built-in capture to Apple HDV just like the rest. If you capture in Vegas, you might as well edit in Vegas :-) You may like it.

Phil, the Vegas preset that I use is customized - HDV 1280 x 720, 23.976 fps. It's weird that this setting is not among the built-in presets. I use the HDV 720-25p template and change the frame rate.
Old November 18th, 2006, 04:16 PM   #11
Regular Crew

yeah. That's what I thought would need to happen but you are correct it is weird that this there is no 720/24p preset....just wanted to make sure I was seeing this correctly.

Now the next question: So you do the project with these presets - what is the destination for the video? You can put it to 24p DVD NTSC Widescreen Mpg for your DVD Architect project. That would seem to be the only option to take advantage - cheaply - of the 24p the HD100 records - correct? Can you PRINT TO HD TAPE? Would it render properly in that mode?

I am just trying to see what the viable options are given the infancy of HD DVD and the cost of trying to do a true filmout. Most of my projects now are going to DVD Architect in SD. I save the M2T file created when printing to Tape for possible hd render to DVD later on. I am curious about other's workflows on this....

Old November 19th, 2006, 01:04 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Phil, my favorite is to output to WMVHD 720p and use a projector connected via DVI or LCD TV to showcase a high-def video. I also like to output back to tape or straight m2t (mpeg2 HDV) so I can take that finished project anywhere at it's best state. For SD DVD, I take that same file (m2t), drop it on DVD architect and use the DV 24p setting (23.976, progressive). Under the video tab, if there is a setting for Best, I always choose that.

How do you like the HD100?

Last edited by George David; November 19th, 2006 at 01:37 AM.
Old November 20th, 2006, 08:48 AM   #13
Regular Crew

George - thanks for the reply. I don't have the JVC HD100 yet but was gathering technical information and how it works with Vegas, etc. Looks like a great camera. I have the Sony HDR-HC1 now and am considering upgrading.

Old November 20th, 2006, 09:08 AM   #14

FWIW..I went from a Canon XL2 to an HD110U. The JVC is a totally enjoyable camera, much more user friendly than the Canon, seems to have more latitude, and is so much nicer to use than the Canon. All in all, I love it.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...