What's the Verdict on Vegas 7 ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 8th, 2006, 01:54 PM   #1
Major Player

What's the Verdict on Vegas 7 ?

I have Vegas 6.0d. Is it worth the upgrade?
From the feature list it doesn't appear that there are any big differences, except XD camera support-which I don't need. Does it truly do native HDV, or is it just using an internal version of Cineform? I also have Pinnacle Studio version 10.5. It does native HDV, and, while the program is just a cheap ($75) basic program, a test clip that I tried seemed to handle motion beautifulloy, something I've been unable to get Cineform to do.

I am a bit surpirsed that Sony doesn't include support to burn a BlueRay disc from HDV in Vegas 7 and DVD Architect 4.
Paul Kepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2006, 04:16 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Yes it does do native HDV. Try the demo.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2006, 06:17 PM   #3
Sponsor: VASST

Also there are so many improvements in the editor like the new snapping feature and the ability to control the keyframe smoothness in the preferences, just to name two. IMHO it is well worth the upgrade for the productivity improvements alone. (but I do love the new native HDV editing)

~jr
Old October 8th, 2006, 08:04 PM   #4
Inner Circle

duplicate post - see below
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2006, 08:10 PM   #5
Inner Circle

If you are on a laptop or a sub-3.6GHz processor that isn't dual core or duo you'll notice a HUGE difference in how well V7 previews native M2T on the timeline over V6.

For example, V6 on a 3.06 Pentium 4 is not quite adequate to even do logging & selects on native M2T. V7 - easy to do shot selections and simple editing at near full-framerate (preview-auto).

I suppose more complex editing with M2T would also become a lower load on the processor, increasing framerate with multiple layers, keys, filters, etc.

Many others, especially Mr. Spotted Eagle have recommended that digital intermediates such as cineform are still a neccessity when it comes to multiple generations before output, color correction, & etc. which makes sense to me. I've not finished an HDV project since V7 came out. But I'm VERY impressed with how M2T now performs on the timeline.

Timecode - if you use camera timecode for logging reference, or synching multicamera or double-system audio with HDV you gotta' have V7. So far, I've seen it work on Sony 1080i footage and JVC HD100 at 30p. Doesn't seem to work for HD100-24p.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 12:33 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Everyone

Thanks for the input everybody. I broke down and ordered last night. I figured I better before I forget and the 10/31/06 deadline for the $150 upgrade had past. Still wish there was some software for making a HD BlueRay disc. I love my HC-1 HDV camcorder. Clips played directly from it are far superior to the downrezzed DVD's we can make now.
Paul Kepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2006, 02:55 PM   #7
Major Player

Dvda 4

What's the verdict on DVDA 4?

I know there are some nice new features, but has there been any change/improvement in the image quality of the final render?

Brian
Brian Mitchell Warshawsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2006, 11:51 AM   #8
Rextilleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Mitchell Warshawsky
What's the verdict on DVDA 4?

I know there are some nice new features, but has there been any change/improvement in the image quality of the final render?

Brian

The mpeg encoder is the same---what problem do you have with image quality? Mine look great.
Red #97
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2006, 12:53 PM   #9
Major Player

>>>>>what problem do you have with image quality? Mine look great.

I had no problem with DVDA 3 either, but since Sony saw fit to make improvements anyway, it is helpful to know if the improvements extended beyond usability features.

There may never be a point where we declare that image quality can no longer be improved upon.

Brian
Brian Mitchell Warshawsky is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...