A few questions about the DVDa... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 17th, 2006, 06:08 PM   #1
Trustee

A few questions about the DVDa...

I have finally burned a successful DVD with Architech - few problems though :

1) The audio/sound seems to have picked up annoying clicks and smacks when the actor talks - I am don't know if this is a case of compression of the sound? Any suggestions on how to get rid of this?

2) I rendered this in VV widescreen 24p HD - but when I ran DVDa it boxed it 4:3 - is it just a matter of changing the properties to widescreen?

3) I want to take snapshot images of the first image in the chapters - how can I do this and insert that into a button?

4) Since I rendered this out in VV, do I need to prepare the disc in DVDA? Isn't it already prepared from the rendering?

Thanks in advance.
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2006, 03:38 AM   #2
Regular Crew

1) The compression shouldn't cause this. Are you sure it's not on the original audio? Could also be an issue with the PC or playback device.

2) Yes - you need to set the DVDa properties to Widescreen to create a widescreen DVD.

3) Not quite sure what you are asking. When you say insert an image into a button, do you mean choosing the image to display on a button? That is simply a matter of setting the button properties (Button properties, media, thumbnail settings). You can chose still or animated and select any frame or section of any video or still.

4) If you have rendered out in VV, then DVDA won't need to re-render the video. But it still needs to prepare - the prepare step is creating the DVD structure. Most likely it will also need to render the menus.
Mark Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2006, 07:06 AM   #3
Trustee

Thanks Mark,

For the thumbnails, I thought it would automatically pick the first frame of the chapter for me (video frame) and put it in the button - so instead, I pick thumbnail?
Old September 18th, 2006, 07:17 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I see what you are asking now.. and yes - if you create a scene selection menu, by default it sets the thumbnails to be a still of the first frame of the chapter. (Now it may not be exactly frame accurate... possibly in VV7/DVDA4 it is if the markers are set at I-frames). You can change them to a different frame if needed.
Old September 18th, 2006, 07:59 AM   #5
Inner Circle

David, the other thing you could do is go back to the project in Vegas, do a still frame capture at the chapter start, save that image and use it in DVDA as the button image.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2006, 11:47 AM   #6
Trustee

Yeah, it is not automatically putting an image in the thumbnail for some reason. I have 7 chapters and none of them are showing up.
Old September 18th, 2006, 12:09 PM   #7
Sponsor: JET DV

How did you create the menu options? Did you create a "scene selection menu"? If yes, that should have put the first frame of the chapter as the image for the button for that chapter.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2006, 01:32 PM   #8
New Boot

If you Fade-In to your chapters, then the very first frame will be black... as will the thumbnail on the button.
Ron Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 09:06 AM   #9
Trustee

No I picked one of the templates to do it, but I can't find for the life of me, the option to pick thumbnails for the buttons...Alot of my chapters start with a graphic/image, so they shouldn't be black, but they are...
Old September 19th, 2006, 09:20 AM   #10
Regular Crew

In DVDA - go to your Scene selection menu

- Single Click on the first button/thumbnail
- In the "Button Properties" window, click on the "media" tab
- There you will see "Thumbnail properties": The media file, if it is still or animated, and the "start time". For a still thumbnail, "start time" is the specific frame to be used. You can also use a still (e.g. jpeg) file as the media file, in which case the "start time" will be 0.
Old September 19th, 2006, 09:22 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Or, it might be easier to delete the Scene Selection you've done, and add it back using the "Insert Scene Selection" method.
Old September 19th, 2006, 09:37 AM   #12
Trustee

Ok, I do notice the start time, but it is greyed out...
Maybe the problem is I am using the FILM negative buttons (provided in the template) and they won't allow me to put an image in the middle of it?
Old September 19th, 2006, 09:42 AM   #13
Regular Crew

If start time is greyed out, it means either:

- The thumbnail media is a still (in which case the start time will be all zeros), or
- The thumbnail media file specified can not be found. (which would explain why you'd be getting black thumbnails). Check that the media file path is correct.
Old September 19th, 2006, 09:47 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Sorry you've lost me - I'm not sure what "the FILM negative buttons" are.
When you say you applied a template, do you mean a theme?
What version of DVDA are you using?
Old September 19th, 2006, 10:13 AM   #15
Trustee

Yes a Theme. It is the film theme with the clap board in the background image. It has some ready made buttons of a film-negative - so that is my guess why I can't add an image into the center of them (but it also seems weird that I can't either because it would be a perfect fit).
David Delaney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...